I'm Commander Shepard and this is also my favorite thread on Obsidian

Pidesco

Lots of interesting theories and comments. Upon reflection, I agree with Grommy's point that the game itself gave little "new" information beyond the

Protheans are now evil Collectors, and Reapers want to replicate based on human DNA

. It's frankly surprising that I had as much fun as I did with ME2, given all the WTF moments that made me go, "whoa!"

The first of these was when the council pulled the

"Reapers? Hahahaha. There are no reapers. That big ugly thing that nearly destroyed the Citadel was just an overgrown geth."

I mean, are they kidding? How many kinds of gallactic stupid are there in this universe anyway? So right away I'm thinking, OMG, it's like ME1 never happened and we're starting from scratch with these jerks. Then we've got Liara's evil twin, which was akin to Alistair's sudden out-of-character tantrum in DA:O... went against everything the character had established during 100 hours of gameplay without the slightest explanation. I don't want to have to write in my head all the reasons why seemingly illogical writing could be rendered logical with enough "what ifs". It's not the player's job to fill in the blanks with their own speculations; it's the writer's job to make sense in the context of the story and characters they have created.

Overall, not much of the ME1 story was advanced. The quests themselves really carried this game for me, though. They were interesting, varied and held my attention well. I'm finding combat easier in my second game (for obvious reasons), and I'm really having fun experimenting with various powers and combos. Well worth the money, IMHO, based on gaming fun... but it felt superficial, story-wise. At the end of ME 1 I couldn't wait to be propelled toward the next breath-taking episode of ME2. At the end of ME2, I just kinda felt like... okay, there's going to be an ME3, but I have no idea where it's going and just don't care at the moment. Kind of... meh, story-wise. Quests and characters basically carried this game for me.

Yatzhee sort of summed it up in his Half-life 2: Episode 2 review, when he called it the middle-child; Fun to play and with some interesting stuff going on, but basically just filler because episode 3 is on the - seemingly very distant - horizon to wrap things up. I could see that applying to ME2 as well.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

"Reapers? Hahahaha. There are no reapers. That big ugly thing that nearly destroyed the Citadel was just an overgrown geth."

I mean, are they kidding? How many kinds of gallactic stupid are there in this universe anyway? So right away I'm thinking, OMG, it's like ME1 never happened and we're starting from scratch with these jerks.

I dunno to me

these are the same guys who didn't believe you when you said Saren was a traitor, didn't believe you when you said the conduit was real and didn't believe you when you said the Reapers were the real threat.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I mean, are they kidding? How many kinds of gallactic stupid are there in this universe anyway? So right away I'm thinking, OMG, it's like ME1 never happened and we're starting from scratch with these jerks.

I dunno to me

these are the same guys who didn't believe you when you said Saren was a traitor, didn't believe you when you said the conduit was real and didn't believe you when you said the Reapers were the real threat.

They're a transparent obstacle put there for plot reasons, made annoying so that we, the players, can take pleasure in their eventual comeuppance. They're basically the tweedy police captain who is always hassling the hero cop into doing his paperwork and not embarrassing whichever corrupt politician happens to be mixed up with the villainous drug lords.

Also, the best unintentional comedy in the series was the ME1 was Shep and Anderson insisting that the Council was crazy for not basing galactic policy on a 50,000-year-old unconfirmable psychic message experienced by exactly one person.

Also, the best unintentional comedy in the series was the ME1 was Shep and Anderson insisting that the Council was crazy for not basing galactic policy on a 50,000-year-old unconfirmable psychic message experienced by exactly one person.
Two words: Asari mindmeldjoining.

There's a good chance they'd just call Shepard insane. Especially that Turian councilor.

I wonder what would've happened if Benezia had waied and sided with you instead of running off with Saren.

There's a good chance they'd just call Shepard insane. Especially that Turian councilor.

Still the asari would be inclined to accept it and where the asari go the turian and salarian follow.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I dunno to me

They're a transparent obstacle put there for plot reasons, made annoying so that we, the players, can take pleasure in their eventual comeuppance. They're basically the tweedy police captain who is always hassling the hero cop into doing his paperwork and not embarrassing whichever corrupt politician happens to be mixed up with the villainous drug lords.

That's just it; the council's complaints are rather easy to see IMO. They're taking a conservative approach and using what they can see and IMO have been consistent from ME1 to ME2 (and also I don't really think that Shep was wrong for fighting for what he knew even if he was the only one who knew it. Anderson might be the odd one out, but he basically supports Shep; something to the effect of "if you say it happened, then I believe you".

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I dunno to me

That's just it; the council's complaints are rather easy to see IMO. They're taking a conservative approach and using what they can see and IMO have been consistent from ME1 to ME2 (and also I don't really think that Shep was wrong for fighting for what he knew even if he was the only one who knew it. Anderson might be the odd one out, but he basically supports Shep; something to the effect of "if you say it happened, then I believe you".

I really should give up trying but every time I replay the game I still try to make Shepard have a decent sensible conversation with the council but someone always have to ruin it :(

In the first game I try hard to agree with the Asari in the first council meeting when they made us a Spectre. We really don't know enough at that point for Shepard to point fingers and yell at them about the Reapers based on only a vision she herself admit she doesn't understand and some vague data found in a geth's memory core. In the second game one would think Shepard learned how the council worked already and just stick with facts. (Human colonies are vanishing, Collectors are starting to take whole planets instead of a few individuals) but noooo.

The annoying part about it all though is that even when I carefully do manage to keep Shepard from ranting about these things to the council one of the companions will always jump in with a vision/Reaper comment. I so wish I could strangle them at times. They should let us go alone to these meetings in the third game o:)

[Edit] I mean what does Jacob know about the Reapers anyway to make him jump all over the council? It's also a bit amusing Shepard shows more respect for the illusive man then she ever did to the council.

Edited by zazei

You can't make Shepherd have a decent conversation - the character is a total moron or your average douchebag. In ME2 especially, it always goes like this: that odd choice on the left is "say something stupid and get corrected by the NPC", the three on the right are basically "say something everyone already knew or bark out an order any idiot would have already been following". And then you get into the "investigate" choices which wind up to "Tell me about X". Sometimes there are other choices on the left, which are usually "Ask a question you *know* is way too personal" for renegade choices.

Just listen to Shepherd once in a while, he/she's the worst character in the game.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

You can't make Shepherd have a decent conversation - the character is a total moron or your average douchebag. In ME2 especially, it always goes like this: that odd choice on the left is "say something stupid and get corrected by the NPC", the three on the right are basically "say something everyone already knew or bark out an order any idiot would have already been following". And then you get into the "investigate" choices which wind up to "Tell me about X". Sometimes there are other choices on the left, which are usually "Ask a question you *know* is way too personal" for renegade choices.

Just listen to Shepherd once in a while, he/she's the worst character in the game.

FemShep is awesome, thanks to Jennifer Hale.

MaleShep? Let's say there's a very particular reason why I haven't even finished a ME1 run with a male. >_<

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

The council is just plain damn irritating... Udina is even worse... It seems that Anderson is the only sane politician in the galaxy, and he's really a soldier, not a politician... Perhaps that's why he's not an utter idiot...

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

The council is just plain damn irritating... Udina is even worse... It seems that Anderson is the only sane politician in the galaxy, and he's really a soldier, not a politician... Perhaps that's why he's not an utter idiot...

Yeah, everything I said about the Council applies to Udina, too. Lame, cliched character design-- heap on the stereotypes people associate with "politician" and "bureaucrat," then make him behave like a petulant teenager just to be sure. They did everything short of tattoo "You're supposed to hate this guy" across his forehead.

I picked him for the Council seat just because the game seemed to want me not to.

I picked him for the Council seat just because the game seemed to want me not to.
I tried this in my last go, and after comparing I think he's the best choice.

Anderson obviously can't fill a councilor's shoes, and seems to have trouble getting anything done -- the man's a stiffneck and inexperienced to boot. On top of everything, he doesn't seem to be particularly thrilled by his new job. Udina on the other hand is extremely conservative and cautious, but I remember hearing that he actually gets things done no matter the amount of people aliens he pisses in the process. And he's clearly a political animal...

edit: me fail English? That's unpossible!

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I didn't hate Udina, but he was very much a politician. He'd kiss Krogan babies if it'd get him what he wanted/further the interests of the Alliance.

I'm actually playing a maleShep for the first time through ME1 - have always had problems completing a run with him before, but I'm almost done with ME1 and ready to port to ME2 and plan on choosing Udina to be the council rep.

When I was talking to Udina in ME2 I wanted a renegade interrupt to pop-in so I could punch him. I was sorely disappointed when it didn't.

Irrelevant thought: Why does everyone hate the Mako? Once IO figured it out, I actually liked it... I could kill things faster when I wasn't in it, but it was a relatively efficient mode of transportation IMO...

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Irrelevant thought: Why does everyone hate the Mako? Once IO figured it out, I actually liked it... I could kill things faster when I wasn't in it, but it was a relatively efficient mode of transportation IMO...

Only on flat terrain and there wasn't an awful lot of that around.

Guest Slinky

Speaking of vehicles, the Hammerhead DLC pack is going to get released next tuesday.

But it aint the only thing that's going to get released that day! Get ready foooooor.... The Alternate Appearance Pack!

alternate_appearance-01-o.jpg

The Alternate Appearance Pack features new outfits for your favorite squad members, including Garrus, Thane, and Subject Zero.

Price: 160 BioWare Points.

Jack: Can't see ****, Commander!

Edited by Slinky
Seems like we have a problem with the language filter?

When I was talking to Udina in ME2 I wanted a renegade interrupt to pop-in so I could punch him. I was sorely disappointed when it didn't.

I never hated the mako.

That said, it'd have been nice if there was an easy way to tell what mountains it'd scale and which ones it wouldn't without trial and error.

Speaking of vehicles, the Hammerhead DLC pack is going to get released next tuesday.

But it aint the only thing that's going to get released that day! Get ready foooooor.... The Alternate Appearance Pack!

alternate_appearance-01-o.jpg

The Alternate Appearance Pack features new outfits for your favorite squad members, including Garrus, Thane, and Subject Zero.

Price: 160 BioWare Points.

Jack: Can't see ****, Commander!

Jeeeeesus, you have to be kidding me.

They should have put the duct tape over her mouth instead, amirite?

/actually thought Jack was a decent character

Oh, and it looks like Garrus finally got that armor patched up.

Edited by Gorth
Quote edited

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs