I'm Commander Shepard and this is also my favorite thread on Obsidian

Pidesco

Accompany Shepard in an EXTREME suicide debate of the game's merits, here.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Oh and i'd like to take this opportunity to say i really &%^ing hate husks in ME2. grumble grumble stupid flanking grumble dammit
You have the wrong powers and/or squadmates. If on Veteran or below, take Throw Field or someone who has it, problem solved. You can spam this so fast it's ridiculous. You can also substitute or combine that with squad Cryo ammo, too, for amazing CC results. Even Concussive Blast will make a mess on a bunch of unprotected husks.

If on Hardcore or above, the flammable or inflammable (forget which) area thing will make short work of the armor of whole groups, that can then be quickly and efficiently dispatched with the methods discussed above.

As for biotics, you're absolutely right about the shared cooldown killing the fun. Now to rub salt into the wounds, on Veteran or higher, all bogies are packing some serious biotic resistant barriers. So even if you get off a powah, it's pretty much useless.
ME2 gameplay is, in general, a disappointment. I don't have a problem with enemies being protected - and protections thus negating the win-button that biotics are. Just try it; you can edit the coalesced.ini to disable both cooldowns and protections blocking biotics. The result: the game becomes trivial because, otherwise, the only thing preventing you from cutting a swath through the painfully simple, short and repetitive design of most levels is the sheer volume of fire being rained down on you. The crux is that, quite simply, Bioware isn't very good at putting shooters together, RPG or not.

Their grating proclivity to cheat heavily and blatantly to compensate for their shortcomings in AI programming doesn't help, either.

Most depressing of all is that, despite all of that, 2 is still better than 1... maybe third time's a charm?

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

The crux is that, quite simply, Bioware isn't very good at putting shooters together, RPG or not.

It's really bizarre because there's been shooters almost 20 years now and you can put timeline when (and why) new features were added into genre. I'm not sure if it's arrogance or what but Bioware combat mechanics designers seem to think they can just re-invent the wheel and then only to notice that it's shaped like square.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Oh and i'd like to take this opportunity to say i really &%^ing hate husks in ME2. grumble grumble stupid flanking grumble dammit
You have the wrong powers and/or squadmates. If on Veteran or below, take Throw Field or someone who has it, problem solved. You can spam this so fast it's ridiculous. You can also substitute or combine that with squad Cryo ammo, too, for amazing CC results. Even Concussive Blast will make a mess on a bunch of unprotected husks.

If on Hardcore or above, the flammable or inflammable (forget which) area thing will make short work of the armor of whole groups, that can then be quickly and efficiently dispatched with the methods discussed above.

Problem with Husk? Neural Shock will solve it, just use it to 1h kill them.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

" everything else is a waste of ammo. "

No.

"Most depressing of all is that, despite all of that, 2 is still better than 1"

Not character system or combat wise. Or main story wise. The edge goes I'm not sure. I'd call ti draw. ME2's dumbed down combat and characetr system REALLY, REALLY hurts it.

"You have the wrong powers and/or squadmates. If on Veteran or below, take Throw Field or someone who has it, problem solved. You can spam this so fast it's ridiculous. You can also substitute or combine that with squad Cryo ammo, too, for amazing CC results. Even Concussive Blast will make a mess on a bunch of unprotected husks."

You are oevrthinking. Just shoot the husks repeatedly. Heck, that's the best strategy for eveyr battle in the game since biotic powers are pathetic inn comparison. LMAO

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

You don't even need Throw to be upgraded much, if you're playing on a difficulty below the point where the Husks get defenses. The recharge is so quick once it's been upgraded, it's just a matter of Pause, Target, Throw, Wait 1.5 secs, Repeat.

You are oevrthinking. Just shoot the husks repeatedly. Heck, that's the best strategy for eveyr battle in the game since biotic powers are pathetic inn comparison. LMAO
Oh, yeah. Definitely!

Throw Field - hit one key: encounter is over. It only makes sense that you consider this "overthinking it", and then complain about how "dumbed down" the game is.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Problem with Husk? Neural Shock will solve it, just use it to 1h kill them.
You don't even need Throw to be upgraded much, if you're playing on a difficulty below the point where the Husks get defenses. The recharge is so quick once it's been upgraded, it's just a matter of Pause, Target, Throw, Wait 1.5 secs, Repeat.

Thanks for all the husk-killing tips everyone. Much appreciated. :blink: I've just played a soldier/infiltrator in my games so far, and shooting everything in sight is what i'd been doing. I've also tended to take along squadmates who do the same thing, like grunt and zaeed. Tali's little tech drone dealie seemed to help a fair bit to keep the husks distracted 'til i could shoot them. I'm thinking it may be time to play a sentinel and try out some different tactics, like those mentioned above.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Oh, yeah. Definitely!

Throw Field - hit one key: encounter is over. It only makes sense that you consider this "overthinking it", and then complain about how "dumbed down" the game is.

Of course, stuff that works on casual (shooting everything repeatedly) might not work on some other difficulty levels. :blink:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

"I've just played a soldier/infiltrator in my games so far, and shooting everything in sight is what i'd been doing."

Well.. shoot and run. Just don't them gangrape you,a dn you'll eb fine. If a couple get in melee just punch them to death. Any more than that just run back and.or around and shoot them again. Point is biotics tend to be awaste of time and effort.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

*psst* I think you're supposed to come up with a new joke each time you make a new thread *psst*

So you took the "EXTREME suicide debate" thing literally? Life must be fun in Tallinn.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Guest Slinky

I was doing some kamikaze flying at Bioboards and came across a ME2 save editor:

me2_saveeditor.jpg

http://mod.gib.me/masseffect2/saveedit_rev25.zip

It looks like it's good for changing ME1 choices without actually having to play ME1 again and for bug fixing. Atleast Corporal Toombs, Gianna Parasini, Helena Blake, Sha'ira, Sirta Foundation and Conrad Verner ME1 carryovers are bugged and they can be fixed with the editor.

Link to list of known bugs in ME2 -topic at Bio

I am playing through insanity with an adept character, after an insanity run with a soldier.

I like the playing as the adept. The enemies have either armor, shields or barriers, but you only need to bring one down the defenses of one baddie to use the singularity + warp combo to cause big damage to everyone else.

The soldier is a great versatile class with all the ammo abilities and slo-mo, but the adept is a lot more fun to play for me so far.

Considering all the combat options Bioware had to design for the various abilities for each playable class, I think they did a pretty good job.

It looks like it's good for changing ME1 choices without actually having to play ME1 again and for bug fixing. Atleast Corporal Toombs, Gianna Parasini, Helena Blake, Sha'ira, Sirta Foundation and Conrad Verner ME1 carryovers are bugged and they can be fixed with the editor.

Nice! I've got an earlier version of that and I don't think he'd gotten the ME1 plot checks worked out at that point. I'll have to keep this in mind for my next run, whenever that is. :p

Sounds like y'all have figured out all the combat tricks. Me, all I've figured out is hide and snipe or die. Not really loving combat so far, but I haven't played too many hours. I'm playing soldier class, hoping to get a grasp on the "powers" from teammates who have them. Meh, Bio really throws the new player into the soup with its "tutorial". I mean, how many people have died 3 times doing a tutorial, huh-huh-huh? (I know, I'm probably the only one. :p)

Anyway, just got Mordin and am hoping to learn more about the game controls during my next play session.

Oh, and thank you to everyone for answering all of my dumb questions!

Meh, Bio really throws the new player into the soup with its "tutorial". I mean, how many people have died 3 times doing a tutorial, huh-huh-huh? (I know, I'm probably the only one. :))

I didn't die on my first time through, but I did die twice on my third run when I tried an infiltrator. I'd gotten used to how long it takes to heal, but the cloaking screws up that feel for the timing. :p