Mass Effect 2

Pidesco

It's just a week. Besides, it looks like Bio is releasing the free DLC that includes the mako replacement hammerhead after ME2. Dunno how much after.

It's about a week, and the length of the delay has not been specified. Considering that similar problems resulted in DAO CE's getting lost in the shuffle, I have little doubts that Finland, the final frontier, won't be among the first few countries to get new printings of stuff and might well be in the "did we say a week? We meant a week after Return to Ostagar gets released on the PS3, or Hell freezes over, whichever happens second" territory.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that the Hammerhead won't be of use until later DLC. :lol:

Like I said, I'm not throwing a fit over this because it's an isolated incident, but because I'm getting hit by the same thing twice in ~2 months. :ermm:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Mass Effect 2 Trailer

Looking ever more interesting.

I liked that one. I hope it's somewhat about that the trailer suggests; galactic species coming together to fight for a common goal and NOT the lone human hero saving all other helpless species that can't do **** on their own.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

But those aren't representatives of other races in any formal manner, they're thugs and psychopaths you spend a portion of the game collecting from various hell holes. As I understand it the entire operation is run by humans - Cerberus.

The trailer is better than the short character ones though.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

It's just a game, not a AIDS vaccine :lol:

Order it from UK then. Cheaper and you might get it earlier.

I work in logistics, so I get really anal about this sort of mess-up. :ermm:

I won't enter into the details of the nightmare that is the UK preorder situation, but let's just say that, no, I won't order it from the UK. o:)

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Mass Effect delivers exactly what I want from a video game. I loved the first one despite its flaws. I've been trying not to get too excited about the sequel, but that launch trailer... wow.

I don't understand why people rip on ME for being so unabashedly epic, yet speak in hushed reverential tones of the fabled Baldur's Gate series. Look, I loved those games too, but SoA and ToB pretty much define the term "epic adventure." If you're sick of saving the world/galaxy, go play Shenmue and move pallets with a forklift for three hours.

Another baseless criticism leveled at ME is the series' infatuation with EXTREME behavior. Why exactly is it so shameful for an RPG to allow your PC to role-play John McClane? Video games are escapism. I'm not going to push someone out of a window in real life, so I appreciate BioWare giving us the opportunity to role-play a protagonist who doesn't play by society's rules, maaaan. And does anybody really want a mild-mannered Commander Shepard?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to grabbing some collars next week. Say goodnight, Manuel.

Edited by Darth Drabek

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

I would like to petition that we never mention atrocious fantasy games in this thread ever again. The fact is that if the game has even the slightest elf, orc, dragon or medieval weapon in it, Mass Effect is superior by default. Because space will always be way more awesome than elves and even wizards.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Mass Effect delivers exactly what I want from a video game. I loved the first one despite its flaws. I've been trying not to get too excited about the sequel, but that launch trailer... wow.

I don't understand why people rip on ME for being so unabashedly epic, yet speak in hushed reverential tones of the fabled Baldur's Gate series. Look, I loved those games too, but SoA and ToB pretty much define the term "epic adventure." If you're sick of saving the world/galaxy, go play Shenmue and move pallets with a forklift for three hours.

Another baseless criticism leveled at ME is the series' infatuation with EXTREME behavior. Why exactly is it so shameful for an RPG to allow your PC to role-play John McClane? Video games are escapism. I'm not going to push someone out of a window in real life, so I appreciate BioWare giving us the opportunity to role-play a protagonist who doesn't play by society's rules, maaaan. And does anybody really want a mild-mannered Commander Shepard?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to grabbing some collars next week. Say goodnight, Manuel.

Shadows of Amn is most certainly not about saving the world, at best you save an elven village(plus your soul) and even in Throne of Bhaal the world is hardly at stake.

The whole super awesome main character thing is such a cliche, especially when you don't grow into it, but start out as such. I'd like my post-postmodern heroes, especially in sci-fi, to resemble actual relatable characters not some superhero caricatures. If you really want to go the caricature route, at least don't take yourself too seriously. This is another problem with many many games.

Edited by Purkake

I think I'd be silenced for eternity if they allowed me not to save the world once, with REM's "Its the end of the world as we know it...", playing in the background.

"... and I feel fine."

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Personally, I'm holding out some ever-so-faint hope that the "best" ending of ME2, from a 'galaxy-saving' point of view, is the one where your whole team sacrifices itself. Make the decision actually difficult, pitting the story motivation against the motivation springing from the player's investment in his/her character.

(Really, my ideal ending is the "Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" ending. But that's just because I'm a contrarian **** who delights at Andy-Kaufman-esque attempts to get entertainment out of angering one's biggest fans.)

I would be as well but I dont know how anyone would want to join Shepard in ME3 if he keeps on getting his people killed.

I mean if the sh!t has hit the fan with the Reapers I'd rather spend my final days drunk somewhere with a woman than follow a dude who's the only one to come out of his own plans alive.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Personally, I'm holding out some ever-so-faint hope that the "best" ending of ME2, from a 'galaxy-saving' point of view, is the one where your whole team sacrifices itself. Make the decision actually difficult, pitting the story motivation against the motivation springing from the player's investment in his/her character.

(Really, my ideal ending is the "Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" ending. But that's just because I'm a contrarian **** who delights at Andy-Kaufman-esque attempts to get entertainment out of angering one's biggest fans.)

If they actually manage to pull it off in a non-cringeworthy manner, I'd give them mad props. I can't think of any recent-ish AAA that kills the protagonist at the end, especially in the middle of a trilogy.

Shadows of Amn is most certainly not about saving the world, at best you save an elven village(plus your soul) and even in Throne of Bhaal the world is hardly at stake.

The whole super awesome main character thing is such a cliche, especially when you don't grow into it, but start out as such. I'd like my post-postmodern heroes, especially in sci-fi, to resemble actual relatable characters not some superhero caricatures.

I addressed two specific issues in one paragraph there and conflated some things that didn't belong together. Let me clarify:

1) The "Epic" feel. What is it? It's it! Hard to define, but it isn't completely story-dependent. Shepard is a better-than-average human military officer who saves the galaxy. Epic, sure. SoA and ToB PC started out as a nobody but can actually become a god with crazy god-powers. Also epic, regardless of story.

2) The "save the world" plot. Obviously, I didn't intend to use SoA and ToB as examples of this. Hell, you spend most of SoA searching for a girl the greater world wouldn't miss. Sure, the "save the world" plot is cliche (especially the "ancient evil returns to kill us all!" element), but it's a space opera for crying out loud! Saving the galaxy is what you do in space operas!

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

My point is that you don't need to inflate the stakes to cosmic levels to make the story feel epic. With decent writing a personal story will be easier to relate to and be much more gripping and satisfying than fighting for some abstract goal of cosmic proportions. Not many developers understand this or at least don't have enough initiative(or freedom from publishers) to stray from the norm.

Epic is in the execution, not just in the idea. And you can either pull it off - or not.

Eg: there was an intention for the plot of say NWN, to feel epic. It failed.

@Purkake: I agree and its a proven thing, BG, Torment etc.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

I guess "save the world" is the easy way to an epic story and there's nothing wrong with the basic idea, but if everyone uses it, it loses any meaning or significance.

Like if every main character was a tough badass space marine, oh wait. :verymad:

Edited by Purkake

Like if every main character was a tough badass space marine, oh wait. :)

Now you're just showing your hate for those tough experienced professional soldier types over your joe-normal civilian who stumbles around blindly.... :verymad:

I mean, I know you can relate more to the everyman.. but realistically, the guy who happens to have had physical and mental training, and the experience of combat, is a whole heap more likely to survive and kick ass then joe schmuck who stumbles into it...

Unless joe schmuck then turns out to be an ex-special forces turned chef/computer geek/librarian.. :wub:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."