Apple iPad

Purkake

It can't multitask

What? It can play music while you surf the web. What do you mean by "can't multitask"? This isn't a device you'll be multitasking on anyway besides what I just said.

Hell, what is this "multitasking" people rave about? How many times have you ever done more than one thing at a time on a computer? You almost ALWAYS do things in a sequence, not parallel.

If only this thing had a Python or C compiler.

I was expecting something fancier. No multitasking/USB pretty much means I'm not buying it.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

It can't multitask

What? It can play music while you surf the web. What do you mean by "can't multitask"? This isn't a device you'll be multitasking on anyway besides what I just said.

Hell, what is this "multitasking" people rave about? How many times have you ever done more than one thing at a time on a computer? You almost ALWAYS do things in a sequence, not parallel.

Krezack I think they mean "multitasking" by the fact that (if what they're saying is correct, and if I'm interpreting them right) - you can't have Safari and Word open at the same time. Which would totally suck.

It can't multitask

Krezack I think they mean "multitasking" by the fact that (if what they're saying is correct, and if I'm interpreting them right) - you can't have Safari and Word open at the same time. Which would totally suck.

Hmm. Well they're wrong - Apple confirmed you can. That was a deliberate iPhone limitation (probably for performance reasons) which is not related to the iPad.

Edit: To clarify, you can run multiple apps at once on it.

Edited by Krezack

I think this article from the Sydney Morning Herald highlights the flaws with this lame duck.

- One of the selling points of the device, iBooks, which allows users to access an array of e-books and digital textbooks, is not listed as a feature on the iPad page on Apple Australia's website. This indicates it will not be available to Australian users when the device is launched here in March.

Check your country if you can get this feature.

- "Given what happened with the iTunes music store launch, it could be months or even years before it [iBooks] comes out on the iPad in Australia."

- In a similar vein to the launch of the iPhone, Apple has left features out of the iPad in order to force customers to hand over more money for accessories and, eventually, the next generation of the device.

- The iPad lacks a built-in camera, USB ports and memory card reader, but all three features can be added by buying separate adapters. A separate keyboard dock is required to connect the iPad to a keyboard.

- "And what about Skype, undoubtedly one of the favorites when it comes to keeping in touch with friends and family in far away places? Video chatting is out of the question."

- The iPad is based on the same operating system as the iPhone, and they share the limitation of being unable to run multiple applications at the same time or to display web pages created using Adobe's Flash.

- Also like the iPhone, the iPad can only run apps sanctioned by Apple and provided through its App Store.

- Only videos contained in the user's iTunes library or converted to Apple's video formats will play, and files cannot be dragged and dropped on to the device, as is the case with most other computers.

- It also lacks an HDMI output for connection to a TV set. Only 720p video playback is supported, rather than the 1080p resolution of true high-definition files.

- "The tablet's resolution tops out at 1024 x 768, which falls into the 4:3 standard definition range and not the glorious, widescreen 16:9 high definition aspect ratio we've come to know and love,"

- There is no full GPS support either but the more expensive 3G models, set to be released a month after the standard models, support "assisted GPS", which pinpoint your location using nearby mobile towers.

Apparently it has no multitasking, so it is basically a giant iPhone.

Also no flash in Safari:

Actually, Did you ever wish your iPhone was bigger and didn't make phone calls? Then this is for you!

maybe I'll need enormous trousers with enormous pockets for this enormous iPhone that can't make phone calls. If he called it iDiot, most of the fans will still buy it. :)

:) This bores me. This thing seems as useless and overpriced as everything else Apple makes.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

Not sure why everyone's complaining about it - Apple isn't forcing you to buy it. People looking for tablets (for whatever their purpose) now can buy an Apple one. It's no lie that Apple's products (overpriced as they are) are fantastic. I'm not going to be in line t get one but I can certainly see why this excites people who want or already use tablet PCs...Or Macs in this case.

Not sure why everyone's complaining about it - Apple isn't forcing you to buy it. People looking for tablets (for whatever their purpose) now can buy an Apple one. It's no lie that Apple's products (overpriced as they are) are fantastic. I'm not going to be in line t get one but I can certainly see why this excites people who want or already use tablet PCs...Or Macs in this case.

It's funny because the criticisms are the same ones the iPod and iPhone copped. And look how badly THEY failed.

I have mix ideas on this. For one. I really don't have an interest in tablets. Two. While it does seem over priced, It's not as high as I expected it to be.

The problem is as I see it is who needs it? I would think warehouses that already use the Mac OS for inventory but wished to have a portable Mac device other than the 13" laptops would look at it. Another is that maybe the tablets already out don't have the punch as in design to pull the masses over. Again a guess by me. The image of the Sony 13" note with it's specs are very nice but many shun Sony for the reports of poor quality as they seem to break quickly and often. I have a manger and he saids he'll never buy another Sony after the last three boke within a short time of owning them. Again, just know what my friends and co-workers have said for I have never used a Sony computer myself.

I really need to check the full specs and re-write some of my thoughts some more on this. Just off the bat I can't see myself wanting it right now.

Solo is not a myth to evil.

But a nighmare to the evil of the lands.

Ranger Lord Solo

What exactly is the use of this? Isn't it just an iPhone which can't call and which is too big to carry anywhere? With a large, exposed touch screen meaning OH MY GOD I ACCIDENTALLY BUMPED INTO A PERSON MY TOUCH SCREEN IS BROKEN. It obviously just requires you to buy extra accesoires just so you can use it.

I mean, the iPhone and the iPod were successes because of their functionality and their size. Did Apple just decide to completely ignore the main reasons their other products sold so well?

Edited by TrueNeutral

Hmm. Well they're wrong - Apple confirmed you can. That was a deliberate iPhone limitation (probably for performance reasons) which is not related to the iPad.

Edit: To clarify, you can run multiple apps at once on it.

Can you find a quote on that? I haven't seen anything to suggest that it has any more multitasking than the iPhone.

The only multitasking the iPhone can do is allow you to listen to music while using another app. You can't take notes and alt-tab to Safari, you'd have to close the note program and open safari. No IMing while surfing the net, no internet radio(Pandora, Last.FM) while writing emails, etc.

@DD: I see your giant macbook and rise you this:

original.jpg

Edited by Purkake

No, it doesn't even do multi-tasking. Welcome back to the eighties.

"There's no multitasking at all. It's a real disappointment. All this power and very little you can do with it at once. No multitasking means no streaming Pandora when you're working in Pages... you can figure it out. It's a real setback for this device."

They even have a video showing this.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/apple-i...first-hands-on/

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The only multitasking the iPhone can do is allow you to listen to music while using another app. You can't take notes and alt-tab to Safari, you'd have to close the note program and open safari. No IMing while surfing the net, no internet radio(Pandora, Last.FM) while writing emails, etc.

Those are bad examples.

you can take notes and go back and forth between notes and safari seamlessly - it will save the state of the app, so it will look exactly like it did when you closed it. You can IM while surfing with a push enabled IM client - I use beejive and safari at the same time all the time. You can listen to internet streams in safari, and it will stay open in back ground - I often listen to di.fm and bassdrive.com while reading twitter/IM'ing.

Now, my biggest issue is that I can't listen to online streams and surf the web at the same time, but everything else is covered by apple's "save state" mechanic pretty well.

I have a Touch, having to close the app with the home button and load the other one is hardly "seamless", when the alternative on a actual computer is a simple alt-tab. The fundamental difference is that it actually closes the app and saves whatever you were doing instead of keeping it in memory.

This is pretty awesome on a music player or a phone, but just doesn't cut it in something that doesn't fit in your pocket.

Edited by Purkake

It is slower that way, making it more of a big iPod touch than a netbook-equivalent.

But the bottom line is that Apple could have added true multitasking, USB ports, a camera, but they didn't. Just like the first generation iPhone was a total disaster compared to where it is now.

Edited by Purkake

It's not significantly slower. Compare switching between apps on iPhone and Pre and you will see that there isn't that much difference. Especially for the cost you end up paying for it.

Apple didn't add those things for a reason, which most likely was cost control. and you are straying from the original argument. Your point was that iPhone isn't able to do any kind of multitasking. Which I proved false and noted that for most users "true" multitasking is a gimmick they likely will not need.

I actually said that the tablet isn't able to do any more multitasking than the iPhone.

If I wanted to use it as a computer, Apple's current multitasking solution just isn't good enough for me. I'm not talking about "most users" and I'm sure this will sell millions.

Basically it's just wasted potential.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"