Just saw Avatar

Humodour

I'm sorry if you feel like I wiped my arse with your flag. Anyway the world's best romantic comedy is a bit like the world's smartest horse.

Annie Hall headbutts you for a critical hit.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I totally would love to see Diane Keaton smashing Paul Reiser's nose in with a headbutt. "Well, la dee da."

Heja Sverige!!

According to Box Office Mojo, Avatar is now the highest grossing film of all time.

Even though it's not the highest amount of tickets sold and the record falls apart when inflation is taken into account, it's still nice to see something knock Titanic off the top spot. It's been there disturbingly long.

It also makes Cameron pretty weird.

Heja Sverige!!

Compare Avatar's and Titanic's numbers to any other commercially successful movie like, say, The Dark Knight or the Harry Potter movies. Cameron's movies absolutely crush everything else.

Heja Sverige!!

Nothing strange about that. He's Hollywood's commercial movies incarnate.

Basically he's mastered the "pure entertainment" film form.

That said, his movies are all the same and quite shallow.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

I think it's weird and wrong that the BBC is going on about how big a success the film is. Sometimes I'd swear they are corrupt.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Don't you feel at least a little sting of disappoinment that Cameron didn't go for dark and gritty sci fi instead of the big sunday family outing film.

While it wasn't as dark as Aliens, I wouldn't call it a family film. I mean besides the violence and alien sex, Ridley is a smoker! That's pretty dark.

Don't you feel at least a little sting of disappoinment that Cameron didn't go for dark and gritty sci fi instead of the big sunday family outing film.

While it wasn't as dark as Aliens, I wouldn't call it a family film. I mean besides the violence and alien sex, Ridley is a smoker! That's pretty dark.

Yes, what a badboy.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Please explain to me how Aliens is the same as Titanic?

I get the point you're making but you're horribly exaggerating it.

They're both crowd pleasers that use cheap trickery to get you emotionally involved, the first a kid and a woman, the second a completely fairytale romance. Add to it sweeping, dramatic music, uncharacteristic length (for hollywood films) used to full effect, intense "action" and you've got the "epic" feel of Cameron's films.

I like his films but he's not showing much desire to do anything else, which is kinda disappointing.

Aliens is a perfect example. A great movie - but far from the artistry of the original.

Ridley Scott can also be accused of following the crowd pleasing formula with Gladiator (which I think is rubbish), but at least he has two artistic masterpieces to fall back on (Alien, Blade Runner).

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Those are pretty poor reasons to call something 'the same' I think. You might as well say Lord of the Rings are Cameron movies just because there are some surface similarities.

Also, I'd wouldn't call a theme of maternity explored through both the human characters and the antagonistic alien race 'cheap trickery'. How is anything that gets an emotional response trickery? You can't fake a feeling.

As for Terminator being his most original premise, didn't he lose a copyright case over it?

Edited by TrueNeutral