What you did today

Gorth

I braved the near -40 weather to do my christmas shopping today. Despite the cold, it seems like everyone else was, too. Now I'm going to go see if I can sweet talk the missus into wrapping all this crap for me.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

losing track of what day it is

too many days of getting home at 5am then getting up at 7am for work

last night was fun though

saw a friend's band play and was greatly amused by the drummer. she was really enthusiastic and was singing along with a big grin on her face the whole time. i ended up meeting her afterwards and chatting for a bit

then went off to another friend's flatwarming. lots of people there and had heaps of fun

oh, and the entire night i was wearing a purple silk pirate shirt hehe

got walked home by a few friends and one of them came and crashed in bed with me so she could make sure i got up for work

was looking forward to going straight home to bed after work, but now i've been reminded i'm supposed to be going to a xmas dinner with people :)

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Just finished the batter for a batch of some very ginger-laden sugar cookies. It gets a night in the fridge before cutting and baking tomorrow. I'll also be making some chocolate-dipped coconut meringues.

And then some beef stew.

Chocolate and yogurt covered raisins make a great snack between bouts of raking the yard. I can almost see the actual grass and cement patio, now.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

One of my aunt's pipes broke last night so we shut her water down. Today we tried saudering the break but it wouldn't hold so we just cut it and capped the thing. We'll leave it until Spring and when it warms up we'll repair it.

It also snowed finally, but not much, and it didn't stick. Too bad. I like snow.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

I feel like I'm coming down with something. Definitely not good.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

I've been spending a lot of time with one of my exes. And as usual, having a woman around who laughs at all my jokes, smiles at me, and brings me beer is making me paranoid. She's clearly intending to steal my kidneys to sell on the black market.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I've been spending a lot of time with one of my exes. And as usual, having a woman around who laughs at all my jokes, smiles at me, and brings me beer is making me paranoid. She's clearly intending to steal my kidneys to sell on the black market.

keeper :)

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

I feel dead. Weeks of getting up at six to proceed to commute for two hours, work for eight hours and commute for two hours again is taking it's toll, especially with busy weekends.

Thankfully I was rather alive last friday, when me and my ladyfriend celebrated our third anniversary. :)

Making plans to see James Cameron's Avatar this friday. I'm pumped! :p

Work is not interesting enough. I'mma go browse TVTropes instead.

Edited by TrueNeutral

I'm fully recovered from a party I hosted Saturday, today I have to go to another one, friday there's a big party and Saturday I'm hosting yet another one - then the grand finale on monday the 21th with over 40 people coming for dinner.. I must be inspired by Shryke or something. :p

Fortune favors the bald.

Did you know that dwarf hamsters can climb cage bars & ceilings w/their itty bitty paws like tiny, stumpy monkeys?

I didn't either. It's pretty funny.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Deply touched, and hugely surprised to discover a work acquaintance sent me a note saying how I had cheered him up, and made him look forward to the new year, with a simple phone call. Yet again, I amazed and pleased to note how a tiny amount of kindness can have a disproportionate impact.

A lesson for the Christmas period, I think.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Wow, those ginger cookies I made yesterday are good. The plan was to ship them to my family (as the wife and I will be visiting the in-laws this x-mas), but that plan is in serious jeopardy.

They're essentially a basic butter cookie (the "creaming" method). But with dark brown sugar (plus a tbs. of molasses) in place of the regular sugar, with 2 tbs. of dry ground ginger added to the flour, and with 1/4 cup of finely chopped candied ginger added after the batter is assembled. Soft, moist, sweet, but with a lovely spicy kick in the teeth from the assertive flavor of the ginger. Pairs well with a nice hoppy pale ale.

Wow, those ginger cookies I made yesterday are good. The plan was to ship them to my family (as the wife and I will be visiting the in-laws this x-mas), but that plan is in serious jeopardy.

They're essentially a basic butter cookie (the "creaming" method). But with dark brown sugar (plus a tbs. of molasses) in place of the regular sugar, with 2 tbs. of dry ground ginger added to the flour, and with 1/4 cup of finely chopped candied ginger added after the batter is assembled. Soft, moist, sweet, but with a lovely spicy kick in the teeth from the assertive flavor of the ginger. Pairs well with a nice hoppy pale ale.

I can see them working with a good ale, but what do you mean 'creaming'?

-Elwood Blues

It's one of the standard methods for preparing baked goods. In recipes, "to cream" basically means to smack the crap out of something in your stand mixer for a while. The method is to "cream" your fat (usu. butter), then add sugar and cream that some more. Then you add the eggs, and eventually your dry stuff and any additional liquid to finish the batter. Explanatory link. Old-fashioned baking recipes would sometimes just be a list of ingredients, followed by "creaming method."

Edited by Enoch

It's one of the standard methods for preparing baked goods. In recipes, "to cream" basically means to smack the crap out of something in your stand mixer for a while. The method is to "cream" your fat (usu. butter), then add sugar and cream that some more. Then you add the eggs, and eventually your dry stuff and any additional liquid to finish the batter. Explanatory link. Old-fashioned baking recipes would sometimes just be a list of ingredients, followed by "creaming method."

Thanks for explaining.

-Elwood Blues

One of my customers project managers gave me a christmas present today. It's an eight year old bottle of Bookers small batch bourbon. I'm having a little on ice right now. Very nice. Once you start drining the good stuff you never go back to the same ole same ole (namely Jack Daniels, Jim Beam et al).

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Stared for 15 mins. at the leaked 380 performance numbers. Holy ****. I also studied for my exams. >_< Seriously, why in the **** do I care Salinger though about American society?

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

One of my customers project managers gave me a christmas present today. It's an eight year old bottle of Bookers small batch bourbon. I'm having a little on ice right now. Very nice. Once you start drining the good stuff you never go back to the same ole same ole (namely Jack Daniels, Jim Beam et al).

i agree, good bourbon will lead you away from the standards quickly. i like maker's mark.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I agree with regard to the whiskey. However, there are some values to be found. For example, Jim Beam's Rye is pretty good, and usually only about $10 for 750 mL. And the Wild Turkey Rye (at about twice that price) is as good as any I've had. Straight Rye Whiskey is the only way to make a classic Manhattan.

For sipping, I prefer the Old World stuff.

i heard a story once: wild turkey is actually a competition held every year, and the distiller that gets the best result wins production for the following year. in other words, wild turkey is a company with a recipe, and there is no one distillery for their product.

oops, just checked. the wonder of the web... it is distilled in KY by the campari group (as of 2009).

taks

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.

I spent the entire day in my office with the door closed playing Baldur's Gate on my laptop. If anyone looked in my window, I appeared to be so hard at work that no one bothered me all day. But then, we are all just running out the clock intil next year.

On that note, if you have not played Baldur's Gate with Tutu and the NPC pack, then you have not played it at all. Give it a look, you'll thank me.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell