Mass Effect 2

Pidesco

Space marines and their loving companions go here, and not in the previous thread.

Enjoy.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

i was reading those ign articles about the improvements made to the character classes, i have to say, it sounds like they are at least really trying to make combat more fun this time around, the classes all have a unique ability now too to make them more distinct from one another - even more replay plus the prospect of fun combat!

i liked the first game well enough despite a few moderate flaws (level design, combat issues, side "quests"...), but this one looks like it might be a dramatic improvement... heres to hoping i guess

btw: does anyone know how they intend to not have planet visiting suck this time around? is every sidequest going to take place in the same building again?

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

btw: does anyone know how they intend to not have planet visiting suck this time around? is every sidequest going to take place in the same building again?

It's going to be a radical departure for Bioware. You will now have a choice of 2 entirely different buildings!

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Screenshot of ME2 armor customization

And the reviews have started....

February '10 OXM Review : Mass Effect 2 Cover

Mass Effect 2 - 9.5

+ Enveloping universe filled with interesting characters and revealing side stories.

+ Outstanding, flexible combat in gorgeous environments.

- Main story is a bit disappointing; dull element mining and hacking.

? Why do characters cry oil slicks?

Emo Effect.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Hard to take a reviewer seriously when they rate a game 9.5 and then in the same breath call the main story 'dissapointing'. What doesm that even mean? His expectations were that the story would be weorthy of a 12? Seriously, STFU, oxm. High rating is irrelevant when you prove to be dumb.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Hard to take a reviewer seriously when they rate a game 9.5 and then in the same breath call the main story 'dissapointing'. What doesm that even mean? His expectations were that the story would be weorthy of a 12? Seriously, STFU, oxm. High rating is irrelevant when you prove to be dumb.

Yeah, but what do you expect from OXM? They're like the Brittany Spears of gaming magazines: Formerly style without substance, currently discombobulated mess.

manthing2.jpg

*Soldier playthrough confirmed*

Well, if it's a heavy weapon - and it looks like a heavy weapon, you don't need to be a soldier to use it. :(

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Yeah, the heavy weapons are available to every class. There are now 19 weapon types divided into 6 weapon catagories. And all classes can wear all armors.

I'm waiting for the soldier reveal. I played a soldier in ME 1, but I'm not seeing any reason to keep the class in ME 2. The Sentinal is now the 'tank' while Vangard is the 'get in their face and blast them to bits' class.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Yeah, the heavy weapons are available to every class. There are now 19 weapon types divided into 6 weapon catagories. And all classes can wear all armors.

I'm waiting for the soldier reveal. I played a soldier in ME 1, but I'm not seeing any reason to keep the class in ME 2. The Sentinal is now the 'tank' while Vangard is the 'get in their face and blast them to bits' class.

Yes, I played (too much, due to some character set up mistakes) vanguards in ME, and at the moment it looks like I'll be switching over to the Sentinel. Tech Armor, Warp and Throw pretty much cover the aspects of vanguards I liked, and frankly, the last two playthroughs of shotgunning make me eager to use something else - and the SMGs look suitably therapeutic for what I have in mind.

Sorry for the double post, but:

1) Martin Sheen sounds like his dentures are falling off. I'm having a ton of trouble accepting the physical model of Illusive Man with his voice.

2) A lot of the 'expanded discussion cinematics' are looking wince-inducingly cheesy (Both in the Afterlife clip and in the Garrus intro). I had a friend point out that the 'homage to 80s scifi' thing Mass Effect has going calls for this, but still... :p

I've had these two breaking out to the surface for a while, and I had to share them. :p

Martin Sheen sounds like his dentures are falling off. I'm having a ton of trouble accepting the physical model of Illusive Man with his voice.

It would have been more awesome if the man would have been modeled after Sheen, but as they probably had him deisgned before they signed Jed bartlett to do his voice its ok. It's even more awesome than when World in Conflict managed to get Alec Baldwin to do their VO.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I liked the Vanguard mix.. but I'm not a big fan of the shotgun.... I went through ME using a pistol only for my Vanguard attempt.. Not sure if that'll work with the ME2 version.... I was liking the look of the submachine guns...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Who cares about the story in a shooter? :p

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

comic-book-guy-explaining-753993.gif

Your ignorance baffles me. Do you not know that Mass Effect is classified as a Shooter/Action-Adventure/RPG hybrid?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

It's like if a game is a genre hybrid, it excuses any mediocrity exclusive to each of its parts.

Heja Sverige!!

It's like if a game is a genre hybrid, it excuses any mediocrity exclusive to each of its parts.

Well, if you look purely at the shooter and rpg elements of Deus Ex, I'd say they were mediocre at best. And yet, it is one, if not the best, game ever made.

"It's like if a game is a genre hybrid, it excuses any mediocrity exclusive to each of its parts."

Nonsense. Good can outweigh bad.

ie. BG2 is one of my faves but it is lacklustred compared to certain other gamesm in terms of actual C&C. BG1 is even worse in that regard.

ie. FO has awesome C&C but the joinables are subpar and the main story is AVERAGE at best yet again, one of my favorite games ever.

*shrug*

It all depends what you want/expect from the game. I don't give a cvrap about shooters so I don't give a crap if its 'shooter' aspect is up to par (not saying it is or isn't just that I personally don't care either way). I'm playing it for story, characters, C&C, fun action rpgish combat, and universe history. *shrug*

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The roleplaying aspects of DeusEx were excellent, in terms of the options provided by the gameplay, if not in terms of the rules system, itself.

Heja Sverige!!

The roleplaying aspects of DeusEx were excellent, in terms of the options provided by the gameplay, if not in terms of the rules system, itself.

I'll give you that.