Obsidian is making Wheel of time game

cb.spike

WHo cares.

It doesn't sound like Obsidian is going to have any of the higher level functions.

Its just some noob studio putting out a low-rent game based on their IP to cash in some chips from dumb fans. Obx is is doing the gruntwork. Hopefully, it wil get them some cash, but the game is almost guaranteed to be your run of the mill commercial cash in.

That's what it sound slike at this point.

I can't believe you guys are excited about this.

N00bs. :thumbsup:

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

It's unclear. If you're referring to a PnP system I don't know. But by the sound of it, the guy making the decisions at the top of every department will be a Red Eagle dude, and most of the legwork will be Obsidz. Obsidz influence could be significant, hard to tell at this point.

If Red Studios has a really limited team, I wouldn't be surprised to see Obsidian make most of the work within limits set by the Red Studios guys. If this is the famous Fantasy RPG that Feargus is working on, I'm sure there would be opportunities for George Ziets to come up with another MotB-level story!

I recall there was one first person Wheel of Time game ages ago.

I remember this! I didn't own a PC at the time so I played it on a dorm friend's computer!

Wow, that brings out memories. It was really pretty and ran crappily on my friends Geforce 2 GTS (which he was very proud of). It was also very buggy and very difficult.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/whee...ime/screenshots

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Yeah, a first person shooter type, set 1,000 years before the books. Played as an Aes'Sedai using channeling (the magic) to do the shooting. Rather then picking up guns, you picked up new "weaves" to use. A bit glitchy in places.

But did have a rather good soundtrack.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Bye bye Obsidian, I really liked what you used to do but you are not making anything that might interest me for a while now... It was nice playing your games. Cheers.

Edited by ramza

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Yeah, a first person shooter type, set 1,000 years before the books. Played as an Aes'Sedai using channeling (the magic) to do the shooting. Rather then picking up guns, you picked up new "weaves" to use. A bit glitchy in places.

But did have a rather good soundtrack.

Yeah, i actually bought it/played it since i thought that it had awesome graphics back then. But the setting left no lasting impressions for me, quite boring actually.

Thus, i am a bit dissapointed about this.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

^ Lyr, shouldn't that be wheel-based?

I agree with Slowtrain.

I agree too. It's a shame a team with so much potential just wastes its efforts on mediocre projects.

Bring on the old-school rpgs!

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Eh, not all that excited. Also doesn't sound like something that sells too well, and the agreement just sounds weird.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

From the limited news so far, I don't see a point to go mass-hate, or mass-love.

It's obsidian involved in some way with a game (or possible several games). It's not been announced what sort of format or genre the styles of the games will be (although with obsidian involvement, the likelihood of some form of rpg is most likely).

It's a rather extensive fantasy setting with a fair amount of detail out about it.

Beyond that... as someone who liked the books, I'll be interested to see what gets done. But until more details come out, I'm not going to say it's going to be good or a horror show.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Sounds like Obsidian is doing the grunt work. Theya ren't writing the story, deisgning the game play, and all that other jazz but just implementing what the otehr company tells them to. This is even more of a handicap than some publisher dmanding , y, or z but giving you creative freedom to stretch your wings a bit ala, say, FO:LV.

*shrug*

Have never bothered with the WOT books either. Just a fantasy wannabe.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

WHo cares.

It doesn't sound like Obsidian is going to have any of the higher level functions.

Its just some noob studio putting out a low-rent game based on their IP to cash in some chips from dumb fans. Obx is is doing the gruntwork. Hopefully, it wil get them some cash, but the game is almost guaranteed to be your run of the mill commercial cash in.

That's what it sound slike at this point.

I can't believe you guys are excited about this.

N00bs. :*

The game might just as well be cool and innovative because of the "noob" studio. Until we actually see screenshots/gameplay, this could go either way.

It seems that people who have actually read the books are interested and the ones who haven't are just dismissing it. With everyone crying about the lack of RPGs and being forced to play Mass Effect 2, even though they hate every second of it, you'd think that everyone would be doing cartwheels about an actual RPG that's not a MMO, involves Obsidian in some capacity and has a major publisher attached to it.

But noo, you will never be satisfied.

Edited by Purkake

Personally, I found it a lot more fun then reading LoTR wink.gif

Tolkien spent 3 pages talking about the colour of the leaves in Elven forests. Jordan spent 300 pages talking about Elayne being pregnant, and the other 500 pages of that particular book were about Rand being lost, some other characters being similarly indisposed and some even more minor characters doing things that won't be explained for another 2 books.

in tolkien's lotr books you might have to endure 10 pages without a single line a dialogue and virtual nothing important happening as far as advancing the plot. in jordan's books you might have to endure 10 books of nothing but dialogue and new plot threads without any resolution in sight. for all that we loathe tolkien's prose style, he does eventual get somewhere, and it takes a mere 2.5 books to wrap up all essential questions. after 2 jordan books we were sick of all major WoT characters and ear-boxing in general.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I remember the news when Red Eagle got the rights to Wheel of Time and just thought, oh well... another game to ignore.

Red Eagle Games' initial product portfolio will consist of a series of action/role-playing video games based on Robert Jordan's celebrated fantasy fiction series, The Wheel of Time.

But Obsidian doing this action/role-playing video game has me mildly interested.

Never read the books.

With everyone crying about the lack of RPGs and being forced to play Mass Effect 2, even though they hate every second of it, you'd think that everyone would be doing cartwheels about an actual RPG that's not a MMO, involves Obsidian in some capacity and has a major publisher attached to it.

I'm not crying, hey I don't know what Wheel of Time is except from this thread. Now I know it's a series of uber-spammed fantasy books that some people like and some people don't. As for CRPGs, I wouldn't touch ME2 as far as I could throw it. It appears to be the antithesis of everything I look for in a game. Most people here have other stuff they're into gaming-wise, like Hurlie's strange stat-based sports sims or my nerdy panzer-addiction. I'm not jonesing for any game in particular to be honest.

I need a reason to be excited about this, haven't really seen one yet.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

With everyone crying about the lack of RPGs and being forced to play Mass Effect 2, even though they hate every second of it, you'd think that everyone would be doing cartwheels about an actual RPG that's not a MMO, involves Obsidian in some capacity and has a major publisher attached to it.

I'm not crying, hey I don't know what Wheel of Time is except from this thread. Now I know it's a series of uber-spammed fantasy books that some people like and some people don't. As for CRPGs, I wouldn't touch ME2 as far as I could throw it. It appears to be the antithesis of everything I look for in a game. Most people here have other stuff they're into gaming-wise, like Hurlie's strange stat-based sports sims or my nerdy panzer-addiction. I'm not jonesing for any game in particular to be honest.

I need a reason to be excited about this, haven't really seen one yet.

Cheers

MC

Pretty much all of the negative stuff about the series has to do with the author's handling of pacing and a few (super)annoying characters. The setting is great.

Well, I guess not everyone was crying about the lack of RPGs, but some people certainly were.

Edited by Purkake

Monte made me laugh out loud in class :p

It almost sounds like Obsidian is just acting as a consultant on this project. Sounds like a good deal for them, they get some extra income, and they probably aren't going to take a big hit if it crashes and burns. I could be wrong, but that was what I got from the press release.

It really doesn't sound like this is a full scale project like AP or FO:NV for them.

The game might just as well be cool and innovative because of the "noob" studio. Until we actually see screenshots/gameplay, this could go either way.

It seems that people who have actually read the books are interested and the ones who haven't are just dismissing it. With everyone crying about the lack of RPGs and being forced to play Mass Effect 2, even though they hate every second of it, you'd think that everyone would be doing cartwheels about an actual RPG that's not a MMO, involves Obsidian in some capacity and has a major publisher attached to it.

But noo, you will never be satisfied.

Being fan of the books (most of them anyways) I'm excited about the game, it just worries me that the Red Eagle Games studio is involved in the project. Since it's still quite vague how they split the work. Also Robert Jordan was (at least) at some point really pissed off at those Red Eagle Entertainment guys which kinda worries me as well...

But I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Yeah, I'm not saying that it will be an awesome game either, in fact it will probably suck, but it might also be good and attaching Obsidian isn't probably going to hurt either.

It's just that some people around here are so jaded that they won't ever enjoy anything again.

Oh and Ramza, I'll let you know when Obsidian starts making JRPGs, cheers.

Edited by Purkake