Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

Humodour

I bought this off Steam for cheap and am playing it now.

I find myself liking (loving?) this game for one of the same reasons I loved Deus Ex 1 (and even NOLF1): the combat is darn fun. There's so many ways to do any one fight. I especially love kicking enemies into fires or shooting them in the head with a fireball when two of them are on a ladder coming up to kill me. Shooting the top guy knocks him onto his mate so they both plummet to their doom.

Play as pure mage & throw statues into enemies' faces using Telekinesis. Never gets old.

Or for ultimate creativity, use Ice spell on floors & make patrolling guards slip & plummet to their doom.

Also, for lulz,

don't rescue the annoying, chubby chick so that she returns to haunt you in undead form. Priceless.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Don't get me wrong, Deus Ex was an excellent game, but the combat was very clunky. Finding new and fun ways to kill enemies was great(traps, reprogramming stuff, stealth, etc.), but the actual shooty/stabby part of combat was horrid.

Edited by Purkake

Xana can possess me any day, hurr hurr hurr.

+1

I had a bit of a soft spot for that game when it came out. Maybe it's just my perverse attachment to kicking/throwing people off of high places, which also made Assassin's Creed a joy.

You did a walkthrough for it on Gamespot too, unless it's a different Matthew Rorie.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Don't get me wrong, Deus Ex was an excellent game, but the combat was very clunky. Finding new and fun ways to kill enemies was great(traps, reprogramming stuff, stealth, etc.), but the actual shooty/stabby part of combat was horrid.

The thing is, it's more likely you just suck.

Edit: But I still love you.

Edited by Krezack

Loved Deus Ex, but I agree with this. If you took the combat and plopped it in any other action fps game of the time it would be a horrible shooter. Mass Effect is similar. If you took the combat from ME and dropped it in Gears of War or most other 3rd person action games it wouldn't be very good. Because Mass Effect/Deus Ex have so much going for them besides the combat you can easily overlook the combat flaws.

Just did about an hour, not bad. Story's probably a load of crap but I did enjoy what they did when you get attacked outside the city - great use of FPP and camera. Fighting is fun purely because of kicking and setting people on fire and such, but we'll see how long that lasts.

OMG you can dropkick stuff! Pick something up with E and then kick with F and it kicks the object forward low in a straight line. More accurate than a normal toss I think.

Haha, 6 full playthroughs and I never noticed that. Thanks for the heads up, going to try that next time.

Yeah Dark Messiah was back then in 2006 a really good game, but for today's standards it's banal and boring. It just didn't age very well.

I didn't know games have best before dates :p

I think in certain cases they do. Certain games, if missed, can be put to shame by newer games. I frequently see this when I hear about some ground breaking game, miss it at release then play it years later and I just can't see what is so special about it. Usually because I've played some clone that came later and improved upon the formula and the aged innovator now looks dull to me.

I don't think Dark Messiah aged that badly though. I just played it for the first time a week or two ago myself and I enjoyed it. It could have used a bit more variety in enemy types but the combat was fun.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

Yeah Dark Messiah was back then in 2006 a really good game, but for today's standards it's banal and boring. It just didn't age very well.

Never had your copy of Requiem: Avenging Angel explode in the CD drive, huh?

I think in certain cases they do. Certain games, if missed, can be put to shame by newer games.

Yes, true. I'm just the type who thinks that older games won't go automatically bad even if a newer and better comes along. But in the case of DM, if you know a game in the same genre which is better, then please do tell because me wants. I would be really happy to have DM2 or Severance 2 or anything like them.

Never had your copy of Requiem: Avenging Angel explode in the CD drive, huh?

Haha no. I was still a Playstation dude during that time.

I did play it at my friends. I remember the first level scared the hell out of us :p

I think in certain cases they do. Certain games, if missed, can be put to shame by newer games.

Yes, true. I'm just the type who thinks that older games won't go automatically bad even if a newer and better comes along. But in the case of DM, if you know a game in the same genre which is better, then please do tell because me wants. I would be really happy to have DM2 or Severance 2 or anything like them.

Not exactly the same genre, but RUNE. UT engine wasn't manly enough, so Human Head added vikings. :p Edited by Oner

Not exactly the same genre, but RUNE. UT engine wasn't manly enough, so Human Head added vikings. :p

I loved Rune, it was a badass game.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life