A question about future hardware needs for New Vegas...

fortheforum

I'm a PC user and getting ready to upgrade my computer, but was wondering if Obsidian would give us a heads up on what hardware they are developing the game around? Processor, memory, video graphics and all those important things...

I would hate to spend a fortune now and end up having to run the game on low settings, or have to upgrade again next year!

Wait a second, I go get my crystal ball.

crystal_ball2_bmwPreview.jpg

It says you need a pc somewhere between 286 and HAL 9000 to play New Vegas.

Seriously though, I don't think anyone can say what are the requirements for NV at this point. I guess it would be somewhat safe to say that if you get a pc that can play F3 with highest settings, you can play NV atleast with medium settings. Don't sweat over it, just get a good pc and you will be fine.

Seriously though, I don't think anyone can say what are the requirements for NV at this point. I guess it would be somewhat safe to say that if you get a pc that can play F3 with highest settings, you can play NV atleast with medium settings. Don't sweat over it, just get a good pc and you will be fine.

I don't think it's mystic science or anything. I could be wrong, but they have to develop the game on a PC around certain performance criteria. I'm guessing they have the best video gear available, so they should be able to tell us what the performance criteria would be. I want to play it on high settings anyway, may as well have a console with the lower end stuff.

If you could play Fallout 3 with your computer then you can play Fallout: New Vegas.

How do you know this to be true?

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_FAQ

Will it use the Fallout 3 engine?

Yes. J.E. Sawyer says:

We have the GECK as well as all art source and code source. We coordinate the viability of any given addition/change with Bethesda since they have a decade-ish of experience with the technology base.

Will it use the Fallout 3 engine?

Yes. J.E. Sawyer says:

We have the GECK as well as all art source and code source. We coordinate the viability of any given addition/change with Bethesda since they have a decade-ish of experience with the technology base.

If you could play Fallout 3 with your computer then you can play Fallout: New Vegas.

Meh. There

Meh. There

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

There was an improvement in graphics on the PS2...so there was no reason to develop the PS3 then? The hardware doesn't matter, right?

I. Never. Said. That.

God I hate internet debates. And since you seem to want one, I

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Hey guys, let's be a little friendly here all right, it's a legit question!

Not being a developer I can't say how the game will be, by my money is on that if you can run F3 you'll be able to run NV without much difficulty.

Fortune favors the bald.

So why not just buy the latest Radeon 5870 and an Core i7 and be done with it?

Because that would be too easy and wouldn't give you any chance to argue on the internet. New Vegas won't magically have Crysis level recommended specs. The graphics will likely be improved, but I wouldn't expect anything too drastic.

The easy solution of course, if one is this worried about how a game will play 2 years from now, is to buy a cheap upgrade to get one through for the moment, continue to save money, then build a new system 2 years for the desired game, with all the current bells and whistles.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts