Obsidian is making Wheel of time game

cb.spike

I don't know how much they paid Chris Morgan or how long he worked for them. If they're using what he gave them, they may need someone to help adapt it into something that works as a game.

It makes sense for an inexperienced game developer to license an engine like Onyx rather than building one in-house.

This is going to need a lot of marketing support. Most people don't know what Wheel of Time (or any other non-Tolkien, non-Rowling fantasy series) is. Red Eagle did get Wheel of Time set up at Universal, but there's been no news about movement on that since.

Speaking of Book->Film->Game adaptations, Paramount's developing a Dune remake.

You're right about the marketing.

WoT does have a surprisingly large fan base, but it's mostly dispersed and probably not really into video games. It's almost like they all missed the whole internet thing. Dragonmount, Encyclopedia WOT and Tor are doing a good job rallying people, though.

Edited by Purkake

About the Dune remake: they said officially and I quote "it will be more focused on action" (than Lynch's one was)

That says all you need to know about it.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

WoT does have a surprisingly large fan base, but it's mostly dispersed and probably not really into video games. It's almost like they all missed the whole internet thing. Dragonmount, Encyclopedia WOT and Tor are doing a good job rallying people, though.

Legend had (now it's run by Atari) a book forum for WoT. It was quite popular back in the day, though now it's like a graveyard.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Legend had (now it's run by Atari) a book forum for WoT. It was quite popular back in the day, though now it's like a graveyard.

I don't know.. Dragonmount is fairly active on the net for fan interest on WoT.. besides linking fans, it's the site that had a long running connection with Jordan's family as well.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

That's quite a surprise, eh? I guess the books must still be selling fairly well - they used to top lots of sales lists, though I didn't notice how well the latest one did. I enjoyed it - much more action and progress in the storylines than the two or three before. I wonder if Brandon Sanderson will be involved in the writing.

I wonder how it will work in terms of timing. The second-to-last book is due out in Oct/Nov this year, and the last one around the same time in 2011, and Sanderson seems confident of keeping to that schedule (a very big difference to Jordan himself). I guess a release date coinciding with the last book would make sense commercially - I wonder how far along the project is.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Good luck to Obsidian on this. Hopefully the Wheel doesn't get a flat.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

@Raithe: Dragonmount was pretty dead as well before Brandon was announced as the new author.

It was nice to see all the fans crawling out of their cubby holes when TGS came out.

EDIT: Aren't there also graphic novel versions of the main books coming out pretty soon?

Edited by Purkake

About the Dune remake: they said officially and I quote "it will be more focused on action" (than Lynch's one was)

That says all you need to know about it.

I know, I wanna play Gears of Dune.

Use the Sandworms as cover!

By now they should be just about finished reading the books ;)

Tsk.. it takes me about 5-6 hours to read one... if I'm having a seriously quiet weekend feeling like lazing around, I can get through a three or four ..

Maybe that's given me a different view point on them then all those people that seem to take a month to read just one.. but I find when you have them together that the story smooths out a whole lot better then when you take them piece meal...

Won't somebody please think of the children?!

"If there was a way to get magic for free, do you really think I'd have spent so much time sacrificing children to my dark gods? For spells, I mean. Obviously there'd still be sacrifices. A hobby's a hobby."

I gave up on the 3rd or 4th book, I can't remember which.

Just from what I remember vaguely, I think a detailed Blademaster combat system would be interesting if they include special moves with the names from the books. One moveset would be strong against other moves and weak against others, and knowing when to use what move would be the basis of the strategy.

I think one character was proficient with the staff and the other an axe (or spear, can't remember) so special movesets for different weapons would be cool.

I seem to remember that only women could channel magic without going totally insane (The Dark one tainted the source of power or something) so that might be interesting to the setting and possibly gameplay as a whole.

Just give us Alpha Protocal and Fallout New Vegas soon damnit!