Mass Effect 2

Gorth

awesome, i really am eager to hear about the ui since i didnt play ME 1 on the pc

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

You're all looking at it from your own experience. True, none of this RPG stuff is too complicated, especially when compared to wargames and such - but its not that most people lack the brains to comprehend it - its the motivation. I've seen it again and again - if a game is not a pick up and play affair they'd rather not bother.

Mass Effect is a pick up and play RPG or as close as you can get to it (okay Jade Empire is simpler). That ensures better sales and a bigger crowd. With this crowd comes a horde of people whose aspirations are low to say the least.

They want shooting, they want t!ts and they don't want to think. I'm not saying it like its a bad thing - I enjoy shooters just as much as the next man, I'm just saying that in expanding from the PRG nerd base they will get all sorts of fans - and those whose biggest motivation is virtual clevage.

Its their own doing in an effort to expand their sales, but it comes with a price.

Dont forget that the most successful RPG ever is not BG or whatever - its most likely Diablo.

*Curiously Maria isn't around to comment either way on these sex scenes.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

i dont think of mass effect as an rpg, i never have. its a shooter with stats and dialogue

some people call that an rpg, others dont

all i care about is which version i should get

1) continue my game on my xbox

2) get it on pc and lose my save file from the xbox but gain the ability to add mods to the game and maybe have a better interface

i cant decide

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Because it wouldn't be a Bioware DLC without some activation fiascos: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/105/index/769183/1

Apparently, if you enter your DLC code on the social site before you do so using the in-game activation function (which the in-box documentation says will work), your code gets used up and you can't download your DLC.

@enterix: Someone earlier in this thread posted a site that is archiving ME1 saves that other people can DL to import into ME2. So, if you decide to go PC, you can look there and pick one that approximates your ME1 playthrough.

Edited by Enoch

Because it wouldn't be a Bioware DLC without some activation fiascos: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/105/index/769183/1

Apparently, if you enter your DLC code on the social site before you do so using the in-game activation function (which the in-box documentation says will work), your code gets used up and you can't download your DLC.

@enterix: Someone earlier in this thread posted a site that is archiving ME1 saves that other people can DL to import into ME2. So, if you decide to go PC, you can look there and pick one that approximates your ME1 playthrough.

SNAP!

that is so awesome...

y'know i was thinking of just getting pc cause i figured within a week of release a mod would be put out which allows a person to adjust all the prior savegame "settings", but i dont want to get the pc version IF the controls and ui are WORSE than the xbox version

like vanilla oblivion on the pc... puke

or indigo prophecy... puke at pc controls

or the third thief game.... puke

fallout 3 was on the line... but mods made the ui much better

still got to wait a day to play :/

and I figured the romance parts would get dumbed down because of AMERICA; "OMG we can't have our sexually frustrated 12 year olds play a game with a pixel naked scene (that does absolutely nothing for you i might add). It might upset our masterplan of eliminating babies in the world so we can have an interstellar freebee with three legged creature of the 9th dimension from outer space"

They should have released this game as a book with multi dialog options. "If you choose to go with dialog option 1, please skip to page 118 of this book. If your a minor, you should note that Dialog option 1 is mature content, therefor call this number 500 0001 to have your age verified, and/or scrutinized by proud protective parents that has no clue on raising children."

sargothsigcopy.jpg

Someone at bioforums posted what benefits he got when he imported level 50 Shep from ME1:

For importing a (full or almost full, got the 75% acheiv) Paragon, level 50, when I started, I got:

+2000 exp (start at level 3)

+30000 credits

+5000 Element Zero (eezo)

+5000 Iridium

+5000 Palladium

+5000 Platinum

+190 Paragon

+19 Renegade

And for having the Rich Achievement:

+100000 Credits

Someone at bioforums posted what benefits he got when he imported level 50 Shep from ME1:

For importing a (full or almost full, got the 75% acheiv) Paragon, level 50, when I started, I got:

+30000 credits

+5000 Iridium

+5000 Palladium

+5000 Platinum

+190 Paragon

+19 Renegade

+100000 Credits

Not bad.

So I watched the romance vids posted earlier. Garrus' was nice, bar the terminator head (and he looked like a Talan with that wine bottle . Tali's wasn't bad either.

+30000 credits

+5000 Iridium

+5000 Palladium

+5000 Platinum

+190 Paragon

+19 Renegade

+100000 Credits

Not bad.

Kinda tough to judge what any of that means without knowing how quickly you would earn that XP normally, what all the minerals & credits can be used for, and how much of each is considered "a lot." The alignment points are particularly confusing-- what is that on a scale of?

So I watched the romance vids posted earlier. Garrus' was nice, bar the terminator head (and he looked like a Talan with that wine bottle . Tali's wasn't bad either.

The Garrus vid is hilarious. I didn't believe that you really can go T-800 with Shepard :aiee:

Though I bet that only very few people will note it in any way, no matter how heavymetal you are.

Kinda tough to judge what any of that means without knowing how quickly you would earn that XP normally, what all the minerals & credits can be used for, and how much of each is considered "a lot." The alignment points are particularly confusing-- what is that on a scale of?
Some of that stuff is for fuel and gear upgrading.

The Garrus vid is hilarious.
It was funny, yes, but a bit touching too. Edited by Oner

"i dont think of mass effect as an rpg, i never have. its a shooter with stats and dialogue"

It's an Action RPG with shooter elements. Sadly, ME2 is really pushing the lmits, though. Still, more rpg than shooter.

Anyways, played ME2 until Im got full control of the ship. From what looks at the post above, I got screwed, as my Shep was level 48 and I got stuck as a level 2.

Anyways, some quick non spoiler stuff...

- graphis, music, sound, and voice overs are as awesome as ever

- the open sequence is fantastic

- the stat/talent is very streamlined

- lack of inventory - even the crappy ME1 version - is very crap

- the new Normandy is absolutely fantastically done. Upgrade indeed.

- i love the way you navigate space.. very cute the way you actually move your spaceship

- the characters are nice... miranda is the biggest bitch ever lol she makes ashley or Morrigan seem like child's play :aiee:

- i overall dislike the new mini games. It's not that their horirble - in fact, I find them creative and more challenging than the old ones - but god, they're annoying.. really wish you could use omni gel to pass them - if you can i haven't figured out how

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

... I wasn't going to buy it right away, but I have an insane amount of free time coming up and the game just looks awesome.

EDIT: Also that Garrus scene was very well done. TBH, it looked a lot more credible as a romance. Maybe it's the lack of weird sex scene.

EDIT2: Ok, so they're all done pretty well actually.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Morrigan and Subject Zero are bitches. Miranda is an ice princess.

Instead of managing inventory, you buy or scan upgrades and do research.

The companions are the plot.

Mass Effect 2 is far superior to Mass Effect in regards to gameplay, story-telling, and squadmates. It's possibly the most linear BioWare game since Jade Empire though.

Feed your fish after EVERY mission. If someone says, "You need to talk to companion X or important person Y," feed your fish before hand. Some conversations will lead immedately to missions.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I'm now stuck at the "Please Wait..." for the Cerberus Network thing. SO basically you cannot play with the 2 free dlc's that come with the game. :aiee:

That's kind of ruining the experience so far... oh well.

If someone says, "You need to talk to companion X or important person Y...

Do I need to live in total fear, like Mass Effect 1, that if I talk to a NPC of the opposite sex, they will instantly romance me faster than a face hugger jumping out of a freshly opened Alien egg? i.e. NEVER EVER EVER talk to them?

Edited by Jaesun

Feed your fish after EVERY mission. If someone says, "You need to talk to companion X or important person Y," feed your fish before hand. Some conversations will lead immedately to missions.

If we do that, do we get the "Summon Bigger Fish" ability?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"