British Politics

Walsingham

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/copenhage...y-at-stake.html

Thought i'd start a new thread since we have a handful of chaps here from the UK, like me.

to kick off, do you think Brown can turn around his party's fortunes?

This recent green evangelism seems to me to be a cynical attempt to paint himself as the Green Goddess, gambling that climate nutters may actually feel obliged to back him despite his total balls of everything else.

Note that he is signing us up to a

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

A man who believes you should spend your way out of recession.

Would you vote for him?

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

A carbon Tax that does nothing to save the environment. How does this tax reduce their own carbon emissions? Are people in the UK going to use less petrol and drive less? are they going to use less electricity? Are Transport companies going to use their trucks less? Are importers and exporters going to reduce their imports/exports and use shipping/airfreight companies less and to reduce their reliance on martime and airfreight shipping?

I ask this having voted Labour my whole life, BTW.

But I cannot possibly vote for a party which is sloppy, late to carry out obviously important measures which it had no ideological opposition to - like the bank bailout which every qualified commentator I've read agrees was necessary but weeks overdue. Plus it is almost impossible to imagine a party who could have done LESS to actually win the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. defence secretaries who know nothing about defence, and keep changing. Budgets which keep changing enormously. Feeble political inspiration to the nation or the troops. Attacks on veterans and on the regiments. If I sat down and planned a campaign to render the British military unworkable this would not be a complete list, but it would be on the damn list!

I have a lot of interest in Cameron, but at the same time the grassroots of the Tory party are the same ignorant shower of chintz covered bastards tehy always have been. What can we really expect from them?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I want a government that reintroduces manafacturing, research and design - generally speaking actual real industry. I don't care if it generates less income than inner city financial services (and I would argue this is nonsense anyway), it's bloody depressing having your university physics department close because "physics isn't necessary anymore". As a country we've really lost the plot on what's important, and it's not working 10 years in cramped conditions to retire early having achieved nothing meaninfgul for yourself or the nation or indeed mankind.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

I'm totally with you on the engineering thing Moose. I can't totally explain it, but no good can come from only being third order useful. By which I mean we don't make anything, or even make things from other things, but simply comment on the process.

I suspect we'd also agree that there's a fundamental spiritual benefit in not being a useless t***.

-Elwood Blues

The more I think about it the angrier I get... Either global warming is a mahousive catstrophe, in which case we should ****ing well get our collective finger out and devote big slices of GDP to it, or it isn't anything in which case we shouldn't spend anything on it. Brown spending 1 billion is not enough to avert the catastrophe, but a big ****ing deal of money which could turn around Afghanistan or for that matter a whole British county. Yet again he positions us on the fence, and we get a fence post right up the...

-Elwood Blues

The more I think about it the angrier I get... Either global warming is a mahousive catstrophe, in which case we should ****ing well get our collective finger out and devote big slices of GDP to it, or it isn't anything in which case we shouldn't spend anything on it. Brown spending 1 billion is not enough to avert the catastrophe, but a big ****ing deal of money which could turn around Afghanistan or for that matter a whole British county. Yet again he positions us on the fence, and we get a fence post right up the...

"Creative stagnation" could be New Labour's motto. Unfortunately, the other lot aren't looking much more promising at present.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

"Creative stagnation" could be New Labour's motto. Unfortunately, the other lot aren't looking much more promising at present.

True.

Does anyone else think we're kind of reaping teh whirlwind as far as our attitude to political carrers go. A good friend of mine decided to run as an MP a few years ago and it was like he'd caught cat AIDS so far as social occasions. Everyone started treating him like ****.

-Elwood Blues

True.

Does anyone else think we're kind of reaping teh whirlwind as far as our attitude to political carrers go. A good friend of mine decided to run as an MP a few years ago and it was like he'd caught cat AIDS so far as social occasions. Everyone started treating him like ****.

Partly, yes. But I also think that we have allowed the idea of a political career to develop is partly to blame. But the Commons has also removed a lot of the checks and requirements for accountability that used to keep it rather more constrained, I think, under the guise of democratisation.

We also seem to have a tendency to complain about how unprincipled, vain, and two-faced our politicians are, and then vote them in rather than the few with principles. And I think that probably applies inside Parliament as well. Certainly I think it applies to the case of Ian Duncan-Smith.

I do think we have to take some blame as electorate. I mean can you imagine a company which hired people using the same criteria we use for hiring politicians? Smiling faced goons who whisper sweet nothings on subjects they have no training in?

-Elwood Blues

Hmmm. The Left have taken to environmental politics with great gusto. Ergo, there must be something bogus about it --- what greater reason for ordering us about and taking our money to give to their client groups than "we're saving the planet"?

The Germans always called their Greens 'watermelons', green on the outside but Red in the middle. So, for me, Greens are just commies with a wind turbine fetish.

Only rugged individuals with access to powerful hunting rifles and tinned food can save the planet, after civilization has broken down :aiee:

Can Crash Gordon turn his party around? Er, no. Not that the other lot exactly inspire confidence.

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

You gotta love the heavy snowfall in the south of England on the last day of Copenhagen. At least if there is a God, he has a sense of humour.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

It's not about the environment, it's about totalitarian control, stopping economic progress, and redistributing wealth instead. Now get back in your place!

http://m.guardian.co.uk/?id=102202&sto...define-humanity

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

This thread is about British politics, not crackpot far-right American conspiracy theory.

I'm saying this in advance this time.

Edited by Darth InSidious

• 3 weeks later...
Hey guys, this should titillate you: http://www.weebls-stuff.com/songs/Gordon/

Heh. It's like Gordon's a prisoner who's tunneled his way to freedom for 30 years and now he's got into the light he can't stand it. There are too many noises, and people keep expecting him to answer questions and like make them happy.

-Elwood Blues