The Age of New DRM

Tigranes

New blanket Ubisoft DRM forces you to be online all the time to play.

• -Got to be online to play. Always. If connection lost, game 'pauses' then... unclear.
  • -Saves remotely. Like an MMO.
  • -Notes when you play, etc, and maybe other info.
  • -Will patch if online servers go down.
  • -No CD in drive, unlimited activations.

Why is Ubisoft forcing their loyal customers to sign up for a Ubisoft account when they don

I sinply won't play or buy any game that uses this sort of DRM. Its gone beyond the limit of what I find acceptable.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

We hope that customers will feel as we do, that signing up for an account will offer them exceptional gameplay and services that are not available otherwise.

Or you could just save yourselves the trouble and use steam.

It's funny. I'm pretty tolerant of DRM as a rule. What bugs me about this is the "save remotely" part. That irritates me for some reason.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Ubi seems to have become the flagship of idiotic and invasive DRM ideas. Yes, if I'm playing a MMO or MP game then I can accept being watched, being under surveliance to a certain degree but when I'm at my own home, trying to take a break, escape from reality, unwind, whatever reasion I play the particular game, I don't want some idiot to watch me. Hell I use ad blockers for a similar reasion. I don't want some crap algorithm to tailor an advertisement package for me, thank you.

Despite not being an American, this reminds me of one of the... Founding Fathers' (?) remark about (French ?) state constricting people's liberties in the name of security. Ironic.

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

Well, that sounded likea reely fun idea.

One things for certain, I am not spending a dime on anything - no matter how good - that supports a system like that. Good thing is, I have more money for beer when I don't have to buy Ubi games.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Can't answer for being a law-abiding citizen but I can aswer the question in context of being a paying gamer if you want.

You get to be treated like a potential criminal.

You are guilty as long as not proven innocent.

You are supposed to have an IQ of 90 and memory of 3 weeks. And a very low education level.

You are not supposed to be able to enjoy complexity, enjoy finer points, stimulate your brain.

You can not understand anything that is not fed to you in bite sized pieces.

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

This does seem a very "kick the dog" approach to it.

Well, I can't really say this will stop me getting their games since none of their upcoming releases was likely to interest me anyhow.

As long as it doesn't catch on with other companies.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'd like to see more confirmation on this. That FAQ is a bit vague.

edit: Like it mentions you do not need the CD to play the game, but is there an alternative where you can use the CD and that allows you to play online? It needs clarification, for sure.

Edited by Hurlshot

After years of DRM controversy, one would think that publishers would "get it". Just goes to show how out of touch publishers are with their customers.

Again, if they feel safer releasing PC games with DRM:

Can't they just use Steam?

DRM is exactly the reason I have stopped buying pc games, and playing games in general.

They are already expensive enough, I don't need to install additional programs that will spy on me and mess up my pc.

I could have bought Mass effect, I didn't because of the limited activations (the activation management tool hasn't convinced me) and Securom.

I could have bought L4D and Empire Total War but they make me install Steam.

I want to play my games just like before: install (I accept if I am asked to insert a security code) and play. Basta!

No online activation, no installing third party programs, NOTHING!

How are Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 on these issues by the way?

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p