Mass Effect 2 Discussion

I was disappointed by how little the main story arc progressed. Too much of the game revolved around my "rag-tag" crew and their family problems, none of which I really cared about. The ending missions were definitely a highlight though, despite how silly the final boss was.

Despite being rather "meh" about the overall experience in ME2 I still feel strangely compelled to run out and buy ME3 as soon as it hits :wacko:

Yeah, it's pretty funny when at one moment it's all like

the Collectors are kidnapping everyone, we must kill them now

and then

sure we have time to find your long-lost dad, blow up an abandoned prison, deal with your anger issues and mine some planets

Was good fun, but intensive to the point of being exhausting. Lots of good stuff, love the interrupts, the cinematics are mind-blowing (I was REALLY leery of them based on the trailers) and the final mission is crafted really well - those are the initial impressions. I'll have to let it sink in a bit (clocked in quite a few hours over the past 2,5 days), but the game kind of felt a bit TOO tight, as opposed to "everybody blathers their whole life's story if you just look at their general direction"

Thing is you're not really supposed to be using too much ammo. The optimal way of playing is using your weapons to debuff enemies and then using your powers in tandem to take them out. Biotics in Mass Effect have some limited synergistic properties - an enemy hit by a Pull or Singularity will take much more damage from a Throw, and Warp "detonates" enemies who are under the effects of Pull / Singularity. That's why all classes get both the SMG and the heavy pistol - The former cuts through shields and barriers, the latter through armor. Once you're past their defenses, the powers come out.

But if I'm using my weapons to debuff them, sooner or later I'm going to need some more ammo. Sometimes the easiest way to kill something is just to shoot it in the face until it dies. Haven't really got too much use out of the synergy aspects so far, mainly because I've neglected the Biotic characters on this run. I haven't really run into any situations where I think "Man, I really wish I had more biotics around!" It's usually "Why the hell doesn't concussive shot work on enemies with armour?!"

anyone know how that nuclear weapon functions? it makes a big "whoop" sound and does nothing

You need more ammo. The little number under the crosshair is a percentage of a shot. When it reaches 100% you get to fire it off once. Don't stand too close and make sure you've aimed it well.

I got an upgrade to my sniper rifle, more ammo but significantly less damage... just didn't feel as powerful as before so I went back to my original version. I've been expiramenting with characters, haven't found one that really works for me. Don't know why.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

anyone know how that nuclear weapon functions? it makes a big "whoop" sound and does nothing

As Deraldin said, you need 100 ammo to fire. Also, you have to hold the fire button down for quite awhile (about 5-10 seconds). This may sound extreme, but this will pretty much wipe out a room.

Or a reaper core with a side of a bazillion husks in a single shot. :p

Probably not the best use of ammo, but it did feel suitably epic. :huh:

Not too crazy about the changes in the equipment system - I can't help but think that eventual DLC is going to add quite a bit in the way of new guns and armor (and I really hope it does, I was using the basic N7 armor without a helmet and with just the ammo-boosting arm for the whole game, in spite of having access to 3 dlc armors). Also annoyed I missed out on the

Geth Pulse Rifle

There were some really amazing cues on the soundtrack again, but I guess it was shooting for a more subdued overall impression and it didn't work quite as well for me - there were some really good actiony ones in the first game, especially love the eden prime and feros action tracks...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I wouldn't so much mind the new armor/weapons system if there was visual customization as well as the stat differences. Running around with the same basic armor for the whole game is, well, boring. Same with the guns. I mean I know it's petty but visual distinction is kinda a big thing and having some variety in what you're wearing is nice.

Also tying bonuses into the armor is a good idea, but the helm thing was just over the top.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Which big gun is the best for taking down those large annoying droids? The two first rocket/grenade thingies didnt seem to have any effect

FFS Bio, don't pollute sweet space with gay fantasy!

Word, brother jags.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Which big gun is the best for taking down those large annoying droids? The two first rocket/grenade thingies didnt seem to have any effect

FFS Bio, don't pollute sweet space with gay fantasy!

Word, brother jags.

Of course brother Kaft.

As for taking down Big F***ing Mechs, try using the Collector Particle Weapon (found on Horizon) for medium-long range, or the Flame Thrower (found on Zee's revenge mission) for short range. They'll drop faster than Lindsay Lohan on a night on the town.

Edited by jaguars4ever
manthing2.jpg

I'm real happy for you F-to-end-the-mission, and Imma let you finish, but unobscured radial dial were the best dialog options of all time.

For the love of god yes! Why can't we turn those damn notifications off?! Not just the "Press F to end", but "Left click to launch a probe" and all the other idiotic messages that we really didn't need to see once, let alone a billion more times.

and then

sure we have time to find your long-lost dad, blow up an abandoned prison, deal with your anger issues and mine some planets

You think it is strange for people to want to get some important things done before they die?

I'm real happy for you F-to-end-the-mission, and Imma let you finish, but unobscured radial dial were the best dialog options of all time.

For the love of god yes! Why can't we turn those damn notifications off?! Not just the "Press F to end", but "Left click to launch a probe" and all the other idiotic messages that we really didn't need to see once, let alone a billion more times.

And ironically, the one that is the most important, they tell you once and never again. I actually had to restart the tutorial to find out what it was. You know, that W + space jump-hop that only works under cover. I love how they just casually pop it in there too right in the middle of a fire-fight at level 1 when you're scrambling to stay alive. Kind of how women do the boyfriend-drop just before you go for the home phone number. If you weren't interested then why waste my time flirting? Gimme my five minutes back, you skanky tart! I never wanted you anyway!

Edited by jaguars4ever
manthing2.jpg

and then

You think it is strange for people to want to get some important things done before they die?

I think it's strange that they are pushing the "oh noes, we have no time" in the story, but it is in no way reflected in the gameplay.

As for the game, I really liked the

little twist

in the Samara recruiting mission and the second Liara mission was pretty clever as well(by Bioware's standards at least).

and then

I think it's strange that they are pushing the "oh noes, we have no time" in the story, but it is in no way reflected in the gameplay.

They are always saying 'go when you are ready, not too early'. Everyone makes it clear that it's of no use if you rush and just die. If you think that the time is too critical and shouldn't waste time on those personal quests, then don't do them. It's completely optional.

I was thinking something more along the lines of

You can only complete a portion of the loyalty quests, forcing you to make actual choices

And by urgency I meant the

news going: "the Collectors just attacked colony X, who will be next!?"

. When making a game you have to choose whether you want constant tension or the freedom to do everything, you can't have both. Fallout 3 showed that pretty well.

I was thinking something more along the lines of

You can only complete a portion of the loyalty quests, forcing you to make actual choices

Ok, this I understand, but this actually happens if you move too fast

(making you choose between your crew or your squadmembers)..

And by urgency I meant the

news going: "the Collectors just attacked colony X, who will be next!?"

. When making a game you have to choose whether you want constant tension or the freedom to do everything, you can't have both. Fallout 3 showed that pretty well.

Yeah, it's urgent. But they are always telling you that you will probably barely be able to complete the mission at all, even if prepared. And this whole thing is going on for two years. I didn't get the feeling that the Collectors are about to wipe out all of humanity within a week or so. If they wanted to make it real then there couldn't be any side missions at all. And guess how much crisicism they would have gotten for that. So in this case we actually have a timed event that will force you to make bad choices - but you can avoid that if you take care. That's actually more I remember from other games (although I admit that I haven't played a lot of RPGs).