The Age of New DRM

Tigranes

How are Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 on these issues by the way?

Good, they only use a SecuROM-less CD-check and a CD-key. :lol:

Unless you want the DLC stuff.. (obviously) then it's the whole sign onto Biowares "community" site, type in the correct pass codes, and then when you run the game you get the log in options and it downloads it all.. but then you don't have to dl some other software ala steam or games for windows live doohickey to handle it. It's all purely internet browser.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

How are Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 on these issues by the way?

Good, they only use a SecuROM-less CD-check and a CD-key. :lol:

Unless you want the DLC stuff.. (obviously) then it's the whole sign onto Biowares "community" site, type in the correct pass codes, and then when you run the game you get the log in options and it downloads it all.. but then you don't have to dl some other software ala steam or games for windows live doohickey to handle it. It's all purely internet browser.

I am absolutely fine with that. I just hate having to install extra programs just to play a game.

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Ubi seems to have become the flagship of idiotic and invasive DRM ideas.

Have you ever gotten the sense that a particular company dislikes it's own product/industry/customer base? Sometimes I get that feeling about ubisoft.

Whether they are half-efforting a new IP (Haze), under utilizing an established and popular franchise (Beyond Good & Evil), or obsessively serializing brand diluting drivel (RAYMAN RAVING RABBIDS), Ubi always seems to have an allergy or dislike for it's own potential greatness.

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

Glad I can't be bothered with any of Ubisofts products. Neat thing for them to be able to kill the game, though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Whether they are half-efforting a new IP (Haze), under utilizing an established and popular franchise (Beyond Good & Evil), or obsessively serializing brand diluting drivel (RAYMAN RAVING RABBIDS), Ubi always seems to have an allergy or dislike for it's own potential greatness.

You're absolutely correct, just looks at this. :shifty:

L10864928.jpg

I suck at this, but thought it was funny...

*Edit since my myelin sheath eroded past a critical point*

post-25489-1264626600_thumb.jpg

post-25489-1264626615_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mikhailian

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

i like the dragon age or fallout 3 drm. that is, a disc check.

i dont mind signing online to access my free dlc for dragon age.

offline mode on steam works perfectly for me, everytime. Once you configure it (ie download the latest patches for all games then set them all for offline enabled play) you can play offline whenever you want, no need to log online first before you play etc.

offline mode on steam is legit, i have gone weeks with my internet disabled and still having full access to all my steam games.

I will never purchase a product with DRM more restrictive than steam or dragon age. fact. period. end of statement.

punishing the people who actually pay for their games is so massively retarded I cannot wrap my head around it.

I support gaming with my $$, you want my $$ then you need to show some respect or I'll go spend my $$ on something else.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Heh, 3 pages while I sleep.

Mass Effect 2 collects user's gameplay data by default unless it's disabled in the options.

For me, Dragon Age came pretty close to pushing me over the edge. I don't mind if I"m playing multiplayer or it's an MMO, so that there is actually a reason. If not, I don't want a game to connect to the internet. I don't want to have to sign up to some random useless website to play my game. I don't want it to check for updates. I don't want stupid popups. I don't want achievements, I don't want my screenshots upload to my profile, I don't want my playing reported in any form. They are all unnecessary for me.

I'm actually of the opinion that if all this 'meta / contextual' stuff actually amounted to a healthy and productive gaming community, and there are clear and simple options that let you opt into it (I tolerated DA cause you can 'opt out' of most/all of this eventually). e.g. sharing user-made videos, screenshots & let's plays quickly and in an easy and centralised manner. Not "achievements for learning to walk", or automating everything so that it's more annoying when things break.

By the way, for all the Americans, Swedish and whatnot out there, consider that I can't even use Steam, because with my useless NZ internet, it takes +5 minutes, without exaggeration, for it to even connect initially. That means 10+ minutes total until I can actually play Empire: Total War. Patch downloads hang and cause trouble as well. Thankfully ETW was piss, so I've gotten rid of Steam, but all this internet DRM stuff is moronic when you consider the internet situation here. And it's not as if I'm living in Burkina Faso.

Yeah, I can see myself not minding all this as much if I was, I don't know, in Korea with the superfast internet. But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time.

Yeah, I can see myself not minding all this as much if I was, I don't know, in Korea with the superfast internet. But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time.

Wow... I haz sig now. 8)

Ubisoft hasn't made an interesting game in a while anyway. 8)

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

It was obvious (to me at least) that DLC would be path chosen to encourage buying, as is obvious now that some publishers are going to go to extremes to protect and ensure the success of their product. The question here is, does this actually hurt their market? Myself, I will think twice before purchasing a game that requires me to send personal information. I hope that they limit their actions to just this, otherwise it may come to a point where is detrimental to themselves.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Oh you people and your vague threats.

The average person doesn't care and the pirates will just walk over all over it.

True, but if it shows any sing of being effective it may become popular and then: GAMING DYSTOPIA :lol:

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

And just what other platform could one move to play then?

Right now as from the posts I've seen many PC games are moving closer to limiting what the end user csn do. So does this mean since no one wants to help the markets for Linux or Macs that the console is the next platform to switch to? What if console games start going this route?

The companies have to understand that not all have high speed networks to use and or tolerance of always having to be linked to a server just to play a game. Case in point. FF11. I will never buy that game. Online should be an option and not a requirement. Being a Mac user I am getting use to not playing games now a days on the computer since OS X has debuted. Was tempting to think of getting a larger external HD for Bootcamp so I could play some PC games but now I will scrap that plan. I will stick with my PS2, PSP, and Wii until I no longer enjoy palying these games I have.

Sorry for my rant on here guys.

Solo

Solo is not a myth to evil.

But a nighmare to the evil of the lands.

Ranger Lord Solo

As always it comes down to how much you want to play whatever game that has it.

That or just move to another platform.

Well, I made my tiny little stand over Empire: Total War. I love the Total War series, they are up there in my top five games ever, the quintessence of what I'm looking for in a PC game.

But for reasons that Tigranes has already articulated, I loathe invasive, internet-dependent applications like Steam. I won't use it, ergo I had to let Empire TW pass me by. Which I regret, but that was my line in the sand. Creative Assembly have lost a loyal fan and paying customer, I've never pirated a game in my life.

So, yeah, I suppose CA and Sega are hardly losing sleep and the technological and commercial imperative to go down this route remains strong. But for me, I still won't buy them.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Oh, and another thing. The Cloud. The idea that we will store all our personal information online, on servers owned by rapacious multinationals with dodgy reputations when it comes to respecting privacy.

Mwuhahahhaahaaahaaa!!! Not this old fart. I'll be the information technology version of a survivalist, with an external hard drive wired up to an ox-powered generator.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Heard of this about an hour before the topic was posted.

The whole deal is disgusting, and I'll have no part of it.

To Ubisoft I can only say:

Arrrrr2.gif

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Offline mode works, sometimes. Mostly you are not allowed to launch games in offline mode. Maybe you have to have booted up steam first which requires connectivity, so offline mode would be for people who have logged in but lost their internet. Pretty useless.

Offline mode always works and you can always launch your games. The problem is getting into it. It'll often try to update Steam for 5 minutes before it gives you the offline mode option, but it IS there, even if you try to turn that mode on with no net on a fresh boot.

Edit: As it stand nows, my Steam folder is about 180gigs and my GOG folder 30 or 40. I always try to buy on GOG first to avoid ALL DRM, but Steam has been extremely pleasant. None of the nastiness I was expecting.

Edited by Krezack

Offline mode works, sometimes. Mostly you are not allowed to launch games in offline mode. Maybe you have to have booted up steam first which requires connectivity, so offline mode would be for people who have logged in but lost their internet. Pretty useless.

Offline mode always works and you can always launch your games. The problem is getting into it. It'll often try to update Steam for 5 minutes before it gives you the offline mode option, but it IS there, even if you try to turn that mode on with no net on a fresh boot.

Hm, I just spent 4 days with the phone lines down.. (and thus, all internet access dead) and I couldn't run any of the steam games installed. Even trying to put it in offline mode they wouldn't run.. so.. mayhaps there's something weird there...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Exactly, defeats the point. Why do I have to wait for some unnecessary program to cork up my tubes for 5 minutes, just to tell me it's nto actually going to do anything at all and I can finally play?