Dragon Age discussion

Gorth

Wasn't there a reference in the game about Loghain knowing something? At least there was a rumour about it, but a lot of the rumours weren't credible. Anyway, that should've been known to every player as it would've made a lot more sense, and also the portrayal of Loghaine should've been a lot different, like why is he

selling elves into slavery

when in The Stolen Throne he was a great friend of the elves? Damn the DLC, they're just sectioning games off into segments, like everyone was afraid of.

I find it hard to believe that Cailan would have an affair with the Empress of Orlais, of all people. How would they even be able to meet, with Anora & Loghain holding his strings? If Loghain knew about it, he would've probably personally have killed Cailan considering his hatred for anything Orlais.

Ah well. At least it alleviates Cailan a little bit from the complete buffoon that he is in the vanilla game.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

"Anyway, that should've been known to every player as it would've made a lot more sense,"

While I think it was silly to do this for a DLC, I also thinjk this line of thinking is nmonsencial. No, every player shoudlnt'

know this. It's called C&C. Soemtimes, it's a need to know basis. Why would any of the aprticipants in the affair circle feel the need to tell the PC about it except in the example of Anora above.

Why do people want to be forcefed everything?

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Damn the DLC, they're just sectioning games off into segments, like everyone was afraid of.

I recall David talking about slamming his head into the wall in regards to the amount of cut content. Dragon Age was developed over six years and went through three executive producers. I think Mike Lawlaid was brought in with the directive to just get the game out the door.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Wasn't there a reference in the game about Loghain knowing something? At least there was a rumour about it, but a lot of the rumours weren't credible. Anyway, that should've been known to every player as it would've made a lot more sense, and also the portrayal of Loghaine should've been a lot different, like why is he

selling elves into slavery

when in The Stolen Throne he was a great friend of the elves? Damn the DLC, they're just sectioning games off into segments, like everyone was afraid of.

I find it hard to believe that Cailan would have an affair with the Empress of Orlais, of all people. How would they even be able to meet, with Anora & Loghain holding his strings? If Loghain knew about it, he would've probably personally have killed Cailan considering his hatred for anything Orlais.

Ah well. At least it alleviates Cailan a little bit from the complete buffoon that he is in the vanilla game.

Not to put to fine a point on it, but...

Loghain DID kill Cailan... at least the fear of his daughter losing the throne, and him losing his power, with an alliance to the hated Orlaisians

gives me a more acceptable motive for what happed at Ostagar than the one I'm left with now... which frankly was never really clear.

Edited by ~Di

Heck if I know.

A big spoiler about what happened at Ostigar and why it happened then is in the DLC though:

Turns out Calian was considering kicking Anora to the curb as he believed she was barren, and marrying the Empress Celene I of Orlais, with whom he was having an affair. This would likely lead Ferelden to become part of the Orlesian empire.

So where was this stated in the DLC? I found the

letter explaining the alliance with the Orlesian empire...but where did you find info on him wanting to kick Anora out, having an affair with Celene and Anora being barren?

-J

What happened with this game?

My buddies who all like Bioware games, (even the ones I hate) are saying the game is underwhelming, boring etc etc.

The major complaints are:

*the main quest is crap

*theres too much travelling in "tunnel like" areas where there's only grinding

*the story doesn't make sense (don't know the particulars)

*the level scaling doesn't work well

*the game is full of bugs (one friend had to pull the console down and fix something??)

*the ending is meh

Overall its the first game that got no recommendations from anyone, and that's from people who wholeheartedly recommend ME...

On the other hand the reviewers are saying its the second coming.

So what is it?

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

*the main quest is crap

"Crap" is probably too strong a word. It's not the kind of main story that keeps you playing through gameplay you don't enjoy, but if you're generally having fun with the game, it's adequate. Fairly typical for a fantasy game, and not unlike the BGs in this respect.

Parts of the game do get grindy. But those are also the parts with the most interesting and fun boss fights, so the grind is rewarded, somewhat.

See my first point, above. Not the most logical story in the world, but I don't see how someone who liked, say, BG1 or ME could object on these grounds.

There were some fights (usually random encounters) where the game tended to throw the party in over its head. Tough, but nothing that couldn't be resolved by messing with the difficulty slider. Also, since I've played it, some of the patch notes claim to have adjusted this.

*the game is full of bugs (one friend had to pull the console down and fix something??)

I can only speak about my experience, which has been pretty clean, bug-wise. Most of what I've seen reported has been DLC-related.

*the ending is meh

True, unless you're really into one of the handful of characters who are most involved in the plot resolution. (I was not.)

They are ordered in more or less the way the novelty of Bio games wore off for me.

Its not really easy to prove that any one of the middle three is substantially better or worse than the others, but they get the BGII wannabe achievement :lol: .

If DA doesn't pwn them all and reach BG levels of excellence, which was the general hype behind the game then I'll just settle down for being

bored-299x300.jpg

Until I can resume killing my brain cells with the replicant Shepard.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

What happened with this game?

My buddies who all like Bioware games, (even the ones I hate) are saying the game is underwhelming, boring etc etc.

The major complaints are:

*the main quest is crap

*the ending is meh

Overall its the first game that got no recommendations from anyone, and that's from people who wholeheartedly recommend ME...

On the other hand the reviewers are saying its the second coming.

So what is it?

hmmmm

the main quest were hit & miss as is typical o' most bioware games. there were a few "wtf" moments for Gromnir; some quest resolutions either felt incomplete or just plain wrong. nevertheless, for the most part, we didn't feel as if the main quest were noteworthy for its crapulance.

there were genuine only one portion o' the game that made us feel as if we were playing some kinda diablo-clone exp grind, and ironically, as much as we loathed the repetitive darkspapwn swarms (in tunnels), the dwarfy stuff were our favorite portion o' the game. but yeah, if the combat (in tunnels) had been differentiated a bit more, then we suspect that we woulda' liked the dwarf portion to an even greater degree.

the story makes sense, but some characters behave... strangely. those wtf moments we reference earlier were far too common and most were related to our inability to accept the behavior o' key party and non-party npcs; it makes us wonder how the biowarians edit their writing. am aware that canadians is a polite people, so perhaps they is too courteous to tell fellow writers that a story or character has as many holes as a vol argument.

level scaling was... odd. is our understanding that most portions o' game didn't utilize level scale. however, the aforementioned tunnels supposed had scale. likewise, Gromnir is certain that the denerim thugs scaled. additionally, at least a few random encounters scaled. the scale in the tunnels and the back alleys o' denerim were tuned a bit higher than Gromnir believed were appropriate, but even so, there simply weren't that much scale in the game.

given the size o' the game, Gromnir experienced very few noticeable bugs. however, as the rules/game mechanics is hidden from Gromnir, there ain't no way for Gromnir to identify if some peculiarities were the result o' bad design or bugs. the most common bugs in d&d games is simple data entry mistakes: fire balls do wrong damage, charm spell has faulty duration, flamberge o' unholy darkness does lightning damage 'stead of cold, etc. is no way to check such stuff in DA. that being said, it sounds as if the DLC resulted in more bugs for people than were evident in the core game. go figure.

the end were meh... sorta. the denouement were handled okie dokie, but the climax, and the couple hours of gameplay leading up to the climax, sucked.

however, in spite of its Many flaws, Gromnir enjoyed da very much. we played through the entirety o' the game in a short period o' time, a task which required more than a few marathon sessions ending 'round 2:30 am. and while we did not manage a second complete playthrough, but that were 'cause o' rl concerns and responsibilities. am gonna concede that we were disappointed with the impact (non-impact) o' the origins later in the game, and we loathe da's hidden and seeming counter-intuitive rules/mechanics. even so, we do not regret the purchase and play of da... not one bit.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"Anyway, that should've been known to every player as it would've made a lot more sense,"

While I think it was silly to do this for a DLC, I also thinjk this line of thinking is nmonsencial. No, every player shoudlnt'

know this. It's called C&C.

Why do people want to be forcefed everything?

I'm not against discovering extra content, but the main plot should make sense to everybody, and as of now it doesn't.

So where does it rate in the Bioware scale of things if its like zis:

BGII/ToB/BG>KOTOR>Jade Empire>Mass Effect>NWN

Of the games I played, and I'll throw NWN2 in here, KOTOR>JE>NWN2>>DAO>ME

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Welcome back Gromnir, good post.

I didn't doubt DA's value for money as far as longevity is concerned. My doubts were on the merits of its storyline as well as some questionable choices on part of the Bioware team to indulge requests of certain obnoxious groups in the community.

Especially the former however.

How do you judge the atmoshpere of the gameworld in general?

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

I've been whining about DA a lot in here, so it's better I save my breath and the nerves of other obsidianites.

But I say this: The little I know you boo from your posts here, I would be genuinely surprised if you would like DA-O.

I really haven't enjoyed a game this much in a long time. I very much enjoy the strategic planning of which fights and areas to take on. I enjoy the characters in your party. I enjoy the humour. What else is there to say?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Welcome back Gromnir, good post.

I didn't doubt DA's value for money as far as longevity is concerned. My doubts were on the merits of its storyline as well as some questionable choices on part of the Bioware team to indulge requests of certain obnoxious groups in the community.

Especially the former however.

How do you judge the atmoshpere of the gameworld in general?

you gots a fully realized fantasy setting with political and religious factions that is intriguing if not genuine compelling. am not certain that "dark & gritty" is an applicable or appropriate descriptor, but there is some portions and aspects that is, at the very least, darkER than previous bio games.

is standard fantasy with some minor horror aspects thrown into the mix... is no aspect of the gameworld that amazed Gromnir. on the other hand, after we had finished playing we were curious 'bout, and had anticipation regarding, locales and peoples that were described only briefly during the course o' the game. the fact that we finished the game hungry to uncover more o' the world map in future da games is, in our humble estimation, a good sign.

is not all that original or dark or... anything.

HA! Good Fun!

ps didn't like da elves. implementation were too schizophrenic, particularly the dahlish. the writers demanded that we sympathize with elves. the writers wanted us to see the dahlish as a proud people. *snort* one of the dahlish quest is to aid or hinder a timid and impotent hunter in winning the heart of a fair maiden. developers gots a handful of characters and quests to develop the Character o' the dhalish, and they waste resources on a banal and vapid little teen romance scenario? am having a hard time sympathizing with the Biowarins regarding material cut from da if they consciously chose to save such trite and inane piffle as we saw in the dahlish portion of the game.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

But I say this: The little I know you boo from your posts here, I would be genuinely surprised if you would like DA-O.

I'm just collecting opinions, I very much doubt I'd be thrilled about DA-O though I would probably play through it once, much like KOTOR, ME, Jade etc...

logosig2.jpg

^ It's a genuinely good, if not flawed, CRPG. I'm in broad agreement with Gromnir.

Bio keeps up it's unique power to create genuinely irritating NPCs of little or no merit, and the game mechanics were possibly created during a marathon caffeine-and-sugar fuelled brainstorming session, but you can have fun building a character. It's also, like every system, open to amusing min / maxing and twinky munchkin abuse. Not that it's a bad thing.

It's party-based --- the bigger battles genuinely make you think. There is lots of fighting in tunnels, a rip-off of my unique CRPG ruleset but I've a heart the size of a big thing inflated with helium so I'll let that one go. The fighting in tunnels is my favourite part of the game.

It also has a confusing currency system and an in-world economic scene where a backpack costs the same as a small castle with hot and cold running water.

Buy it, I suspect you'll have a laugh with it, possibly more than you thought.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'm just collecting opinions, I very much doubt I'd be thrilled about DA-O though I would probably play through it once, much like KOTOR, ME, Jade etc...

I would be happy to sell my digital deluxe edition if that would be possible with steam. I was VERY fed up with it in the end. If the song that played in end credits wouldn't have been so good, I think I would have drilled a new doorway through a stone wall using my head :wowey:

And I like your signature.

I would be happy to sell my digital deluxe edition if that would be possible with steam. I was VERY fed up with it in the end. If the song that played in end credits wouldn't have been so good, I think I would have drilled a new doorway through a stone wall using my head :lol:

And I like your signature.

Buy the collectors edition and show your dislike by selling it to me for a bargain bin price :wowey:

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

I have great respect for boo's taste in games (though his horizons i *think* are more limited than my own), i expect he'll like it a tad more than kotor and a fair bit less than the witcher.

i myself liked it more than the witcher, and about as much as kotor 2

here for reference is my ranking of crpgs: (these change order sometimes depending on my mood and nostalgia factor) (also, anyone can search if they care, i once posted my all time favorite games list somewhere, though i think i might have left homeworld off it)

1. fallout

2. torment

3. fallout 2

4. baldurs gate1/2

5. dragon age

6. kotor 2

7. witcher

8. mass effect

9. nwn2

10.nwn

etcetc

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.