Will Obsidian end up with another Jefferson?

Morgoth

^ Pop, do you think that the vice-like grip D&D has had on CRPGs is finally on the wane? I personally think this would be a good thing, but without the brand how do developers get the suits to agree to big CRPG titles nowadays?

DA is a hit, especially on the console (where D&D has only ever been marginal). I'm hoping that other companies are looking at DA and thinking that maybe they could throw their hats into the ring. Of course, we've got Blizzard and D3 but that's aimed at a different audience (is D3 going out on console too?) and some indie Euro CRPGs, but what about the niche that Bio / BIS used to occupy?

I wouldn't count D&D out just yet. Yeah, they've got a ****e publisher right now (isn't Hasbro trying to get the rights taken away from Atari now?) but they've also got a new, more glamorous edition of the system that hasn't been tapped for a vidya game yet. Maybe a revamp is what's needed to bring D&D back on top again. But right now, yeah, D&D is on the wane. Swords and Sorcery has always been the genre du jour, but I'd go so far as to say that the wild success of Bethsoft and to a lesser extent Bioware's non-D&D RPGs going back to KOTOR have made the scene safer for games that deviate from the standard.

"No clue if these rumours reflect reality, but i am kinda more inclined to believe them..."

I'd be shocked if SOZ sold more than MOTB. It be a rarity for a second expansion to outsell the first, and it doens't even matter about quality. It's alrgely basis on lessening return..

1. Buy NWN2.

2. Like it, buy MOTB. Dislike it, got to next game.

3. Like MOTB, buy SOZ. Don't like it, move to next game.

I'm sure there are exceptions to this 'rule'; but I'd definitely be shocked.

"Dragon Age and ME both had considerable corporate PR backing in the forms of EA and Microsoft, respectively. They were also created after Bioware's mythic reputation had already been forged, post-KOTOR. If Obsidz had made a LOTR-esque high fantasy in the vein of Dragon Age they wouldn't have gotten nearly as far as Bioware has."

Publisher is irrelevant here. ME and DA sold on the basis of BIO. It saysd a lot taht outside of JE 9which liekly sold between 1 and 2 mil copies) pretty much all BIO RPGs have sold between 2-3 mil (with probably a few just over 3 mil). BIO has an audience, and that doesn't really flunctuate much. It's that in built audience that has helped keep OBZ in business I think because the two companies share basically the same fanbase.

P.S. Atari is a good publisher. They did a fantastic job overall with NWN at leats until their new toy NWN2 came along but that was bound to happen. OBZ has had good publishers too so let's not make the same excuses that Troika tried to make up.

Atari has it sahre of success and failures as all publishes do since they release so many games. The difference a publisher can suvive releasing bombs, dev companies can't...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"No clue if these rumours reflect reality, but i am kinda more inclined to believe them..."

I'd be shocked if SOZ sold more than MOTB. It be a rarity for a second expansion to outsell the first, and it doens't even matter about quality. It's alrgely basis on lessening return..

1. Buy NWN2.

2. Like it, buy MOTB. Dislike it, got to next game.

3. Like MOTB, buy SOZ. Don't like it, move to next game.

I'm sure there are exceptions to this 'rule'; but I'd definitely be shocked.

I said bigger profit... You can have bigger profits with lower sales numbers...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I'm all for new systems. I personally think they can be better, that is more precise and a lot more complicated without the player having to be too involved in the nuts and bolts of its operation.

D&D on the other hand can't impliment a combat system that has 4 or 5 different rolls for defences and resistances in every turn, it would be too time consuming for tabletop. Why pretend that a computer game has the same needs as a tabletop and try to shoehorn one into the other anyway ?

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Which reminds me I really need to go play NWN2 and its expansions.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Quite honestly, I wouldn't worry myself about that.

Well, I'm sure you're right, Hal.

What I wouldn't give for a well made Warhammer (fantasy or 40k, take your pick) crpg... :lol:

Yeah, roleplaying with angry, militant Inquisitors and Space Marines....think of the possibilities! :thumbsup:

Yeah, roleplaying with angry, militant Sith and goody two-shoes Jedi... think of the possibilities! :lol:

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

P.S. Atari is a good publisher. They did a fantastic job overall with NWN at leats until their new toy NWN2 came along but that was bound to happen. OBZ has had good publishers too so let's not make the same excuses that Troika tried to make up.

Atari has it sahre of success and failures as all publishes do since they release so many games. The difference a publisher can suvive releasing bombs, dev companies can't...

Atari is apparently doing something wrong. This is the second time this year they are getting sued over something to do with D&D. If you read over the court docs that describe what Turbine sued them for, it sounds like they not only failed to help fund the release of DDO in North America, but then again in Europe.

Turbine is apparently capable of surviving a release bomb... considering they spent their own money on the two major releases of DDO without help from Atari.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2009/08/26/Atari.pdf

"Atari is apparently doing something wrong. This is the second time this year they are getting sued over something to do with D&D."

Fallacy. Being sued isn't proof of being guilty of doing soemthing wrong. Afterall, Bethesda is suing Interplay and so far they have been on the losing side. Interplay and BIO both sued each other with Interplay trying to destroy NWN and BIO with it. Seems Interplay failed there.

Lots of people have been sued and have not been in the wrong. Nice try, though.

Atari, btw, is the publisher of BIO's most successful game. They musta done something right.

On top of this, being a good puyblisher (or good anything for that matter) doesn't make you perfect. Nobody - lest of all me - claimed Atari was a PERFECT publisher.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Obz reminds me of those expert, but not-very-well-known screenwriters they parachute into ailing movies to sharpen things up, or make the sequel more awesome.
You mean script doctors?

You might be surprised at who those script doctors are! Some aren't nearly as not-very-well-known as you believe. For example, Carrie Fisher has spent most of her career as one of the top script doctors in the biz! Acting was not her first love; writing was. She once spoke at a writers' conference I attended, and spoke candidly about her life and her various careers. At that time, script doctoring was her career. Writing books was her passion. Unfortunately, her books were not as successful as her career as a script doctor.

Edited by ~Di

It's like that girl down the street. You know, the one your parents are always trying to set you up with. She's not overtly objectionable or anything, and she's pretty homely so she'll cook and clean for you and mind the kids. The problem, of course, is that she's boring as sin and would rather chore away at her fetch-and-carry daily routine than embark on any real adventure. She won't instill within you that passion that'll keep you up all night into the wee hours of the morning begging for one more kiss.

For me, Storm of Zehir is like that.

manthing2.jpg