D&D: Potential Gateway to Gang Activity

Enoch

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/01/7th_circuit...ungeons_dra.php

So, some dude doing a life sentence for 1st degree murder in Wisconsin starts a D&D campaign with 3 other inmates. A stoolie tips off the guards about how these guys were "recruiting" for their "gang." Guards confiscate D&D materials, and the prisoner sues, alleging that his due process and speech rights have been violated. From the case:

[Muraski, a gang expert testifying at trial] explained that the policy was intended to promote prison security because cooperative games can mimic the organization of gangs and lead to the actual development thereof. Muraski elaborated that during D&D games, one player is denoted the

:lol:

Just :o

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Actually, I missed the best quote:

While Cardwell and his other affiants, including a literacy tutor and a role-playing game analyst, testified to a positive relationship between D&D and rehabilitation, none disputed or even acknowledged the prison officials

Do they allow sports teams to develop out on the yard? I would think that would have the same problems.

Although the LARPing possibilities are really good in this setting. Magic Missile! Really adds a new twist to the expression 'rogues do it from behind'

I don't necessarily disagree with the holding, because the general rule is to defer to the prison's rules unless they're totally nuts, but it's fun to picture the kind of prison gang that could form out of a D&D campaign.

Indeed, it would be a hilarious spectacle.. I must admit I have a hard time imagining prisoners rolling their dice and playing their paladins and rogues. Maybe I have an unrealistic view of what kind of people inhabit prisons.

Fortune favors the bald.

I don't necessarily disagree with the holding, because the general rule is to defer to the prison's rules unless they're totally nuts, but it's fun to picture the kind of prison gang that could form out of a D&D campaign.

Indeed, it would be a hilarious spectacle.. I must admit I have a hard time imagining prisoners rolling their dice and playing their paladins and rogues. Maybe I have an unrealistic view of what kind of people inhabit prisons.

Maybe they are playing a party of rogues that got caught by the city guard (damn magic ward went off with a loud wailing siren)?

The Waterdeep Wanderers fighting to defend their territory against the Luskan Lowlifes :shifty:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I reckon the game Paranoia would be more appropriate.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

There's always been weird minority protest against D&D since its beginnings, usually by christians afraid of their kids playing against demons blah blah blah yawn zzz.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

There's always been weird minority protest against D&D since its beginnings, usually by christians afraid of their kids playing against demons blah blah blah yawn zzz.
There was a story about a few priests, who, to alleviate parental concerns, asked some regulars to play DnD at the temple one weekend to determine if RPGs were really as dangerous as they were told. Long story short, the head priest announced at a gathering later that DnD wasn't just harmless, but helped the players learn words above their age group. The parents' reaction? Looking at him as if they're not sure he's brainwashed or insane.

I still recall picking up a message in a bottle back in the eighties which turned out to contain a pamphlet saying DnD was evil, along with the World Council of Churches, for some reason that was never explained.

-Elwood Blues

I still recall picking up a message in a bottle back in the eighties which turned out to contain a pamphlet saying DnD was evil, along with the World Council of Churches, for some reason that was never explained.

It wasn't a small, oblong, black-and-white pamphlet/comic book with lots of 'helpful' info in the back about becoming a Christian, the importance of reading the KJV every day and joining a church where the Bible is at the centre of everything, was it? If so, that's Chick Publications at its finest.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

It wasn't a small, oblong, black-and-white pamphlet/comic book with lots of 'helpful' info in the back about becoming a Christian, the importance of reading the KJV every day and joining a church where the Bible is at the centre of everything, was it? If so, that's Chick Publications at its finest.

I don't really remember, but I don't think it was a cartoon. I do remember being surprised when I saw a Chick tract later.

-Elwood Blues