Why it's important to stop Al Qaeda

Walsingham

Marines had mortared two men believed to be setting an IED in an area not far away. A villager later presented two dead children at their base, claiming they had been killed by American fire.

But the children, according to those who had seen them or photographs of them, had been shot. The marines said they had information that a local Taliban commander had ordered it, just so that the Americans would be blamed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from...ent/8408202.stm

I know it's from an embedded correspondent, but it tallies with other stories I've heard back from Afghan. Plus the Talibs are widely accepted to throw battery acid on girls who try to attend school, so it's not as if they are exactly anti-child attacks.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm too often surprised by the cruelty of humans.. especially devoted ones (not just religious)

I think it's more important that we kill the root of this evil rather than the manifestation though, as someone else will just take their place.

Fortune favors the bald.

... and what is that root?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Religion.

Religious differences and ideology is one of the key factors in human conflict. Religion is often used as justification for the killing and torturing of "nonbelievers."

Then again, I freely admit I'm biased against religion so take it with a grain of Lot's wife.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Religion.

Religious differences and ideology is one of the key factors in human conflict. Religion is often used as justification for the killing and torturing of "nonbelievers."

Then again, I freely admit I'm biased against religion so take it with a grain of Lot's wife.

South park already covered this.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Well I'm not suppose to tell you guys, but yes, Canada has been behind every major event in modern history for the last century. We all know it, but it's a secret we keep from those fat unworthy americans who don't even know where Canada is.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

"Religion."

Wrong.

The answer is humans. It will always be humans. Good or evil acts, it is the human condition. Religion, money, power, love, hate, wahtever are just excuses.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Religion."

Wrong.

The answer is humans. It will always be humans. Good or evil acts, it is the human condition. Religion, money, power, love, hate, wahtever are just excuses.

This sort of answer simply isn't useful. Yeah, obviously it's people doing crimes, no **** Sherlock, but why do they commit crimes? Why are some places (e.g. Afghanistan) hotbeds of disorder, while others (e.g. the United States) have highly submissive populations?

You can't just go "hurr, people" because people in different places at different times commit crimes in different ways at different levels. Why did people in Spain burn witches and heretics? Well, because the Church and the crown got huge power during the Reconquista, a long religious war where the existing aristocracy (i.e. the muslim magistrates) were all killed off and had their things stolen. The Inquisition allowed the crown to keep killing off "muslims" and stealing their things, thus keeping the status quo in effect.

So why is the Taliban doing this sort of thing? Well, the answer is obvious: they want America out. Their wahhabist bull**** religion has very little to do with this, but Kalthorne is an atheist reactionary it seems, since he blames things that have nothing to do with religion on it.

Singular stories of cruelty are to be found in any conflict, not that I disagree that the Taliban must be stopped. It's just not very fruitful to demonize the enemy to the point where you are nolonger trying to understand his motivations.

I just yesterday read that 30 Danish soldiers have been killed in Afghanistan. I had no idea it was that many. I mean out of a force of a couple of hundred.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Singular stories of cruelty are to be found in any conflict, not that I disagree that the Taliban must be stopped. It's just not very fruitful to demonize the enemy to the point where you are nolonger trying to understand his motivations.
The Taliban's motivations with regards to the American occupation are simple, obvious, and understandable. Their own governmental style and their relationship with terrorism are not the same, and have very little to do with their resistance. Actions like "show corpses of children and say that Americans killed them" have nothing to do with the Taliban's ruling style in 2000.
I just yesterday read that 30 Danish soldiers have been killed in Afghanistan. I had no idea it was that many. I mean out of a force of a couple of hundred.
Good.

There were also stories from Iraq of Al Qaeda putting children into cars wired with explosives to fool guards who wouldn't suspect a family driving a car bomb. And of course Iranians would put plastic keys to heaven on their children and send them to set off minefields. There's no level below which these Islamo-nazis won't stoop, calling them animals is an insult to all animals. It's too bad some people need to be reminded of this over and over.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

There's no level below which these Islamo-nazis won't stoop, calling them animals is an insult to all animals.

Yeah, because there's never been any Christians who did similar things... It's all Islam's fault - that nasty, nasty religion that's so violent and nasty... :yucky:

It's too bad some people need to be reminded of this over and over.

Yeah, because a minority should always been viewed as the majority - even if that's not correct. :p

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

There were also stories from Iraq of Al Qaeda putting children into cars wired with explosives to fool guards who wouldn't suspect a family driving a car bomb. And of course Iranians would put plastic keys to heaven on their children and send them to set off minefields. There's no level below which these Islamo-nazis won't stoop, calling them animals is an insult to all animals. It's too bad some people need to be reminded of this over and over.
Using the term "Islamo-nazis" or "Islamo-fascists" shows that you have no concept of what fascism, Nazism or Islam is. Also, those methods have little to nothing to do with their religion, but rather their desperation and limited resources; at best, you could argue that their religion grants them some inner peace that allows them to do such terrible things with the assurance that they are right, but the same behavior exists in widespread and disparate groups (e.g. Tamil Tigers). Fascism is a complex political philosophy with actual theoretical underpinnings; Wahhabism is just a new shade of religious "fundamentalism," where huge amounts of tradition are ignored or written off in order to inherit a backwards misinterpretation of their holy texts.

Judge a religion's worth by all of its members and history, DN. Personally, I think all the Abrahamic Religions have shown themselves to downright vicious and cruel over the course of history.

Edited by Killian Kalthorne

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Yeah, because there's never been any Christians who did similar things... It's all Islam's fault - that nasty, nasty religion that's so violent and nasty... :p

Indeed! All those vile Christian misdeeds in the past. Its the Jihadi's turn now to go wild! Who are we to get upset about it and call out the negatives? Christians did awful stuff at one time... quite a while back... you know?

The whole blowing kids up and using them as psychological warfare to make the enemy look bad is just showing how much all religions suck.

:yucky:

Judge a religion's worth by all of its members and history, DN.

Sure, I'd agree with that. :yucky:

Personally, I think all the Abrahamic Religions have shown themselves to downright vicious and cruel over the course of history.

I'd also agree with that. Still it's funny how many Christians view Islam as this vile, violent entity while ignoring their own past. :p

The whole blowing kids up and using them as psychological warfare to make the enemy look bad is just showing how much all religions suck.

That is does and that they do (excluding Pastafarianism of course as that's just awesome). :thumbsup:

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Indeed! All those vile Christian misdeeds in the past. Its the Jihadi's turn now to go wild! Who are we to get upset about it and call out the negatives? Christians did awful stuff at one time... quite a while back... you know?

:)

"What's an abortion clinic bombing?" - GreasyDogMeat, 2009

Judge a religion's worth by all of its members and history, DN. Personally, I think all the Abrahamic Religions have shown themselves to downright vicious and cruel over the course of history.

Yep, Mother Theresa was a downright bastard. Those church soup kitchens in my neighborhood are also clearly a breeding ground for horribleness.