Ubisoft DRM confirmed to boot you from your singleplayer game when the net drops out

Humodour

I'll really be surprised if they go through with this in the long run, there is already a ton of negative buzz out there about this plan. I'm guessing they'll try it on one game, get a ton of backlash, and back peddle faster than Will the almighty is going to peddle after every moderator PM's him with a piracy lecture.

Will, you clearly feel some pang of conscious about downloading Ubisoft games. Go with it. The guilt you will feel later in life will follow you longer than any regret over not playing the latest and greatest game. It is something everyone comes to regret eventually.

Guys, don't make me the bad guy. Even though I secretly enjoy it and like to wear a MODERATOR hat in front of the mirror at night.

I actually think/hope this will turn out to be a good thing - i.e. the piracy/DRM debate is pretty taut these days, you have the DRMers doing something ridiculously stupid like this, and you might get a wider recognition that it just isn't the right way to go. It'll also give some fuel to those claiming piracy is okay, though, so it's all touch and go.

Will, you clearly feel some pang of conscious about downloading Ubisoft games. Go with it. The guilt you will feel later in life will follow you longer than any regret over not playing the latest and greatest game. It is something everyone comes to regret eventually.

lol. You sound kind of like an Evangelical Christian trying to convert someone by telling them they will burn in hell. :ermm:

Posting under the influence of drugs is bad, mkay.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Too onerous for me. My wifi is usually pretty stable, but that's simply not the point. There is no way I'm going to buy a single-player game that requires me to be online the entire time I play it, and will crash my game if it goes down.

I feel the same way. Of course I already played this on 360 where I don't have to be online constantly.

It'll be interesting to see how much this sells on PC, and how long it takes folks to crack it.

How much business do you think Ubisoft planned to get out of their pc sales anyway, compared to consoles?

Maybe be Ubisoft simply doesn't care what the response of pc users are. Which maybe why they were willing to put such an annoying DRM on the game in the first place?

Also, how many people who wander into stores either know or care what DRM is int he first place.

My bet is not many. Although probably more likely among pc gamers than console gamers.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

So I can buy a game, and if weather or anything causes my phone line/internet to go down.. I'm not going to be able to play the game.

If my router acts up.. I'm not going to be able to play the game.

If my wifi messes up.. I'm not going to be able to play the game.

My, this sounds like ubisoft games will be a good investment for single-player game time... :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

How much business do you think Ubisoft planned to get out of their pc sales anyway, compared to consoles?

According to wikipedia, 67% of the first game's total sales came from the 360 version (as opposed to PS3 and PC).

Also, how many people who wander into stores either know or care what DRM is int he first place.

My bet is not many. Although probably more likely among pc gamers than console gamers.

The issues people have with DRM don't exist for console gamers.

The way I feel about DRM I almost want big-budget gaming to die on the PC. A small cottage industry making a few games for people without attention deficit disorder free of DRM, DLC, invasive malware to track how you play...

Yeah! Year Zero gaming. Rogue-likes! Emulators! The gaming equivalent of heading to the hills with a hunting rifle and a box of tinned food.

sonsofgygax.JPG

A small cottage industry making a few games for people without attention deficit disorder

I suppose ignorance is mainly to blame, but the stupidity of that statement really irks me. By the nature of ADHD, games are more likely to suck you in and make you pay attention to detail than they are a normal person.

The fact of the matter is, games these days are made for normal people, not nerds (or whatever else you want to call hardcore gamers). That's where the problem lies, and that's who you should be blaming, if you really must blame someone. :shifty:

I'm not sure I understand the reason for implementing such DRM schemes. DRM only works with people who don't look for cracks, right? So we have three groups of people:

- People who buy the game

- People who don't buy the game and download a crack

- People who don't buy the game, don't download a crack and can't play the game because of DRM

So the last group is where DRM works, but the most basic disc check would suffice. Every thing on top of that would annoy those who buy the game if it malfunctions.

I feel like we could just have a "DRM thread" template instead of making a new once each time.

OP: New form of DRM is going to be used by company X.

*Woe is me, PC gaming is dying, developers don't care about PC gaming, I'll never buy from X again...*

*Someone mentions piracy*

Thread closed

The irony is that Krezack is being patronizing by... not trying to be patronizing.

'Normal People' like a whole combination of things. One minute they are playing Guitar Hero on the Wii at 3AM with their friends then the next day they are playing Alpha Centauri III and micro-ing their space empire. Not in Krezzie's world, where you are either the sort of person whose brain is taxed by Halo 2 or a backwoodsman who only plays American Civil War hex-based wargames only six people bought.

:: sigh ::

sonsofgygax.JPG

It'll be interesting to see how much this sells on PC, and how long it takes folks to crack it.

Definitely. If the saved games are really stored on Ubisoft's servers it'll probably require a lot more work to come up with a workaround for the DRM system. Some crackers love challenges though...

The issues people have with DRM don't exist for console gamers.

That may be starting to change: http://psp.ign.com/articles/106/1069716p1.html

Sony hopes today marks the beginning of the end of the rampant piracy seen on its PSP platform. SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Fireteam Bravo 3, released today, is Sony's first test at discouraging pirates from downloading PSP software.

Those who purchase SOCOM Fireteam Bravo 3 are now required to register the title through PlayStation Network before given access to online gameplay. UMD copies of the game will come with a voucher code that must be redeemed online, while digital copies will automatically register in the background. Those who buy a used copy of the UMD can purchase a PSN entitlement voucher for $20 to play online.

We've also seen EA's 10$ initiative with the last two Bioware titles (also on consoles) which was set out to accomplish the same thing. It's still a form DRM although it's not too invasive. Still, I wonder if console DRM will stay that way or eventually branch out into a form that isn't so benign.

So I can buy a game, and if weather or anything causes my phone line/internet to go down.. I'm not going to be able to play the game.

My, this sounds like ubisoft games will be a good investment for single-player game time... :shifty:

Even better, if Ubisoft ever decides on a whim to flip the switch to off on their website, you'll never be able to play said game again.

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

Even better, if Ubisoft ever decides on a whim to flip the switch to off on their website, you'll never be able to play said game again.

Raithe's reasons were all reasonably likely, while yours is highly unlikely. I don't believe Ubisoft is run by Doctor evil and he's just waiting to flip a switch for destruction.

Raithe's reasons were all reasonably likely, while yours is highly unlikely. I don't believe Ubisoft is run by Doctor evil and he's just waiting to flip a switch for destruction.

You're right, I'm being foolish. It would be totally out of character for Ubisoft or any other publisher to stop supporting something, to push people to adopt shiny new software, or to just save money.

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

Reload my razor so I don't lose any vitality. Most likely.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You're right, I'm being foolish. It would be totally out of character for Ubisoft or any other publisher to stop supporting something, to push people to adopt shiny new software, or to just save money.

There is an enormous difference between no longer supporting a product and making it completely unusable, which is what you are implying. I have never seen a company suddenly pull the plug on a product without making some attempt at allowing the customer to break even, even when they company is going bankrupt. But if you have some examples, I would be delighted to read them.