Dragon Age discussion

Gorth

For me Dragon Age is undoubtedly the first very replayable Bio game since BG2 and the first for me to actually remember fondly. The plot is nothing to write home about and sometimes the writing suffers from Overseriousitis, but the battles and dungeon crawling are genuinely fun. Bio combat hasn't been *fun* since BG2. That's what I'm here for and I think DA does awesomely.

@Monte Carlo: Thanks for the input.

@Volo: I'll probably regret asking but what the hell is NW:TP?

@Entrerix: Thanks, I'm feeling the love all day today, must be an eclipse or something :p

Good rankings btw

Now I must retreat and ponder all this information

jon-irenicus.jpg

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

I really haven't enjoyed a game this much in a long time. I very much enjoy the strategic planning of which fights and areas to take on. I enjoy the characters in your party. I enjoy the humour. What else is there to say?

I agree. I also agree with Grommy's assessment. I really, really enjoyed most of DA... but the "WTF???" moments were jarring and annoying for me. After Landsmeet the game really started to get on my nerves. Companions and NPC's were doing things in complete opposition to the characters that had been so carefully built throughout the game. One plot twist in particular did more than annoy me. It made me downright angry and I resented the hell out of it.

But overall, it's one of the most replayable and enjoyable games I've ever played. The high points are enough for me to forgive most of the flaws. (A couple of major plot flaws, however, I do not forgive!) Some of the main quests... Broken Circle and Dwarven Tunnels... I really loved. The Redcliffe quest had plot twists and startling endings, depending on how far you'd gotten in the game, that I thought it brilliantly done. I didn't even hate the Dalish quest, although it was the most boring IMHO.

I must say that I spent hours upon hours at "banter" points marching various companion combinations around to hear all the party chatter. Some of it was absolutely hilarious. I've completed two runthroughs, and I still am hearing new stuff!

Overall, a brilliant game. I'd give it a solid 90 out of 100.

So where does it rate in the Bioware scale of things if its like zis:

BGII/ToB/BG>KOTOR>Jade Empire>Mass Effect>NWN

DA>ME>KOTOR>BG2>JE>BG>NWN.

Just get it so you can hate on it. :)

Thanks, I'm feeling the love all day today, must be an eclipse or something

Indeed. :)

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

So where was this stated in the DLC? I found the

letter explaining the alliance with the Orlesian empire...but where did you find info on him wanting to kick Anora out, having an affair with Celene and Anora being barren?

-J

You messages me about this. I don't have Return to Ostigar. Right now the only customers that do are those who D/L it off X-Box Live while it was available. I'm going by the conversation in the spoiler forums.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

The game felt like it was made for human noble origin. Every other origin except for dwarf casteless, sorry commoner, felt glued on as an after thought. The heir that was kicked out a month or so ago returns after dad's death (Dwarf Noble), where are the political factions that want to use me as a puppet head? Playing as untermensh (Elf) where every other elf in the settlement is a slave or laborer and no one notices my race behind the neon signb that says Grey Warden?

Don't get me wrong the game is still a solid 8 to 8.5 with its combat (which only had 1 big flaw, why the hell can't I say stay put to single char instead of party wide orders?) backstory, char system (even with tons of uncertanities and flaws thet come with being the untested) but it could have been a much much fullfilling experience if Non-Human parts of the game were given the same amount of work, alternative questlines for origins were presented (Being a dorf or an elf should have resulted in similar but different questlines in their respective areas)

Also the grindfest sections (tunnels and some of the fights after the landsmeet) could have been handled better with some cutscene moments, vistas, little puzzles mixed with the fights to break the monotomy of those areas.

As I said, it is a solid and enjoyable game but it has its own legion of flaws.

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

I played through all the openings, only finished one game all the way as mage. Dwarf definately had the most promise. Didn't care much about Sir whatshisname's fate, and would hardly have used the urn of sacred ashes on him if given a choice, but honestly there were quite a few NPCs who provoked nothing but indifference.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

So where does it rate in the Bioware scale of things if its like zis:

BGII/ToB/BG>KOTOR>Jade Empire>Mass Effect>NWN

DA>ME>KOTOR>BG2>JE>BG>NWN.

Just get it so you can hate on it. :woot:

Thanks, I'm feeling the love all day today, must be an eclipse or something

Indeed. 8)

ME2 (you heard it hear first folks!) > DA > ME > NWN (as a package) > JE > BG2 > BG > KotOR > Sonic

manthing2.jpg

So I took a break after 3 playthroughs, I think I'll fire it up again for a solo playthrough. I'm thinking a Rogue Archer on Hard. Of course, the quandary is I can't use that for the expansion, but I'll work that out later. I'm usually a fan of DEX over CUN just because that's what the voices in my head say, so maybe Shattering Shot and Combat Stealth first, and gradually get Arrow of Slaying.

So I took a break after 3 playthroughs, I think I'll fire it up again for a solo playthrough. I'm thinking a Rogue Archer on Hard. Of course, the quandary is I can't use that for the expansion, but I'll work that out later. I'm usually a fan of DEX over CUN just because that's what the voices in my head say, so maybe Shattering Shot and Combat Stealth first, and gradually get Arrow of Slaying.

No, don't do that.

Now it's time to play Witcher. It's perfect for a DA hiatus. :woot:

manthing2.jpg

DEX seems to be the way to go for a solo run. With Dalish leather armour & 50+ DEX your defense is so high that you'll never get hit anymore.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Back on topic gais.

I find DA is quite replayable, though not as much as the BG series. There's decent scope for building different types of characters, there are challenging battles, there's fun loot and pretty good balance throughout the game. I'll probabyl do this, go through Awakening, then shelve the game.

I've played through it twice and enjoyed it immensely both times.

It was a great throwback to the IE days and like Wals mentioned, I pretty much enjoyed everything from the combat to the humor.

The only major disappointment I had was that towards the end, everything came to a close rather too quickly. I would have liked a more extended Denerim sequence, with more major quests leading up to the Landsmeet. Kind of like the first BG, exploring the sword coast before you even got to the city took a long enjoyable time, but the moment I entered the city itself, it felt like an entirely new and large portion of the game had just opened up.

A longer Landsmeet would have been fun too, like the NWN2 court sequence.

But I did like the number of outcomes that are possible by the end.

All in all a great game and look forward to awakenings.

It's pretty disappointing how according to the game's Codex during the final battle with the Archdemon during the First Blight, 1/3 of Thedas' armies went down the drain... but at the end of DA, the Archdemon is just one big pansy that gets owned by one ballista & 50 Dwarves.

The Darkspawn should've maybe woken up another Archdemon or two to spice things up a bit more. One more Archdemon that spouts green flames & other one that spouts orange flames... I hate purple.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

It's pretty disappointing how according to the game's Codex during the final battle with the Archdemon during the First Blight, 1/3 of Thedas' armies went down the drain... but at the end of DA, the Archdemon is just one big pansy that gets owned by one ballista & 50 Dwarves.

The Darkspawn should've maybe woken up another Archdemon or two to spice things up a bit more. One more Archdemon that spouts green flames & other one that spouts orange flames... I hate purple.

Yeah. Killing Archie was about as rewarding as fighting Grolms in tunnels. Or dating a Welsh chick.

manthing2.jpg

The 'this game is easier than BG (2)' department called me and told me that I really should know by now whether the purple flames are just QT graphics, or if it actually hits with some other damage type than fire... but I haven't had to find out. :lol:

But I agree, archie was kind of a letdown in the villain department. No Sarevok, Irenicus or Darth Malak - hell, not really even Melissan or that dude from Jade Empire I forget, for sure. :)

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

As far as bad guys go I think Loghain was at least better then Malak even if the Arch demon wasn't anything but a random dragon to kill at the end. Something I noticed lately though when I tried more and more origins is that no one in this game gives me a good reason for why I want to save them. Most people I liked at some point turns out to be jerks when I try a different origin :lol:

Knight-Commander Greagoir being the latest one that I liked until I did the mage origin. Now I wish I could shoot a fireball in his face as soon as I see him. :)

I think Dragon Age's greatest flaw is creating a good motivation for why people want to take up the duty of the Wardens. The people are extremely bad at giving me reasons to care about saving them and few origins make me think I owe Duncan anything for taking advantage of my characters situation and forcefully recruit me if he have to.

Edited by zazei