Wotc brings back Gamma World

Stephen Amber

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=...ndacc/254600000

Thought this was interesting. There was a Gamma World line of books published not too many years ago, forget the publisher, but they got poor reviews.

Looks like Wotc is doing the game this time and it will be d&d 4e based mechanics wise. Will probably have to get this one.

Hope it sells well and that there is a crpg spin off... Dark Sun or Gamma World would be waaaayyyy cooler than Wheel of Time.

Wow, I've still got Gamma World (1mil rads to these reviewers you speak of).

I gotta say, with Eberron, Dark Sun, and now Gamma World-- WotC is at least picking their most interesting settings.

Now if only 4e wasn't so awful and they weren't trying to nickle and dime people with their thousand and one power cards, miniatures, battle maps, 3-part core rulebooks, etc..

...but I'll probably still get this.

Oh Jimmy, you were so funny.

Don't let me down.

From habit he lifts his watch; it shows him its blank face.

Zero hour, Snowman thinks. Time to go.

This will actually be the 7th edition of the game, which shows there has been at least some interest throughout the years. Poorly reviewed may have been a bit too strong... 6th edition met with mixed reviews, as things like psionics and nanites became more prominent at the expense of basic mutations. And there were issues with editing and ommisions throughout the books. This latest edition sounds like it will be all about mutations... draw a new mutation card once a day. hah.

Good god, i remember Gamma world being advertised in white dwarf 68.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 1 month later...

I loved old school Gamma World. Didn't really like the 3e Version (6th Edition, from SSS) and as I recall all mutations were actually the result of nanotech instead of radiation. But overall it just didn't capture the fun of the early versions. I believe we played 3rd edition and it was some of the funnest games I remember from that period, so I hope that this new one (aligned with 4e D&D) is a return to good form.

I always loved the drawing of the hopeless mutant in the character generation section about accidentally creating a non-viable character.

White Dwarf Gamma World Ad

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I loved old school Gamma World. Didn't really like the 3e Version (6th Edition, from SSS) and as I recall all mutations were actually the result of nanotech instead of radiation. But overall it just didn't capture the fun of the early versions. I believe we played 3rd edition and it was some of the funnest games I remember from that period, so I hope that this new one (aligned with 4e D&D) is a return to good form.

I always loved the drawing of the hopeless mutant in the character generation section about accidentally creating a non-viable character.

White Dwarf Gamma World Ad

:lol: :lol: Sci Fi really was better in the 80s.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 1 month later...

Bringing back Gamma World.. and Dark Sun.. the only trouble is that its DnD 4e.. which really, really grates on me.

<sighs>

Much as I liked those worlds (and still have most of the original books stored away), I just can't force myself to face the struggle of 4e system and giving money to WoTC these days..

Throw in the cancellation of the Star Wars rpg.... I think I'm fairly struck off WoTC in general. Which is a shame. :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

• 6 months later...

Can't say I'm too wild about Gamma World 4e; really don't like the card mechanics and while they try to keep character creation open (its a bit more open than 3e at least) it still seems less robust than earlier editions of the game.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man