PS3 Magazine FO:NV info

Ausir

From NMA:

* It shows the command wheel for followers, with 8 commands: toggle melee/ranged, open inventory, toggle stay close/keep distance, back up, toggle aggressive/passive AI, use stimpack, toggle wait here/follow me, return to normal dialogue.

* Scripting is wittier, characters more distinct. Example from vigour test word association: mother-human shield.

* Opening inventory consists of a kit from the doc, adapted to your starting stats (like Fallout 1).

* The Nevada area is less affected by the nuclear war, so it has plant life, relatively unspoiled houses, and in visual presentation has saturated colours and a bright sky.

* There's a tutorial (led by a character named Sunny who looks a lot like Moira Brown), but unlike Fallout 3, it's optional, so you can hit the open game in 5 minutes from starting.

* NCR and Caesar's Legion are the confirmed faction, article assumes Brotherhood of Steel will be in but they weren't mentioned in the presentation.

* "In New Vegas it's all about the player examining the ideologies of the various groups that are controlling the area and supporting one over the others," explains Sawyer. "Each of the ideologies will have something good that you can relate to, but will also have massive flaws."

* When asked about PS3's Fallout 3 being inferior to the others and if New Vegas will do better, Obsidian devs make no promises but indicate it was a learning process and they're working with all 3 platforms and all have problems.

* The New Vegas strip is still in construction but will have gambling, variety shows and concerts.

* Electrical power is key in the faction struggle.

* Radiation is still a problem, there's a nuclear test site to explore north of New Vegas.

* The soundtrack will blend "Rat Pack style tunes with more Western numbers".

* New Vegas doesn't tell a single-player story, but weaves decision into the gameworld and gives you greater power to influence things than Fallout 3 did.

* On top of adding back in geckos, New Vegas has a whole new type of animal: mutated mountain rams called Big Horners.

* Sawyer says that FNV is to Fallout 3 what Vice City is to GTA3

Edited by Ausir

You forgot to mention the confirmation that in Hardcore mode iyou need Doctors Bags to heal crippled limbs and the insinuation that there is no official "main" quest aside from maybe some macguffin chasing

Edited by bhlaab

* It shows the command wheel for followers, with 8 commands: toggle melee/ranged, open inventory, toggle stay close/keep distance, back up, toggle aggressive/passive AI, use stimpack, toggle wait here/follow me, return to normal dialogue.

If you can assign hotkeys to each of these, total win. If not, not sure if they can be used fast enough? I guess you can use VATS to 'pause' and give orders. (e.g. F1 = toggle melee/ranged for all followers, F2 = toggle melee/ranged for follower #1, etc)

* New Vegas doesn't tell a single-player story, ...

Like Van Buren, it's not your story as the Chosen One, but its a story within which you exist, and there are other players with influences. (Does that mean the return of VB's 'rival adventuring party'?)

'Rebuilt world ' / 'Factionism' guess seems to be righter and righter, I'm super hyped.

I think you guys are misinterpreting it. It'll most likely have some MMO elements where all the NPC's in the world are actually being controlled by other players online, thus lending a more dynamic aspect to the story. Which I think is the real reason Bethesda tried to sue Interplay re: their MMO.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

FNV is a single-player game. No online gameplay.

From the magazine itself, it means that this is not just free-roaming gameplay attached to a linear main story like in FO3, but the main quest itself is much less linear as well.

Edited by Ausir

From NMA:

There's a tutorial (led by a character named Sunny who looks a lot like Moira Brown), but unlike Fallout 3, it's optional, so you can hit the open game in 5 minutes from starting.

Well that's something at least.

Now they just need to get rid of the retarded carry-around-5-miniguns-for-repairs mechanic.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

From NMA:

There's a tutorial (led by a character named Sunny who looks a lot like Moira Brown), but unlike Fallout 3, it's optional, so you can hit the open game in 5 minutes from starting.

Well that's something at least.

Now they just need to get rid of the retarded carry-around-5-miniguns-for-repairs mechanic.

It was mentioned that weapons could be upgraded, and I'm pretty sure that I had an exchange with Sawyer at some point where he revealed that he disliked the weapon repair system as well.

Although it's entirely possible that I hallucinated the whole thing, since I've been licking toads like crazy.

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

* "In New Vegas it's all about the player examining the ideologies of the various groups that are controlling the area and supporting one over the others," explains Sawyer. "Each of the ideologies will have something good that you can relate to, but will also have massive flaws."
Caesar's Legion

Pros: Wear cool costumes, can say things in Latin

Cons: Kill, enslave people

* Sawyer says that FNV is to Fallout 3 what Vice City is to GTA3

HELL YEAH

Caesar's Legion

Pros: Wear cool costumes, can say things in Latin

Cons: Kill, enslave people

I'm not seeing any cons here.

*Dons uber-stylized Wasteland Legionnaire armor*

*storms village killing defenders*

*captures comely females as love-slaves*

"Veni, vidi, vici."

WIN

manthing2.jpg

and in visual presentation has saturated colours and a bright sky.

Do we also get to see happy bunnies hopping on the green?

Geez...

New Vegas doesn't tell a single-player story

I sincerely hope I'm just misinterpreting this...

The soundtrack will blend "Rat Pack style tunes with more Western numbers".

Rat pack tearjerker. :sorcerer:

Someone please get me Mark Morgan back.

1 trailer and two articles and I all ready want to buy this. Reputation and karma changes are really welcome, nothing killed the feeling more in FO3 than when you realized no one really didn't give a **** that you blew up a major town. Hopefully there won't be any towns of amazing 6 people that a single super mutant will kill if you pull it there (RIP Big Town). Sometimes it made me wonder how those damn towns survived before I came along and saved everyone.

Better and wittier writing is exactly what could be expected from Obsidian. One of the major let downs in FO3 was the lack of any personality by your companions, not to mention the god awful dialog through out the game.

Edited by Gorth
Language

Hate the living, love the dead.