I'm Commander Shepard and this is also my favorite thread on Obsidian

Pidesco

"going on to spend on grinding like that"

Grinding? I don't think ME2 has much real grinding since pretty much every battle is strictly story base. It's not like DA where while it doesn't btoher, it definitely can be seen as 'grindy'. ME2 battles are all set pieces and are there with an actual purpose.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Grinding? I don't think ME2 has much real grinding since pretty much every battle is strictly story base. It's not like DA where while it doesn't btoher, it definitely can be seen as 'grindy'. ME2 battles are all set pieces and are there with an actual purpose.

I think the point wasn't about ME2 generally. Rather about ME2, played on Insanity difficulty-- with the health and protections of enemies ramped up so high, all the combats turn into tests of one's endurance and patience.

I think the point wasn't about ME2 generally. Rather about ME2, played on Insanity difficulty-- with the health and protections of enemies ramped up so high, all the combats turn into tests of one's endurance and patience.

Bingo.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

levels o' difficulty such as Insane, Nightmare, or Superfrag is all kinda wacky. in d&d crpgs you sees developers give monsters ridiculous hp totals, superior thac0 and near automatic save rolls. "Insanity" is little more than relative simple data entry adjustments that does indeed increase difficulty-- a crude, but effective approach. da were similar. in point o' fact, as a player we had a hard time distinguishing 'tween da's hardcore and nightmare difficulty. me2? even on the ordinary difficulty, me2 enemies have perfect aim, so how does a developer make me2 more difficult? add layers o' protection. is a simple method for making game more difficult. crude, but effective.

am not sure what people expect from increased difficulties. developers ain't gonna change enemy ai or complete redesign combat encounters to achieve greater difficulty. increased difficulties will almost invariably be the result o' some straightforward and blunt method for pumping up the abilities and defenses o' the enemies you is likely to encounter.

now, something like the ascension mod for tob were... different. each tob boss encounter gots a nice tweak. made for a nifty bonus for serious fan who wished for a bit more challenge on subsequent plays of game. 'course tob's ascension were involving considerable volunteer work from gaider and others to complete. would be nice if all games did similar, but am not certain that it is fair to expect such developer efforts for all games.

however, as we is increasingly witnessing dlc spam from publishers, am thinking we would much appreciate a tuned-up boss battles dlc package for many games such as da and me2. as opposed to warden's keep or return to ostegar, we would rather have an altered and optimized boss battles dlc option for purchase... similar to tob ascension stuff.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Nah, the best additional ability is Reave. It gets **** done, and done quick.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Reave is very nice, if you don't have Warp or Incinerate.

I play as a Vanguard, so yeah...

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Reave is very nice, if you don't have Warp or Incinerate.

I play as a Vanguard, so yeah...

You're granted another ability on your next playthrough, which is what they meant by additional ability (I think), so yeah...

developers ain't gonna change enemy ai or complete redesign combat encounters to achieve greater difficulty.
Have you tried SCS/SCSII? It seriously boosts encounter difficulty across the board without resorting to the lame cheating bull**** developers fall back to when they need to up difficulty. It simply makes use of smart scripting to give the AI a more or less accurate idea of what the player is doing and then the AI makes "informed" and sensible decisions. And it's all strictly legit - so it can be done. Of course, I have no idea about the amount of man-hours that went into making that mod.

I get what you are saying, and it's difficult to disagree... developers have much more important business to take care of (such as romance) and who cares about competent AI that can actually surprise you from fight to fight, anyway. Gimme another inane JNPC to distract my attention or a few more FedEx quests any day!

however, as we is increasingly witnessing dlc spam from publishers, am thinking we would much appreciate a tuned-up boss battles dlc package for many games such as da and me2. as opposed to warden's keep or return to ostegar, we would rather have an altered and optimized boss battles dlc option for purchase... similar to tob ascension stuff.
IIRC, Ascension was Gaider's original vision of what the battles should have been, or at least some components were initially in the game but were scrapped when testers got raped repeatedly (Illasera, Demogorgon), so in a sense the content was already there and it was not that much work to make it public. But I doubt we'll see devs re-working aspects of the game that are considered finished, much as I'd want to personally. Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Think of it this way: you are saving a lot of turian lives!

Meh, Turians, I feel as much empathy for them as I do the Drell (nada). I suppose I like Krogans and Salarians for their comic relief. Something about about their single minded pursuit of their racial idiosyncracy. Mordins comments and advice on my sexual relationship with Jack made me laugh out loud -_-

@ Gorth and his fish fetish. :lol:

Hey, want to buy some rare Presidum Fish? Full of healthy Omega 4 fatty acids!

Edit: My spelling needs some vitamins

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

@ Gorth and his fish fetish. -_-

Hey, want to buy some rare Presidum Fish? Full of health Omega 4 fatty acids!

Presidium Fish?! I can pay you a LOT for it, mister. I was saving up to buy me a new woman but with the anti-pimp laws here in California, I wouldn't be able to use her anyway.

manthing2.jpg

Speaking of species... I think my Master of Orion 2 fanboyism is getting unhealthy. I keep comparing the ME species to the Moo2 species. Krogan/Sakkra, Salarian/Psilon, Asari/Elerian, Hanar/Trilarian, Geth/Meklar, Volus/Gnolam, Human/Human (duh), Turian/Alkari, Collector/Klackon. Elcor doesn't seem to have an equivalent. Moo2 has a few more species to spare though (Darlock, Mrrshan & Silicoid). Bioware, why couldn't you have made a Master of Orion crpg instead, most of the ingredients are there, right down to the extra-galactic threat (Reapers/Antareans)?!? -_-

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

... Omega 4 fatty acids...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would like to take this moment to hijack the thread away from fishes... and onto a point that I feel has been barely touched (needs more love :lol: ) characters.

Before everyone starts ranting about how much they love/hate who and who I would like to; at least, have some discussions about the writing.

Personally I feel them vague and shallow, they are pretty much what they look like. The only way I can think of making them bearable is reminding myself: "They are not Zaeed".

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

The only way I can think of making them bearable is reminding myself: "They are not Zaeed".
And Zaeed is...?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

The only way I can think of making them bearable is reminding myself: "They are not Zaeed".
And Zaeed is...?

This piece of worn down meat

zaeed3.jpg

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Yeah, Zaeed isn't much fun to chat with. And he may not be a very good soldier, but I took him on my Grunt recruitment last night and I learned one thing. He's a better soldier than I am. :lol:

On the plus side, I've got tons of resources now! On the minus side, I spent a whole bunch of them on a thing-a-ma-jiggy that is supposed to make planet scans faster and easier... and I didn't see any danged difference in scanning. Maybe I'm supposed to turn it on or something.

I suck at this game. But I'm still enjoying the hell out of it. How sick is that?? lol

The difference is in the speed at which the scanner goes. It's very useful.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I would like to take this moment to hijack the thread away from fishes... and onto a point that I feel has been barely touched (needs more love :lol: ) characters.

Before everyone starts ranting about how much they love/hate who and who I would like to; at least, have some discussions about the writing.

Personally I feel them vague and shallow, they are pretty much what they look like. The only way I can think of making them bearable is reminding myself: "They are not Zaeed".

The irony. The one woman on board the Normandy I want to "romance" only wants to be friends. Maybe Samara will pop up in ME3, who knows.

I suppose team members have different ratings. Some might rate higher for their skills, some for their personality. Ignoring their skills, I tend to favour the companionship of Samara and Mordin. Not sure if I can deliver a long dissertation on why, it just simply is. Maybe its their backgrounds, they appear more "stable" than most of the rest.

My squad is comprised of my 2 favorites: Mordin and Grunt. They both kick ass and both are friggin' great.

For cities, I tend to bring Miranda instead of Grunt. Much better.

The irony. The one woman on board the Normandy I want to "romance" only wants to be friends. Maybe Samara will pop up in ME3, who knows.

I suppose team members have different ratings. Some might rate higher for their skills, some for their personality. Ignoring their skills, I tend to favour the companionship of Samara and Mordin. Not sure if I can deliver a long dissertation on why, it just simply is. Maybe its their backgrounds, they appear more "stable" than most of the rest.

Ditto on the Samara romance. Sometimes I do like her shooting down Shepard since it makes her more "real" and not just another pixelated moronic romance that happens because it must happen and only serve to enhance games as ego stroking tool.

But really, IMO she is the best written character. Love how she can be both warm and ruthless, full of experience but at the same time her demeanor is minimalist. Plus a thousand years of experience trapped within that body :lol:

She really was the only fleshed out relationship of all the characters. Also; I love Aria, maybe I have a thing for blue women.

Jack is a whiny emo

Grunt is downright boring when he is not threating things (loved his loyalty mission though)

Miranda is the most superficial and empty character ever, once you get through her Ice queen facade she is empty.

Jason is just another typical military grunt.

Tali's okay but I feel that her role was downplayed compared to ME, specially since she was written as a romance and is a returning character.

Thane mysteriousness gets boring after 3 conversations that end with asking myself WTF did he meant.

Mordin is another of my favorites.

Garrus has improved over ME, he has grown into his own and no longer seems to be a Shepard clone.

And that's just on the companions.

PS: Enterix was right, Twinkies do help on rants.

village_idiot.gif