Deadly Premonition

lord of flies

A brief introduction; the first 10 minutes of gameplay can be found here.

This is the game that you never knew you wanted. Did you think that adding in the option to turn on (and leave on) your turn signals was a good idea? Well, it turns out it's amazing. Driving around like an idiot while your right turn signal goes off forever is just so much subtly better than driving around like an idiot without signals. It adds that element of realism, like you're really driving around like an idiot, not just sucking at a video game.

Did you think that a game about a dickish FBI Agent who puts out a cigarette on his plate, is very particular about his food, gets his fortune from his morning coffee and spends a good half of the game talking to his imaginary friend was a good idea? Well, it turns out it's amazing. Your protagonist (Francis York Morgan, henceforth referred to as "York") is an FBI agent who spends the early game calling the small country town he's currently in "uncivilized" and the people "cavemen" (he later corrects that to "the medieval era"). He blabs on about 80s movies, and (if you watched the above video) is first introduced to the player by telling someone over the phone that Tom and Jerry are sadomasochistic partners.

Did you think that "free roaming world" and "third person survival horror" went together? Turns out they do. Drive five minutes to the next mission while York talks about what movies he and Zach should go see after this whole thing is over, or you can go fishing. As one player put it:

the sheriff and his hot deputy were going to come with me to check out an autopsy at the hospital so they got in the car and i was like nah lets get lunch instead so i did and then went fishing for 3 hours. just like real life cop work.

Buy this game. For $20 and a 10/10 score on Destructoid, you can't go wrong.

$20. 10/10 rating on Destructoid.

The game is fantastic, honestly. It's funny, it's got decent combat, and the plot is genuinely interesting. What's more, unlike a lot of games nowadays, it has character.

Some more fantastic video footage.

I don't see why you wouldn't buy this game. In the droves of people who've I read the opinions of, I've seen like, two or three express distaste.

Okay, so latest news: http://www.destructoid.com/deadly-premonit...in-165288.phtml

I've been discussing this game with some friends and I am seriously thinking of buying a 360. That would be the only console I've bought in my life, except for a Sega Megadrive.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Looks weird.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I wonder why more bad games can't get this much trolling.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I don't see why you wouldn't buy this game.

Video you linked in your original post had seven minutes of someone walking around a small room with the occasional text popping up that I couldn't read. That was the *only* gameplay shown. Then you have a cut scene that's comedy with about five seconds of scary. It might be an excellent game, but I don't think the preview you linked to shows off that excellence.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I don't see why you wouldn't buy this game.

Video you linked in your original post had seven minutes of someone walking around a small room with the occasional text popping up that I couldn't read. That was the *only* gameplay shown. Then you have a cut scene that's comedy with about five seconds of scary. It might be an excellent game, but I don't think the preview you linked to shows off that excellence.

That "Red Room" pops up a few more times throughout the game, but you don't have to look at everything after the first time (from what I've seen so far). That bit makes the gameplay look much worse than it is. This is more representative of what you would be doing in terms of game play for most of the game (during the story missions and certain times of day/kinds of weather)

Deadly Premonition is even better than Heavy Rain. http://www.destructoid.com/deadly-premonit...in-165288.phtml

For once, Lord of Flies is 100% correct and not trolling! :lol:

/facepalm.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Deadly Premonition is even better than Heavy Rain. http://www.destructoid.com/deadly-premonit...in-165288.phtml

For once, Lord of Flies is 100% correct and not trolling! :lol:

/facepalm.

Everything that Sterling says in there about Deadly Premonition, other than obviously fake stuff (like "I hate the PS3, Blu-Ray is for gays" and "Heavy Rain and Twin Peaks ripped off Deadly Premonition."), is 100% true. I can't vouch for what he says about Heavy Rain, but it sounds pretty plausible. Shaving (and not shaving) owns. Running around town, stealing 10mm bullets from people's mailboxes owns. Driving like a maniac owns.

What's really great, is that when you do some dumb bull**** and it turns out to have been for pretty much nothing, you still get money. Did you spend 5 minutes real time driving around for miles? Here's some money to compensate you. Did you shave your beard and wash your clothes? Here's some money to compensate you. Killed enemies? Money. Broke some boxes? Money.

It's kinda like videogame meta-commentary, a comedy reworking of Twin Peaks and all around bad game design, innit?

That probably sounds more interesting than what it actually is. Also, it actually does sound more interesting than Heavy Rain.

Edited by Diogo Ribeiro

It's kinda like videogame meta-commentary, a comedy reworking of Twin Peaks and all around bad game design, innit?

That probably sounds more interesting than what it actually is. Also, it actually does sound more interesting than Heavy Rain.

I dunno, I've heard this game is "enjoyably bad," but I can't say that (besides the driving) I've found it to be so.

Combat's so-so, but it's not awful or terribly awkward. You can get hurt pretty bad, but when I get hit, I always feel like it's my fault (except for one time when I discovered the "Observe" command does not pause time!). One little trick you'll want to know; when there's a fixed camera angle (while rare, they make controlling York a bitch), you can pull out a melee weapon and use aim mode to switch back to ordinary "tank" controls.

Driving is pretty difficult, but the blinkers and windshield wipers really make up for it; instead of feeling like I'm bad at video games, I feel like I'm "role-playing" an FBI Agent who can't drive.

The plot is, thus far, 100% good. Some of the characters are weird or w/e, but that's not really a downside. Some serious laugh-out-loud moments; the way the relationship between York and the local police (especially Emily) is done is simply fantastic. And, though I haven't beaten the game yet, I haven't heard that the grand finale is random nonsense bull****.

Bumping because holy **** I just realized I've stacked up 9 hours on this game and am only on Chapter 3 (of 15). I haven't even done the fishing ****.

I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

• 2 months later...

Just beat the game. Greatest game ever status: CONFIRMED.

An amazing plot, full of some hilarious moments and some sad ones.

Just one note: play on Easy. The higher difficulties aren't so much "harder" as they are "slower," with normal enemies taking upwards of eight headshots to kill on Normal difficulty.