My 5 Questions

Hey guys new to the forums just started to take a interest in this game just got some questions

SORRY if i have posted this in wrong area

1.How often does this site update weekly monthly?

2.Does anyone have a more accurate realease date?

3.How many weapons are in this game not including variations?

4.Is there any knife form of combat?

5.Does this game have any realation to the TV show Burn Notice about a spy who got burned and attempts to find a way back into the CIA coincidence main charectors name in game is Micheal Thorton in TV show Micheal Western?

Edited by mxfighter gr

1. Sporadically. It should pick up here soon. Generally an update every 1-2 weeks is the norm.

2. Nope!

3. I assume you mean weapon types. There are pistols, submachine guns (dual-wielded), shotguns, and assault rifles, as well as unarmed combat. There are also a number of non-combat skills.

4. That's a good question. There's a knife but I think it's only been shown to be used in stealth takedowns. Maybe one of the devs can say if it's usable in hand-to-hand combat.

5. Nope.

I don't think we were ever said how many weapons there was in every branch...

Good news, from Chris Avellone's twitter :

working on an Alpha Protocol interview for Game Banshee. Jon asks good questions.

Good questions he? That's good, I always felt the interviewers always asked the same questions about the game in past interviews, I found it annoying!

1.How often does this site update weekly monthly?

2.Does anyone have a more accurate realease date?

3.How many weapons are in this game not including variations?

4.Is there any knife form of combat?

5.Does this game have any realation to the TV show Burn Notice about a spy who got burned and attempts to find a way back into the CIA coincidence main charectors name in game is Micheal Thorton in TV show Micheal Western?

Hey bud, welcome to the forums. I'll see if I can answer some of these.

1: We haven't been updating very often lately, but things are going to start moving pretty soon in terms of new interviews/press stuff/etc. If you're looking for some background info, I would check out our blog on IGN for some good info on the game.

2: Sorry, no. I think Sega is going to be working on getting one set soon.

3: There are four main categories of weapons: pistol, smg, shotgun, and assault rifle. Within each category, though, there will be multiple weapon manufacturers, and thus many different types of each weapon, with different strengths and weaknesses. There are also a ton of weapon mods you can buy for your weapons to customize them more. There are also some special weapons that you can nab throughout the game, like rocket launchers or turrets.

4: There is a knife that MT can use; the knife is used to stealthily take down your enemies if you manage to sneak up on them and want to kill them quietly. (You can also use non-lethal stealth takedowns if that's your bag.)

5: No real relation, sorry. I think Alpha Protocol was conceived before Burn Notice started to air. But I know some team members are fans of it. Always meant to check it out, myself...

Matthew Rorie

If you do a non-lethal takedown, do your enemies get up again, a while later?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I ****ing hope not. That's so annoying. Screw realism.

No non-lethal takedown is complete without zip-tying the victim's wrists and ankles together. (And, where possible, attaching said bindings to a stationary object.)

If there's no gameplay difference between a lethal and a non lethal takedown, the choice becomes essentially meaningless.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

If there's no gameplay difference between a lethal and a non lethal takedown, the choice becomes essentially meaningless.
If. If at the end of a mission you ally with the guy who's place you've been infiltrating, he'll be happier to that his men are alive. Also, some of us don't want to necessarily kill anyone in sight.

Did the epilogue slide show matter at the end of Fallout? Nope. Did it make people happier? You bet.

I'd guess that the there won't be a gameplay difference within the mission. (At best, the animation for non-lethal takedowns will take a little more time, thus presenting a greater risk of being spotted by some other enemy.) But we do know that in terms of mission results, perks, achievements, and faction influence, the decision whether to kill or to incapacitate/avoid will have some importance.

I'd love it if, say, a repeat visit to an NPC would find him surrounded either by the same (very angry) guards you incapacitated or avoided before, or by newly recruited (either stronger or weaker) guards to replace the guys you wasted the last time around.

Edit:

Did the epilogue slide show matter at the end of Fallout? Nope. Did it make people happier? You bet.

I think the better example is how many gamers tried to play Deus Ex non-lethally, even though the in-game feedback on your killing/sparing enemies disappeared once you were through the first 2 or 3 levels.

Edited by Enoch

I'd guess that the there won't be a gameplay difference within the mission. (At best, the animation for non-lethal takedowns will take a little more time, thus presenting a greater risk of being spotted by some other enemy.) But we do know that in terms of mission results, perks, achievements, and faction influence, the decision whether to kill or to incapacitate/avoid will have some importance.

I would prefer to have a non-lethal takedown option. This can be realistic if you consider that a spy will perhaps need to take as much time to stow away dead bodies as she would comatose, living bodies. Your rebuttal that non-lethal takedown stowing is noticeable can be countered by the fact that a dead body left in the middle of the hallway is just as noticeable.

I recall Metal Gear Solid 2, where I beat a guard unconscious and stowed him in a locker. I could also kill him and stow his dead body there.

Obsidian Devs can give player characters horse tranqs to use on foes that the spy recently made unconscious, that is, if the player needs more than 5 to ten minutes before that foe awakens and alarms (an estimation of regaining consciousness after losing air supply or getting smacked in the head).

Finally, killing an enemy in a busy hall with a suppressed weapon can leave signs around the well-trafficked environment, such as spurts of blood on a wall about the height of a head. Choosing a non-lethal takedown minimizes chances of another enemy combatant discovering signs of infiltration. Yes, the body will need to be disposed of somewhere discreet, but that can be planned and worked out as well. We assume our spy is in peak physical condition, trained extensively in lifting awkward, heavy objects in the gym before the mission.

Edit:

I think the better example is how many gamers tried to play Deus Ex non-lethally, even though the in-game feedback on your killing/sparing enemies disappeared once you were through the first 2 or 3 levels.

I pondered about presenting this parallel, but I didn't spare the MJ12 troops, so giving this example would've been kinda hypocritical. :rolleyes:

Whenever the question of kill versus non-lethal takedowns crop up.. I keep getting flashbacks to NOLF..and the overheard conversations of the "evil minion thugs" talking about their family lives and what christmas presents they were getting for their kids...

:sorcerer:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

There was no difference in Deus Ex, and yet it wasn't meaingless because characters and dialogue develope differently based on your actions (hopefully AP extends on this, because while the dialogue changed, the consequences didn't change much - which was still fine - a lot of us are roleplayers, Pidesco).

Actually even in gameplay non-lethal was meaningful because it was usually the quickest, most silent way to remove an enemy, which certainly alters gameplay.

SO YOU'RE WRONG!!!!111

Edited by Krezack

Whenever the question of kill versus non-lethal takedowns crop up.. I keep getting flashbacks to NOLF..and the overheard conversations of the "evil minion thugs" talking about their family lives and what christmas presents they were getting for their kids...

:*

It was kind of gamebreaking that I was forced to kill them. There was no really valid non-lethal option. My only significant gripe with NOLF. And why was non-lethal ineffective in NOLF? Well besides the fact that it was ****ing difficult to pull off, in NOLF2 enemies woke up pretty quickly.

Enemies waking up is effectively punishing the player for choosing the non-lethal route, because you know that the person who just blew their head off had no such issues and that your own game would be easier (if not as enjoyable to roleplay) if you did the same.

Edited by Krezack

I have questions as well :

--- are there attributes in this game? Or is it only skills and weapon modifications?

--- if there are attributes, how do they affect Mike?

--- how exactly do we "buy" skills? Dragon Age system (one point, one skill/talent) or Deus Ex system (we gain points, each level of each skill costs a certain number of these points)?

--- do you intend to speak a little bit more of some characters and plot points before the game ships? Because at this point, we really know only the very, very basics.

It's a skill-only system; no attributes.

The skill system awards you AP for leveling up and certain other tasks. Each level of a certain skill costs X amount of points, but some skills cost more to level up than others, with Stealth being the most expensive.

I certainly hope we get the opportunity to talk more about the plot before the game comes out - it's kind of the last major thing we have to speak on. There is a trailer that will hopefully be coming out sometime soon that sheds some light on the plot.

Matthew Rorie