What you did today

Gorth

i don't miss that. :)

taks

Ditto, you never really had a free weekend while you were studying, mentally speaking. There was always a project/exam/task that you had to plan for the next week. Of course you always made things worse by doing "lets have a couple of beers and see what happens" 1-2 times a week.

Don't get me on doing a Master's thesis while working. Avoid, avoid, avoid. I have a friend that started to do his PhD 3,5 years ago. Then he got married. Then they got an apartment. Then they had a child. Thankfully, those who grant his scholarship understands that things might go a bit slow when a lot is going on in your personal life and they are still funding him. But still...

I bought a car today. It's a 1969 Camaro RS. It's in pretty bad shape. Engine and transmission are shot, interior looks like hell but the body and drivetrain are in great shape. This is going to be so cool once it restored. I had to tow it here, but I'm so excited I can hardly sit still.

Get the hell outta here! Now i am getting really envious :shifty:

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Don't get me on doing a Master's thesis while working. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

Doing it now, it's not that bad. Depends on your job, though, and uh, you can't really do a lot much else with your life.

Ohh and watch your computer(s) ant's are attracted by the vibrations given off by by electrical machinery. Might want to get the cases off the floor at least.

Yeah, I wondered why I kept getting rogue ant journeymen near the laptop. At least I don't have a desktop case.

be thankful they aren't fire ants. besides the obvious problems those buggers cause*, in my experience they are even harder to get rid of than other ants.

fire ants are terrible, and as you say a lot more tenacious. But then you have varieties in warmer climates that can reduce your shoes to dust in minutes.

i have done bugger all for the past few days

today after work though i shall be seeing a friend who's been away for a few months, and then going to another friend's art exhibition, and then to a party

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Writing a research proposal for my BA subject in English Philology, about contemporary views on immigration in the US during the 20's, particularly the pre-depression immigration scare, Yellow Peril, post-war depression etc, influencing H. P. Lovecraft, particularly the short story The Horror at Red Hook, which I'll using as a primary source. Bibliography is very tentative right now, but I'll be using at least this one and that one. Naturally I also have my good old Necronomicon Collection for quick reference.

Now if there just were moar articles bordering the subject, there's a fair amount of partying to be done between these wee hours and the Friday night proposal deadline...

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Writing a research proposal for my BA subject in English Philology, about contemporary views on immigration in the US during the 20's, particularly the pre-depression immigration scare, Yellow Peril, post-war depression etc, influencing H. P. Lovecraft, particularly the short story The Horror at Red Hook, which I'll using as a primary source. Bibliography is very tentative right now, but I'll be using at least this one and that one. Naturally I also have my good old Necronomicon Collection for quick reference.

Now if there just were moar articles bordering the subject, there's a fair amount of partying to be done between these wee hours and the Friday night proposal deadline...

I have actually read "The Horror at Red Hook". It lacked suspense compared to other novels that he wrote. Simply rubbish since most of the story was about telling have bad different races were, namely:

- Dutch: Oppurtunistic and no culture, simply lived to do business

- Blacks: Ugly savages

- Arabs: Ugly savages

- Kurds: Satanists

- Syrians: Just evil

- Italians, spaniards, greeks: No direct reference, except for neighbourhoods go bad where ever they move in.

There was a some murder mystery, but it was in the background.

Lovecraft was a huuuuge anglophile, btw.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I just experienced the worst kind of weather so far in this winter: -20 Celsius, with stormy winds.

We have had -30 C earlier, but there was no wind then, as it should be. That weather was actually doable, albeit annoying. This cold however, was so piercing through the skin that it felt like your spine was going to crack.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I have actually read "The Horror at Red Hook". It lacked suspense compared to other novels that he wrote. Simply rubbish since most of the story was about telling have bad different races were, namely:

- Italians, spaniards, greeks: No direct reference, except for neighbourhoods go bad where ever they move in.

Thanks for the input, but I know. Lovecraft himself wrote later in his memoirs that he considered the piece lacklustre and full of vitriol. But that's the point, that's hy it's so tasty to analyze. You'd be surprised how much of that percieved racial hate was just a product of the times, not a majority opinion, but there was a widespread acceptance in that America that foreign races, particularly Slavs and Asians were inferior as a race and deserve to be treated unjustly. Hell, when the Johnson-Reed Act went active in '24 (IIRC), some of the European countries got so minuscule immigration "slots"(percentage of new immigrants per country based on the 1890 census of all things) that tens of thousands of people were practically stranded in fascist Europe. I found a source that guesstimated that for instance over 300 000 European Jews that got screwed over by the Act were three hundred thousand Jews that later found themselves in concentration camps. It wasn't easy to get to Latin America, immigration required serious money, something that the congress who moaned over "the Polish ghettos emptying themselves into America" never really got. Penniless peasents did not get to immigrate.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Thanks for the input, but I know. Lovecraft himself wrote later in his memoirs that he considered the piece lacklustre and full of vitriol. But that's the point, that's hy it's so tasty to analyze. You'd be surprised how much of that percieved racial hate was just a product of the times, not a majority opinion, but there was a widespread acceptance in that America that foreign races, particularly Slavs and Asians were inferior as a race and deserve to be treated unjustly. Hell, when the Johnson-Reed Act went active in '24 (IIRC), some of the European countries got so minuscule immigration "slots"(percentage of new immigrants per country based on the 1890 census of all things) that tens of thousands of people were practically stranded in fascist Europe. I found a source that guesstimated that for instance over 300 000 European Jews that got screwed over by the Act were three hundred thousand Jews that later found themselves in concentration camps. It wasn't easy to get to Latin America, immigration required serious money, something that the congress who moaned over "the Polish ghettos emptying themselves into America" never really got. Penniless peasents did not get to immigrate.

Good point. But you forgot the Irish :lol:

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I just type "crazy drunk soul diva" into Google because I coudn't remember the name of Amy Winehouse. To my surprise Mariah Carey came out ahead. WTF? Surely she would be more appropriate to "Talentless wannabe boob singer" *checks* aparently Google claims this means either Emma Roberts (who?) or Peaches Geldof (whuh?) or Jacqui Smith (ROFL).

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Beats me. They've apparently written a few books about the nomer and arguments for its use instead of plain "English". I just breezed through the linguistics and grammar parts of the mastership so I could study literature.

Edit: As you can no doubt verify from the vast excellence I hold over the finer points of syntax and parts of speech.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

I just type "crazy drunk soul diva" into Google because I coudn't remember the name of Amy Winehouse. To my surprise Mariah Carey came out ahead. WTF? Surely she would be more appropriate to "Talentless wannabe boob singer" *checks* aparently Google claims this means either Emma Roberts (who?) or Peaches Geldof (whuh?) or Jacqui Smith (ROFL).

I'm not sure why Mariah Carey would be considered a talentless singer. She can hit some pretty amazing notes on a regular basis.

I would agree with the crazy drunk boob singer moniker though.

Well, I maxed out my Visa today buying tools, a winch, and other accessroies. I also found a 1971 Corvette in a scrap yard in Birmingham with an L-48 small block 350 engine. I'm going down to see if it is in as good shape as I've been led to believe, it is that engine is mine! I also bought a Rochester 4 brl Carb and a rebuild kit for the transmission. It's been a long time since I've done any serious automotive work, not since I was a teenager. But I gotta tell you, I am loving this. I haven't been this jazzed up about anything in years. I spent two hours today moving it into the barn and removing the front end and radiator.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm walking! I started last night, it's nice to be off the crutches. I go to get X-Rays next Wednesday, so technically I'm not really supposed to walk, but it has been 5 1/2 weeks and my leg feels great. I'm slow, my ankle and knee are stiff, but it's wonderful to have my hands free to carry stuff again. First thing I did was rearrange my classroom.

I'm not sure why Mariah Carey would be considered a talentless singer. She can hit some pretty amazing notes on a regular basis.

Yeah, I think of her kind of like I do of Kenny G: Clearly gifted technically, but having no taste whatsoever.

I'm walking! I started last night, it's nice to be off the crutches. I go to get X-Rays next Wednesday, so technically I'm not really supposed to walk, but it has been 5 1/2 weeks and my leg feels great. I'm slow, my ankle and knee are stiff, but it's wonderful to have my hands free to carry stuff again. First thing I did was rearrange my classroom.

I'm suprised they waited so long. They wanted me up and walking 10 days after surgery. Not much but still. Congrats, I remember how good that felt.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

so yesterday's plans didn't quite go according to plan

didn't go to the exhibition and didn't meet up with the friend who's been away

instead i saw the girl from guy fawke's again

we went to the park and chilled out in the sun, then wandered down some alleyway and found bubblewrap stuck on the ground so we jumped on that for a while, then went to the waterfront and got icecream and played around on the swings

we may be going out again next week sometime. she said she wants an excuse to wear her ****tail dress, and i have to wear a suit

i did still go to the party after she left. there was a keg and someone questioned by drinking abilities

the challenge could not be left unanswered hehe

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Yeah, I think of her kind of like I do of Kenny G: Clearly gifted technically, but having no taste whatsoever.

If I just want notes hit I can ask a machine to do it. Being a musician means having artistic gifts IMO.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I went to the zoo, and now we're making nachos and taco salad and all sorts of delicious food.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

Well, we went from nachos to bad things. Bad things happening with my grandfather's side of the family. I think that without some kind of intervention from my grandfather, things could get much worse.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.