Bayonetta - console action fans should give it a try!

Llyranor

Okay, I got Bayonetta and finished it not too long ago. Now currently having another go at it on hard. Pretty fun game!

As far as console action games (DMC, NG, and the like), the combat mechanics are the most in-depth/fleshed-out ones I've had the chance to experience. There are some similarities to DMC (I can only compare to DMC4, though) in terms of basic mechanics, but the flow and pace of battles are so much more fluid than they are in DMC4. Bayonetta as a character is a lot faster, as you can jump and double-jump your way everywhere, and freeform dodging (including unlimited dodging while in the air until you land) allows you to cross any given battlefield in a manner of a few steps at most if need be (and you also get faster methods of travel for in and out of combat later in the game). You equip separate weapons to both your hands and feet, and can switch between two weaponsets with a quick button press; thus giving you fast access to 4 different weapons and movesets at any given moment (though, of course, you can also just go into the menu to manually switch things around). There is a Witch Time system through which you can enter bullet time for a few secs if you manage to dodge an enemy attack at the very last second - pretty useful, but people probably overplay how awesome a feature it actually is. Fits well with the gameplay, though.

Again, the real strength of the game lies in its combat mechanics. Re: combos, you can build them up via punch or kick combinations. Usually, the end move of a combo is a finisher, which is usually a big attack, such as a giant fist or boot materializing out of thin air. Here's where the game really shines. Every attack you do is basically chargeable. For example, with guns equipped to both arms and legs, if you do Punch Kick Punch, you will punch/kick/then summon a giant fist. If you hold the first P, you character will pause the combo (while still shooting at the enemy with the guns). If you then K and hold, you also pause the combo and continue shooting with your leg guns. You then finish with the giant fist (and can keep shooting if you hold the final P). Different weapons will have different charge properties; guns will keep shooting, swords will charge up to unleash a strong slice, whips will grab an enemy towards you, etc. At any given time during an attack charge, you can actually dodge and get yourself out of trouble, while still retaining the combo where you paused it. So if you P + hold, and THEN dodge, you can still complete the combo simply by using K P after the dodge. Also, while you are dodging, the charge still applies, ie. you are still actively shooting at the enemy while you are dodging, AND still retaining your combo. What this means is that rather than having offensive and defensive being different separate entities, they instead intermesh into faster-flowing dynamic combat, where your defensive dodging does not get in the way of your attacks.

But that's not all; you don't need to necessarily charge attacks in order to dodge within combos. If you tap an attack AND a dodge at the same time, you will dodge, and the game will actually register that attack into the combo, even if you haven't actually done it in the game. For example, P K P again. If you P+dodge, K+dodge, then P; all you will see in the game is the character dodging twice, and then executing a giant fist attack. So, you can ultimately build up your attacks and combos while actively dodging enemy attacks, but you can also use it as an advantage to bypass some attack inputs within the actual combo.

Needless to say, the system is *awesome*.

The actual art/level/world design is pretty nice. The enemy designs are really cool. The protagonist's hypersexualized style is questionable, but ultimately it's relatively harmless. Music has a lot of variety to it, and some of it is a tad weird, though it fits nicely with the game; overall, I found the soundtrack pretty strong.

It's out on 360/PS3, but if you have the choice, definitely get the 360 version (the PS3 version was ported by SEGA, rather than made by the devs Platinum, and has some framerate/loading issues - though still playable). Demos are available as well. Took me almost 15 hours to finish on my first normal go, but I still have a lot of gametime left in this game.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

PC? :x

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Dream on. And European PS3 version has no framerate problems that x360 doesn't. BUT it does have nonstop loading since it doesn't install on HD and that ruins the experience a little. You pick up and item and you get loading xD

It's got lossless sound though, if you care about things like that.

But yeah Hideki Kamija did it again.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I cant play a game where the heroines head is 50% of the size it should be. She looks completely frakkin insane.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I cant play a game where the heroines head is 50% of the size it should be. She looks completely frakkin insane.

Since when you have cared more about size of the head than the two other round objects slightly below the head?

You just lost every pervert points you have carefully gathered thus far.

Edited by Slinky

I love how the game is a huge deconstruction of DMC games. Initially it works very similarly to the previous games, but you'll soon start to notice stuff like the combat music being a lampshade to DMC's macho rock beat and how the finishers work like they are spoofing Devil Trigger moves or how the whole idea of a benevolent butterfly god giving her super powers to fight angels is like a thematic and visual parody of the fairly-cookie cutter demonic imagery of DMC.

Just throwing that out there, couldn't help but to love that when trying the demo.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

PC? :lol:

Heja Sverige!!

Why do you hurt me?

Heja Sverige!!

i've played 3 devil may cry games, one god of war game, and ninja gaiden black. i havent liked any of them, should i bother with bayonetta?

probably not.

apparently "console action" games are the one genre i dont really enjoy :shifty:

(that and whatever "genre" petz babyz farmville and cooking mama are part of)

seriously though its weird, i play shooters and fighting games and rpg's and sidescrollers and 3dplatformer/adventure games (like zelda and shadow of collosus) and rts and turn based strategy and flight sims (ok just tie fighter...) and some sports games and yet i just dont enjoy games like devil may cry and god of war. seems like reviewers always have a hard on for these games but i just havent found one i liked. I liked all the resident evil games, i like silent hill.

am i alone in this?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

... banal is not a word I would use to describe something as insane as Bayonetta. Doesn't mean it's any good though.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

• 2 weeks later...

Devil May Cry takes itself seriously? That's a new one.

Heja Sverige!!

Pistols, shotguns, rocket launchers. This game is insane, but definitly not safe work enough for me to buy it. Or rent it. Or play it in a home where other people live.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"