Ubisoft DRM confirmed to boot you from your singleplayer game when the net drops out

Humodour

"The gaming industry is doing just fine" is incorrect, and that's pretty much inarguable.
Good point. And yet, the gaming market and the considerable economic activity it generates are expanding, and that's pretty much inarguable too.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/games-t...illion-in-2013/

So, if the industry isn't doing too good, either they adapt their business model to market demands, or crash and burn.

Digital distribution, DLC and episodic content releases are acceptable changes. Punishing legit customers and encroaching on consumer rights are not.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Nah, that sounds like too much work. Just not buying it seems much easier.

Besides, a lot of stores don't give full refunds on software, even if it's unopened

They should, if it's faulty, as it basically is, in this case.

In civilised countries, at least. ;(

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I'm also guessing the internet connection requirement is mentioned on the back in some capacity.
Yeah... no.

3. Ubisoft are not taking responsibility for it effectively. Of all the retailers selling AC2, only two at time of writing actually state that it requires a constant internet connection to play.
http://savygamer.co.uk/2010/02/19/drm-assa...age-to-ubisoft/

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I'll get BG&E2 even if it comes with an Ubisoft employee who looks over my shoulder the whole time I play it.

You guys are fighting small battles while we are still losing the war

@Krezack: Shouldn't that law apply to this DRM as well then?

Edited by Purkake

Seems like the only option is to fight the small battles. But that's a good idea though, you can then hold the Ubi employee hostage. Hm.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I was kidding.

...or was I?

Do MMOs state that they need a constant internet connection on the box?

Yes they do, it Most boxes state "requires internet access and paid subscription". At least the former, not sure about the latter.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The time for a revolution is not here yet.

"First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a communist;

Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a trade unionist;

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—because I was not a Jew;

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak out for me."

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

• 2 weeks later...

I just have to shake my head on this. The best way to promote piracy is to piss off enough gamers with stupid copy protection schemes that makes them want to pirate the game in protest. No single player game should require the person be online to play the game. Stupidest copy protection ever.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

It'd be news if they hadn't cracked it yet.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

What made me a little sad is that Ubisoft put all this work into what ended up as a run of the mill DRM scheme that seems to have no benefits over any other DRM solutions already on the market. I was expecting a little more robustness out it I suppose. They no longer have to pay license fees for other DRM so I wonder if there was a cost aspect to it .. but then again they now have to pay for an internal team to keep it updated.

Anyway...

http://kotaku.com/5485359/ubisoft-making-e...anges-to-pc-drm

Example: Assassin's Creed II isn't even out yet on PC, yet Ubisoft has already upgraded the game to v1.01, the main change awaiting purchasers of the game being the fact the game "can now be continued from the exact same point when connection is restored".

You know what? I don't think the DRM as an anti-piracy measure was the point of the system. The point was the centralized game saves and community. And the DRM's main objective is stopping the second-hand market, not fight piracy. The hardest part of the whole system can't be a regular check on the web to see if the copy is legit, not does it ask for a whole lot of servers and infrastructure. Stocking all the saves, on the other hand, ask for a lot more server and storage capacity, don't you think?