Refereeing assistance

Walsingham

Our local campaign which I am refereeing has come to a halt due partly to problems reconciling one of teh characters. He is a dwarf who has hooked up with some youngish elves, and they are adventuring in the Border Princes of the Warhammer universe. Problem is that he is a secret devotee of Khaine, god of murder. I have no clue how to play this.

Looking for some inspiration I rolled up some starting mutations using the Chaos codexes, and he got 'evil eye' which means he can kill anyone by looking them in the eye. This is kind of cool, and I intend to work it into his story as we go along, with him getting the images of those innocents he kills trapped in his eye. Probably the effects will get stronger the more innocents he kills (not with his eye) growing from unease, to fear, to terror , and finaly insta-death.

Now the basic plot is planned around bandit hunting, moving up to couriering, to fighting an orc horde, to fighting zombies etc etc, and maybe some grand political movements. But I don't see how having a murderer on board is going to do anything other than arse things up.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You could encourage him maybe to murder frightened, surrendered, shell-shocked and otherwise "harmless" enemies instead of civilians?

Maybe. but I think he's more sort of that guy from Heroes.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well, i would suggest don't coddle him. If he has an ability like that unleash him and then have the consequences of his actions smack him in the face. It might end up being a really short campaign but when one has an ability like that one tends to be hunted for their "evil".

The game might not even go the direction you would like it to based on his decisions.

Tell him to be careful when talking to his companions heh heh.

"finaly insta-death. "

That's horrible DMing. A PC should never be 'predetermined' to die under any circumstances.

Anyways, let him play the character. Eventually, he might murder the wrong person and he can pay for it. If you felt the character would mess up your camapiagn you shoudl have simply said no when he created it...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Who said the PC was going to die? :x I meant other people.

If he has to build up towards greater and greater power by quietly killing the innocent in individual acts I don't see it getting too far out of hand. Thing about chaos powers is that you generally end up 'inside the tiger you set out on'. So as he does more Khaine type stuff he'll probably mutate further. It's essentially a race to gain sufficient power and favour to reach daemonhood before you die or mutate to the point where you are just gibbering spawn.

I think I just answered my question, really. Maybe.

-Elwood Blues

"Probably the effects will get stronger the more innocents he kills (not with his eye) growing from unease, to fear, to terror , and finaly insta-death. "

I must have read this sentence in a completel;y wrong way. L0L I thoguht you were describing eventual effects on him. o:)

Now, that I reread it with your intention in mind, so much more obvious.. and, kinda of destriys my last post. :lol:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you set on him being evil? No taht came out wrong... Ok let me put it this way, how did you or the player decide on the characters background? Is he (The Devotee of Khaine) the only soul / personality in there?

Besides, "worships Khaine" is a bit open ended. Chaos Marauders worship him and so do the sadistic dark elves do too but the "good" elves call upon his might too.

You can probably use this duality to force the player to choose between the easy and slaughterfest path (the road to dammnation) or wartorn, barbed poath that is not too different from a slayers path.

Other than worshipping the primal aspect instead of chaos aspect, I can't see how you can put him into a "good side" questline

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

Are you set on him being evil? No taht came out wrong... Ok let me put it this way, how did you or the player decide on the characters background? Is he (The Devotee of Khaine) the only soul / personality in there?

Besides, "worships Khaine" is a bit open ended. Chaos Marauders worship him and so do the sadistic dark elves do too but the "good" elves call upon his might too.

You can probably use this duality to force the player to choose between the easy and slaughterfest path (the road to dammnation) or wartorn, barbed poath that is not too different from a slayers path.

Other than worshipping the primal aspect instead of chaos aspect, I can't see how you can put him into a "good side" questline

I suppose the only practical aspect would be a succession of 'evil-neutral enemies to fight. POssibly the servants of other gods. That would promote a tactical alliance.

*thinks*

I don't suppose it would make sense to have the party being forced to work with him because they get blamed for his past murders alongside him? *gasp* What a muredr he didn't actually commit?

-Elwood Blues

Well considering the fact that 75% of Warhammer "good" guys are also unmitigated bastards that sit on the "good being" side of the fence because they hate someone on the evil side of the fence, It shouldn't be too hard to get them working for bad guys hunting even worse guys.

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.