Build advice

Ok, this build is based off "The Utility Player" from Tech Report. I tweaked the build some, as some components were not available, and also looked into possible alternatives. My budget for this is a maximum of $1100 USD, including monitor, although a sub $1000 would be nice. The OS will be Windows 7 Professional, although, luckily, I already own a copy of that. That said, what do you think of the components I've chosen? What would be the best build? Are there better parts that I overlooked? Any comments or suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

CPU:

i5-750 (2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache) - $199.99

Or

i3-530 (2.93GHz 4MB L3 Cache) - $124.99

RAM:

4GB DDR3 (2 x 2GB) - $111.99

Or

4GB DDR3 (2 x 2 GB) - $109.99

GPU:

MSI GTS 250 (1GB vRAM) - $114.99

Or

MSI GTX 260 OC (896MB vRAM) - $209.99

Or

XFX HD 5770 (1GB vRAM) - $159.99

Or

GigaByte GTX 260 OC (896MB vRAM) - $214.99

Hard Drive:

750GB (7,200 RPM 16MB Cache) - $69.99

Motherboard:

ASUS P7P55D LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX - $149.99

Or

ASUS P7P55 LX LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX - $119.99

Case/PSU:

Antec Sonata III (with 500W PSU) - $109

Or

Antec PSU/Case Deal - ~$150

Or

750W PSU - $109/500W PSU - $59.99

And

Antec Three Hundred (no PSU) - $59.95/Antec Two Hundred (no PSU) - $39.99

Optical Drive:

DVDRW Drive - $25.99

Wireless Card:

PCI Card - $16.99

Monitor:

Asus 21.5" 1920x1080 - $149.99

Or

Acer 22" 1680x1050 - $159.99

Or

Acer 23" 1920x1080 - $199.99

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I would skip the i3 CPU and the Geforce GTS 250 as options as those are not really suited for gaming. Otherwise it looks solid. You can't really go wrong with any of the other choices so it's up to you to choose the ones you prefer.. Like for example the RAM; go for the brand that you trust.

Also, I own the big brother to the ASUS monitor you linked. I'm not entirely happy with mine (bleed-in around all the edges) so I would advice you to go for a Benq instead.. only they don't seem to be selling the Benq brand on Newegg. Odd. The Acer ones were just too ugly (except the expensive one which was just plain)!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The i5 with the 260 (because I don't like ATI) will do well; I'm generally not a big fan of Asus, so I'd recommend avoiding their mobos- I'd get this one instead. Either RAM will do fine; its a matter of brand preference; for $15 more, you can get Dominator, which is for all intents and purposes the second coming of God as far as RAM goes IMO- the clock speeds are a little lower, but they OC like a charm, so it won't matter. The HDD is the best on the market right now, IMO, so you're goos there. Antec makes good cases, and the 300 is a popular one, so I'd go with that. I don't really follow monitors, so I can't help there.

EDIT: If you can find an EVGA-branded 260, get it. EVGA is the best. Just remember that the Fermi chips are coming out soon...

Edited by I want teh kotor 3
In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Again, thanks for the advice!

No problem. Always happy to help.

wait for Fermi!

This. Seriously. Just wait. Fermi is set up to be the second coming of Christ.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

It's actually called 4XX now. Nvidia rebranded some of their old cards (probably the 8800 again..) as the 3XX series so now Fermi will be called 4XX.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Again? Wow, I guess that goes to show how resilient the 8800 is, although I would think that it's starting to show it's age by now - or has technology not advanced that much? The GTS 250 is a 9800 GTX+, and that was iirc a 8800 GT, and that seems to score ok (although not as good as newer cards) on most games. :p

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I have a 9800GT (meaning a 8800GT), which cost me 100

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: