The Void

Humodour

It's an awesome first-person survival-thriller-RPG made by some indie Russians. It features brilliant voice-acting for a translation (or heck, for any computer game) and the inventory/interaction/skill/magic system called Colour is unique, fun and challenging.

The atmosphere and art are probably the best parts of it, though.

It's on Steam right now for half-price (i.e. $9.99). It's worth at least triple that because it's as good as any typical new release by major publishers.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/37000/

Note: it seems to run well on lower-end machines!

Note 2: logistically, the Colour system is difficult to wrap your head around at first (and heck it is half the fun of the game - you're still figuring it out half-way through), so expect to start the game more than once.

I'll buy it if you post a decent review. :down:

Naked hawt chicks.

GO BUY.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'll buy it if you post a decent review. :down:

Every review I have read has spoiled the game too much, so no. Go buy!!! I'll quote the start of one for you though:

A year and a half ago I wrote an article on RPS talking about how Pathologic was the most important game you never played. Lots of you went out and bought it, and I appreciate that, but most of you reported back that you couldn

I've bought this game and almost played it through. It is just as unique as it looks and it definitely has my seal of approval. Just remember to draw the Donor glyph with long "tails" :down:

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Considering the huge need for Emerald and Gold in at least the early part of the game, I think I'll restart so I can plant more of those trees. 2 of each doesn't seem to be enough.

Does anybody know why trees produce less each cycle? I mean trees that are planted each cycle (not the diminishing returns when they're running out). At first it was 46, but now it is 36 for a fresh tree. Is it because I've been using too much Silver in the world or what?

Perhaps it's related to the amount of certain colours you have in your heart. One colour gives a boost to gardening, I think.

Heja Sverige!!

Perhaps it's related to the amount of certain colours you have in your heart. One colour gives a boost to gardening, I think.

Violet I think, but I haven't had any of that yet!

The 'negatives' section of Colours in the game journal (Chronicles) confuses me.

Keep in mind that this is a lot more gamey than the Path, though. I mean the artistic intent is still a very important part of the game, but the actual gameplay systems are quite robust.

Heja Sverige!!

I'll probably pick it up tonight or tomorrow. Artsy like The Path? I mean, the Path was weird and substandard in a lot of ways, but I enjoyed it for what it was worth and the wife played it with me on the big screen. Gotta do the same thing here.

'Artsy' as in Morgoth is above playing/enjoying it, like most games, books and movies out there. :o

Honestly, this game being artsy is secondary. It's also got great gameplay mechanics and atmosphere. Haven't played The Path, sorry.

For reference, on Metacritic (aggregator), reviewers give this game an average rating of 80%, users give it 85%. Usually an 'artsy' game does well with reviewers but not with users.

It's on my list to play at some point. Maybe when it's on sale somewhere othere than Steam. :p

It's DRM-free so you should be able to download it from another digital store. You might want to ensure they don't use some sort of online validation system like Steam first though (i.e. their own DRM, which I'm guessing is the reason you're avoiding Steam).

E.g. http://www.direct2drive.com/8688/product/B...e-Void-Download

Although it says "This product is available worldwide excluding South Africa, Australia, and Western Europe."

WTF? I wonder if New Zealand counts as part of Australia there...

Or perhaps: http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-VOID/the-void

OK, so I restarted now that I know that the sisters want specific colours. Anyway I somehow managed to plant 3 full Emerald, 2 full Gold, 1 full Silver and 1 full Azure (Silver and Azure were mini-trees though) all in the first cycle. Next thing I know, the second cycle hits and it drops an absolute crapload of Amber in TWO different chambers! Ahaha awesome.

Love this game. I really should get past the metagaming and enjoy the plot and atmosphere, though.

So it's come to this now has it? Gone are the days of killing for ph4t l00t. Now we find colors for sisters. How the mighty have fallen. Damn you dopamine fix!

The Sisters are naked hotties that strike erotic poses when you give them Colour, though. :p

o:)

The Void has graced PC gamers with the second coming of the Messiah - a thought provoking, exhilarating, existential voyage as to what can change the nature of a man.

manthing2.jpg

Does anybody know why trees produce less each cycle?

It's a part of the game. Eventually the trees wither away and die, and then they can be planted anew.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Does anybody know why trees produce less each cycle?

It's a part of the game. Eventually the trees wither away and die, and then they can be planted anew.

You misunderstood what I mean - I understand the tree mechanic, diminishing returns each cycle after being planted.

But there's another aspect to it which I discovered after reading a dev post (and would probably eventually discover in game). Minor spoiler:

Each realm has its own 'hitpoints', and the more colour use use to feed a sister or plant a tree, the less hitpoints the realm has. The less hitpoints it has, the less colour new trees produce (among other things which are spoilers). Silver in your hearts reduces colour damage a sister's 'realm' (as does violet for planting, because you use less when planting). It adds yet another layer of complexity to the colour system. Geez.