Alienware laptop for 800 bucks

Gorgon

Things to notice. The basic model comes with NO WLan. Comes with NO Optical drive. What exactly can you use a thing like that for ?.

has a 8,5 hr battery life, factoring for the usual lies about battery all manufacturers endulge in that would mean 4-5 hour actual battery life. But how do you get it to run reliably. Can you do a network install if the OS needs to be replaced ?. I'm guessing it's an OEM. Maybe you could boot an OS off a USB stick if you got really creative.

On the positive side it looks very cheap for something with an alienware sticker on it. How good is the GFX, is there value for money here. Is a screen like that tolerable. 1366x768 sounds a bit oddball, would probably not run very much in native resolution ?.

Congratulations! Your system is ready to be built.Software & Services

SYSTEM COLOR Alienware M11x, Cosmic Black edit

PROCESSOR Intel

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I actually think it's a great little machine. I was reading about it over at Engadget and found a small video of it running Left 4 Dead:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/29/alienwa...through-left-4/

It's the size of a netbook, but can run games. Perfect! If only it wasn't so butt ugly..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I might pick an upgraded version -the Core2Duo and 2gb of extra RAM- for $949. If I do that I'll post impressions here.

EDIT: Does it not have a WLAN card? I know it doesn't have a WWAN one by default... :ermm:

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I might pick one up... Either that or the iPad... Decisions...

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

I might pick an upgraded version -the Core2Duo and 2gb of extra RAM- for $949. If I do that I'll post impressions here.

EDIT: Does it not have a WLAN card? I know it doesn't have a WWAN one by default... :lol:

NETWORK CARD Integrated 10/100 Network Interface Card

That's it. Not very netbook like, a bit of a scam making the rest 'extras' if you ask me.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Either that or the iPad...

Lulz. :thumbsup:

What's funny there?

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Because the iPad is silly.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

EDIT: Does it not have a WLAN card? I know it doesn't have a WWAN one by default... :ermm:

NETWORK CARD Integrated 10/100 Network Interface Card

That's it. Not very netbook like, a bit of a scam making the rest 'extras' if you ask me.

Evidently they have a wireless N cad built in but don't say they do - at least according to this review. :thumbsup:

Either that or the iPad...

Lulz. :lol:

What's funny there?

The fact that you're considering the iPad over this. :lol:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

The fact that you're considering the iPad over this. :lol:

Actually I'm leaning towards either both or neither... That's completely illogical... Oh well...

Meh. For the price I think the m11x is actually one of the better deals out there - I'll likely drop $949 and get one with the better CPU, 2gb of extra RAM and the 500Gb 7200 RPM HD. Yeah, that is a bit expensive for a 11.6" laptop but I've been doing most of my gaming on the go anyways. As for bigger laptops, sure, you could find on cheaper but not by much and not with as good tech -well, you might be able to find one with a i-core CPU but that would be pushing it- and much more than the $950 I'd be spending on this would be too much for my budget at the moment (college). Even if I built it would come out to about $1000 -I have no old desktop to steal parts from- and a desktop might be worse in the long run as I'm planing on doing quite a bit of moving around in the near future (I'm going to finish where I am, transfer, and then likely study abroad for a bit before coming back for more graduate school). So, yes, you could get something cheaper or something better but for some people the m11x is looking like it would be a good buy. :)

-Hurlshot