Keynes vs. Hayek, go!

Meshugger

Before starting to throw pies at each other, remember this:

He was the one really great man I ever knew, and for whom I had unbounded admiration. The world will be a very much poorer place without him.

- Friedrich Hayek on Keynes death.

"In my opinion it is a grand book ... Morally and philosophically I find myself in agreement with virtually the whole of it: and not only in agreement with it, but in deeply moved agreement."

- John Maynard Keynes on Hayek's book "The Road the Serfdom".

...and we're off!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I thought this would be Salma Hayek Vs Maynard Keynes. Disappointment.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Get your ass to the tit-thread(ME2) then, we need you!

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Personally, i have a hard time between the two, since in one way, they are very equal: wanting prosperity for everyone. In another way, they are complete opposites: One wants to the state to fuse capital into the economy in order balance the ups and downs in the long run, while the other wants to limit the power of the state so that the economy would balance itself out.

My problem comes from that they both deal with power. With one, the state can grow too powerful and corrupt and can even hinder development. The other can also corrupt and hinder the economy because of those in wealth will do anything keep it, even influencing the state to make laws to protect their interests.

That's my two cents.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Personally, i have a hard time between the two, since in one way, they are very equal: wanting prosperity for everyone. In another way, they are complete opposites: One wants to the state to fuse capital into the economy in order balance the ups and downs in the long run, while the other wants to limit the power of the state so that the economy would balance itself out.

My problem comes from that they both deal with power. With one, the state can grow too powerful and corrupt and can even hinder development. The other can also corrupt and hinder the economy because of those in wealth will do anything keep it, even influencing the state to make laws to protect their interests.

That's my two cents.

So... what you're saying is... you need a balance between the two? ;(

That's my two cents.

So... what you're saying is... you need a balance between the two? :lol:

Something like that. How do you minimize the abuse of power the best?

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

:lol::lol:

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Quick, everyone! Imagine Salma Hayek in From Dusk til Dawn! Now that's what I call trickle down economics.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

No, no, the economist. And Salma. In a sweaty battle of wits and hawtness.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

oh, ok. i thought a sweaty battle between beautiful selma hayek and eccentric maynard keenan would be equally interesting, however. well, if you're into that sort of thing. :lol:

taks

comrade taks... just because.

given keenan's erratic on-stage behavior (seen him twice now, equally odd both times), it is entirely within the realm of possibility that it would be a solo hayek show.

taks

given keenan's erratic on-stage behavior (seen him twice now, equally odd both times), it is entirely within the realm of possibility that it would be a solo hayek show.

taks

You say that like it's a bad thing.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

In the Tool days he mostly just did his contortionist thing, it was pretty awesome though. They only played here once, but I saw em.

..also, Im a Keynes man, not to anyones surprise.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

In the Tool days he mostly just did his contortionist thing, it was pretty awesome though. They only played here once, but I saw em.

he was backlit behind a screen when i saw him the first time, so all we got was his shadow. the second show i saw i don't recall what he did (same tour, different venue, however).

taks

he was backlit behind a screen when i saw him the first time, so all we got was his shadow. the second show i saw i don't recall what he did (same tour, different venue, however).

taks

It was the same thing when i saw Tool a couple of years ago. Completely backlit so we could only see a a giant silhuette of him during the 2-2,5h concert. Quite odd since he actually talked a lot to the audience and made jokes between the songs as well. I think that Maynard probably has the driest humor of any "superstar" that i know of.

They had cool visualeffects during the show though.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Salma Hayek should do economics lectures. I'd actually pay attention then.

-Elwood Blues