Tony Evans leaving Obsidian for BioWare

funcroc

Minus the Dwarf, there was not one memorable or likeable character introduced. Tell me which one you liked and why?

I have to go to a movie festival so I can't detail the reasoning by which I liked some of my favourites (three of which are Isabela, Aveline, and Varric) at this time, but if you *really* want me to, I will.

Sometime people don't understand that getting any reaction from a player is a win for the writer. Hating or loathing a character means the writer did something right, just like if they brought out the like reaction. A writer has failed when it fails to draw any emotion from the reader/player/watcher.

Having said that only Varric, Aveline and the Arishock got any reaction from me. The rest nothing. And I'm not just talking companions, I'm talking every other character. Apathy was the prevailing emotion from my playthrough of DA2.

My bad, no more thread derailment from me. :banghead:

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Bye Tony Evans. I didn't know you, but just know that your name evokes some strong feelings even 9 months (I think?) after you left. *tear*

edit: 2 years! and 9 months. That's amazing. We really loved you buddy.

Edited by Hormalakh

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

Bye Tony Evans. I didn't know you, but just know that your name evokes some strong feelings even 9 months (I think?) after you left. *tear*

edit: 2 years! and 9 months. That's amazing. We really loved you buddy.

Ha ;)

Long enough time to be laid off from Bioware and founding his own social game company. Also helps out on Wasteland 2.

• Like 1

I think that Dragon Age 2 was the best Bioware's game, just after Mass Effect 2. It had great plot, cool characters and the best dialogs. I'm not fancy about their other games though... didn't like Baldur's Gate, nor NWN1.

amen brother!

One recent survey by a Washington-based researcher concluded that Americans were far more willing to participate in cannibalism then they have in the past hundred years. America is a nation that will not suffer abominations lightly.

Now get him back to OEI damnit!

Meh....I'd rather not....he decided to go to a complete sellout company that only cared about money and screwing the fans. I say leave him....Obsidian can do amazing things without such people....and good riddance.

1zq6793.jpg

Meh....I'd rather not....he decided to go to a complete sellout company that only cared about money and screwing the fans. I say leave him....Obsidian can do amazing things without such people....and good riddance.

What?

First off, he's talking about Kevin Saunders (completly different guy).

Secondly, how can you even say such a thing? Do you even know who Tony is. That's a horrible thing to say, dude.

(Not to mention Tony was the Lead Designer of SOZ which basically is the opposite of what you describe)

Edited by C2B

I'm gonna rock your world and shatter your reality but... Chris Avellone.. is David Gaider's friend!

I'm gonna rock your world and shatter your reality but... Chris Avellone.. is David Gaider's friend!

According to their tweets Chris Avellone is partying really hard with Bioware people when they meet at conventions. :)

He hasn't left to go to BioWare......I don't care if he's friends with David.

@Darth Trethon : Also stop writing like a stoner speaks. It's annoying.

I wouldn't know about stoners, never been one and never hanged out with any, but I see you must be quite familiar with stoners so let me change how I write.....NOT. Petty insults, that's sad.

Edited by Darth Trethon

1zq6793.jpg

What?

First off, he's talking about Kevin Saunders (completly different guy).

Secondly, how can you even say such a thing? Do you even know who Tony is. That's a horrible thing to say, dude.

(Not to mention Tony was the Lead Designer of SOZ which basically is the opposite of what you describe)

Yes....who also left for BioWare, did he not? He consciously and deliberately betrayed Obsidian to work for EA.

1zq6793.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The post is 2010. Blizzard was still reasonably respectable back then. I don't even think SC2 was out yet.

Edited by anubite

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

"Meh....I'd rather not....he decided to go to a complete sellout company that only cared about money and screwing the fans. I say leave him....Obsidian can do amazing things without such people....and good riddance. "

South Park. Dungeon Seige 3. ,Like these games don't scream 'sell out'. L0L

DA2 is a good game. Almost as good as DA1 and vastly sueprior to overrated shlock like KOTOR or BG1.

You trahs BIO but BIO helped out Obsidian immensely consideirng they helped them get a boosting hand to make NWN2 and KOTOR2 which got Obsidian a solid launching pad.

BIO is a respectable company that continue to make top selling game top selling game. Not too many copies can have their games sell 2mil+m and have them nonsensically considered 'unpopular'. L0L

The list of games that have sold that many over the history of gaming is still relatively small. L0L And, they're as popualr as ever.

Obsidian is pretty good (gotta keep it somewhat on Obsidian ;D) too.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Meh....I'd rather not....he decided to go to a complete sellout company that only cared about money and screwing the fans. I say leave him....Obsidian can do amazing things without such people....and good riddance. "

South Park. Dungeon Seige 3. ,Like these games don't scream 'sell out'. L0L

DA2 is a good game. Almost as good as DA1 and vastly sueprior to overrated shlock like KOTOR or BG1.

You trahs BIO but BIO helped out Obsidian immensely consideirng they helped them get a boosting hand to make NWN2 and KOTOR2 which got Obsidian a solid launching pad.

BIO is a respectable company that continue to make top selling game top selling game. Not too many copies can have their games sell 2mil+m and have them nonsensically considered 'unpopular'. L0L

The list of games that have sold that many over the history of gaming is still relatively small. L0L And, they're as popualr as ever.

Obsidian is pretty good (gotta keep it somewhat on Obsidian ;D) too.

You appear to be defining "selling out" as "making a game using someone else's original intellectual property under license," something which your "BIO" has been doing for over a decade. D&D games, Star Wars games, Sonic the Hedgehog (lol) and MDK2? How is that not "selling out," given that definition?

Edited by AGX-17

"You appear to be defining "selling out" as "making a game using someone else's original intellectual property under license," something which your "BIO" has been doing for over a decade. D&D games, Star Wars games, Sonic the Hedgehog (lol) and MDK2? How is that not "selling out," given that definition? "

Let's be clear. It doesn't matter to me what games a company works on. i don't consider it 'selling out'. All thats to me is if it's a good game I'll enjoy or not. I wa spoitning out hypocrisy of people claling BIO 'sellouts' because they worked on exisiting IPs by Obsidian fnaboys (I like Obsidian too - heck I paid $250 for PE lol) despite the fact that Obsidian has fcoused almost solely on others IPs.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Volorun, you're infamous. You know that? From what I've read about you, you're just playing an act. You're not actually a BioWare fanboy, but someone pretending to be. As some kind of parody? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe's_law? What say you in response?

I think you're actually an Obsidian fanboy reverse-trolling BioWare fanboys by acting like one.

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

Volourn has been around the forums since the classic Black Isle forums, when they first launched in 1999. It's hard to believe some of the old folks from there (myself included) are still around in some regard in these game forums, still talking about games that were near and dear to us all the way back then (I was 13 back in '99, loved BGI, II, and PS:T).

Quite a different perspective of personality from him that I'm seeing now, though, considering how much of a BGI fanboy he used to be. Humorous, really.

Sheesh ... Some People!

Volourn has been around the forums since the classic Black Isle forums, when they first launched in 1999. It's hard to believe some of the old folks from there (myself included) are still around in some regard in these game forums, still talking about games that were near and dear to us all the way back then (I was 13 back in '99, loved BGI, II, and PS:T).

Quite a different perspective of personality from him that I'm seeing now, though, considering how much of a BGI fanboy he used to be. Humorous, really.

So he is a troll?

I'm pretty sure Volourn likes BioWare games.

Pretty hopeful you mean, he has the same opinions as everybody else except he switched the opinions people have for Baldurs Gate for Dragon Age 2 and vice versa.

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif