Just saw Avatar

Humodour

Yeah, it's not overt, and I tend to be pretty forgiving anyhow. I know some folks thought the Valley of Elah (or whatever the name) was anti-military, but I didn't see it that way. As long as it's well done, I don't refuse to see movies because they might present a view with which I disagree. The graphics look good and folks fighting against bad guys trying to destroy them is not an outrageous story.

Anyhow, like I said, even if I don't see it in the theater, I'm going to see it on blue ray. To be honest, I might see it 3D. There's a huge imax theater in the high desert. It's not that long of a drive. The wife and I can go for lunch, an early movie, and maybe dinner before we return home.

To be honest, I knew absolutely squat about Avatar until about a week ago. I really don't see where all the hype folks are complaining about was coming from. Now that it's out, I'm hearing more, but that is in the way of reviews, mostly.

Who cares about hype? I mean, it's just a ridiculous to say you won't see something because of the praise as to say you will see something because of the praise. Frankly, I'm actually more likely to watch the film because Krezack and TrueNeutral were excited by what they saw. On it's face, from what I've seen, the story looks like the typical "western powers (mostly the US) are terrible and evil and anti-environment. Dunno. I don't tend to avoid most films because they might present opposing political views.

I thought about this, and at the end of it I just don't agree (that it's political - I'm not actively disagreeing with you).

You've got a set of people who are obviously sentient, civilised and intelligent, and they are being oppressed by a mixed group of ruthless humans who value profit over human rights. These humans then set about actively destroying the homes of the aforementioned sentients and murdering them without a second thought. How is this anything but evil? It hardly seems political to me and were we to compare it to any political entity these days, China springs to mind with it's ruthless authoritarian capitalism rather than the liberal capitalism of the West which is kept in check by human rights empowering democracies.

Personally, I felt like it wasn't really preaching it though. It felt more like "let's make cowboys and indians, except with aliens and high tech gadgets!". Sort of like how George Lucas made his tale of the naive farmboy who saves the princess from the horrible black knight. I mean, the theme is definately there. Humans need to stop being greedy etc. blah, but it never seemed to be preaching to today's political world. Not to me, anyway. Everyone will have their own interpretation, naturally.

Maybe the hype has only been in certain circles, but there's been chunks of it going on for the last year+ over "there's this totally original concept that Cameron's been working on for years and finally got greenlighted thats going to be the most awesomest awesome".

On a level of "I'm a sci-fi geek and it looks interesting" I'm going to watch it. But there's a point where tv adverts, online adverts, magazine adverts, hype in forums months before its released, movie news and rumours hit an emotional wall of "for crying out loud I'm sick of seeing Avatar!!! every other time I look around, turn a page, or flip a channel.". That's the sort of hype that pushes me into the "nah, I'm going to wait awhile." When I don't get a mental cringe from seeing the film's name, then I'll be able to sit back and try enjoying watching it.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The hype was absolutely minimal untilt he last week in the mainstream. Only nerds on the internet got the super hype. So... are you a nerd?

I don't know why I'm even replying to you of all people, but you are posting this on the message board for a video game developer who makes highly specialized cult video games. Wake up and smell your breath. It stinks of nerd.

Anyway, the backlash on this started three months before the first poster even came out. Every review of this movie that has come out contains either 'believe the hype' or 'don't believe the hype', whether it's an online review or a newspaper/television review. Maybe it's because I'm an animator and I subscribe to things like SFX and 3D World, but I don't remember it being mentioned in those, and even then, this movie had more hype than Lord of the Rings, The Dark Knight and Star Trek combined. If you don't follow movie news, sure. But anyone who did will have been beaten to death with it.

Edited by TrueNeutral

"but I don't remember it being mentioned in those, and even then, this movie had more hype than Lord of the Rings, The Dark Knight and Star Trek combined"

You kidding right? Yeah, you got to be kidding. This is simply blatantly false.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"you've been living under a rock and haven't watched a new movie in a theatre for the last six months or 'Downloading movies illegally', then I don't understand how anyone didn't know about this movie. "

1. I haven't been to a theatre in 5 years.

2. Knowing about a movie is not the same as it being super hyped. Sure, it was hyped; but comapred to others? Absolutely not. And, definitely not comapred to the three movies quoted.

It was one badass freaking movie.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

The hype was absolutely minimal untilt he last week in the mainstream. Only nerds on the internet got the super hype. So... are you a nerd?

I don't know why I'm even replying to you of all people, but you are posting this on the message board for a video game developer who makes highly specialized cult video games. Wake up and smell your breath. It stinks of nerd.

Anyway, the backlash on this started three months before the first poster even came out. Every review of this movie that has come out contains either 'believe the hype' or 'don't believe the hype', whether it's an online review or a newspaper/television review. Maybe it's because I'm an animator and I subscribe to things like SFX and 3D World, but I don't remember it being mentioned in those, and even then, this movie had more hype than Lord of the Rings, The Dark Knight and Star Trek combined. If you don't follow movie news, sure. But anyone who did will have been beaten to death with it.

I heard about The Dark Knight and LOTR all the time. I heard about Avatar only once when my nerdy friend started going on about a hot blue alien chick. Even then I thought he was referring to Mass Effect, but in hindsight...

I can sure as **** guarantee this movie was less hyped than LOTR or Dark Knight and I don't even know what movie you're referring to when you mention Star Trek. Maybe your graphics design circle is just overexposed to this sort of stuff. Frankly that's a far more logical conclusion.

That's entirely possible, I admit. Most of my friends are interested in this sort of thing, and most of the websites I visit are created by people who that applies to as well. But none of those movies broke Apple.com's trailer page for weeks on end. Avatar did. I can't remember another movie where the first images, nearly half a year before the movie came out, started an internet backlash because it was already overhyped.

EDIT: But enough of that. Some people were overhyped, other apparently weren't. Let's just leave it at that.

Edited by TrueNeutral

OK, I might go see it tonight. But there's a problem: only the 2D version has available seats for tonight. Is it worth waiting until another day to be able to see it in 3D or is it good enough as a movie to see in 2D?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Trailers for Avatar have been showing in theatres for the last 5 months. Unless you've been living under a rock and haven't watched a new movie in a theatre for the last six months or 'Downloading movies illegally', then I don't understand how anyone didn't know about this movie.

I guess I live under a rock, it's been about 6 months since I went to the theatre for a movie. Of course I also have a young child at home, so that cramps my movie attendance a bit.

Since Avatar only has Special FX to offer, you might wanna wait for the 3D version.

I disagree, but it sorta comes down to this yes. Much of it's appeal lies in it's expert special effects, which work best in 3D. The 3D effects really add something instead of being just a gimmick. There's an expert sequence where the characters are up incredibly high, and in 3D many people will actually get some vertigo. I did, and I've read reviews of people who had the same.

Edited by TrueNeutral

From all descriptions the story is as cliche, trite, and preachy as it can get mushed up by some lame love story.

I get it. All advanced nations are evil incarnate, and all low tech people are pure innocents. *puke*

Ooooo.. a real life troll.. How droll...

Anyways, movie looks lacklustre but probably will be a fun one to watch largely because James Cameron.. is KING OF THE WORLD. If anyone can make crap turn into sweet flowers it is him.