AvP banned in Australia because the developer refuses to censor it

Humodour

sounds like somebody's legal system needs to download the latest patch.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Aussies win at drinking, hands down. also croc wrangling, barbecue shrimp, and real football. americans win at american football, basketball, and writing constitutions.

i have never been to australia, nor have i ever even met someone from australia.

the knowledge of this post stems from the knowledge of time itself.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Aussies win at drinking, hands down. also croc wrangling, barbecue shrimp, and real football. americans win at american football, basketball, and writing constitutions.

i have never been to australia, nor have i ever even met someone from australia.

the knowledge of this post stems from the knowledge of time itself.

*laughs*

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Is it that hard to order games from online retailers in Australia?

If you try to buy games (software) from Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk, the website says it won't ship to the zone you're in. I believe it's the same with Steam. There was an news article here in Australia showing how you can still use Steam and bypass the zone restriction by having a friend in another country get it for you. You have to get a bit creative. ebay retailers is anotehr way which is what I use.

The risk is that if the package gets stopped by Customs and they realise it's a banned game, they will seize it and issue you a letter for importing banned material.

The risk is that if the package gets stopped by Customs and they realise it's a banned game, they will seize it and issue you a letter for importing banned material.

What you do is hide the game in another game box and then seal the box so it looks new - id est hide AvP in a "My Little Pony:The Game." :(

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

If you try to buy games (software) from Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk, the website says it won't ship to the zone you're in. I believe it's the same with Steam. There was an news article here in Australia showing how you can still use Steam and bypass the zone restriction by having a friend in another country get it for you. You have to get a bit creative. ebay retailers is anotehr way which is what I use.

What about online retailers other than Amazon?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

It should all be the same. It's a legal issue so I doubt anyone would risk it. Of course, this doesn't cover direct download / online purchases, and even more importantly, flat-out piracy. I had no problems with getting Risen as direct download (I think Risen *was* unrated for something stupid, like someone urinating somewhere - or was it G3?...) As someone in the affected area who had to look at his options with Gothic 3 and so forth, I have to say it's pretty sad and ludicrous how attractive piracy becomes in that situation. I wouldn't mind if NZ, for instance, deliberately 'banned' the game, as they did with Manhunt, but sometimes they would have given an R18 if it existed.

What about online retailers other than Amazon?

There are plenty others you can use. Same with direct download stuff, some games won't be available outside North America while others sell the same game worldwide. That's how I got Risen*.

*Risen was banned because of the player being rewarded for using drugs and prostitutes.

On that note, could I trouble one of you chaps to buy me an uncensored version of L4D2?

.. you can still use Steam and bypass the zone restriction by having a friend in another country get it for you. You have to get a bit creative. ebay retailers is anotehr way which is what I use.

On that note, could I trouble one of you chaps to buy me an uncensored version of L4D2?

DO NOT. Your uncensored L4D2 will magically become a censored one even if someone with the uncensored version gifts you it. Similarly a gifted Steam copy of any banned game will not work in Australia unless you can get a non Australian IP to activate it on (and you will run the risk of getting your account banned if caught).

It isn't Steam's fault, it's just that they are (technically) distributing an unrated game if they allow it and would be liable for prosecution if they did so.

It's just funny that they would waste time/resources on that.

It's not like anyone is going to be being employed specifically to look for video games, so there isn't any extra resources devoted to Risen and AvP. They look through your stuff, if you've got anything that can't be brought in it gets taken away.

I'd do it but seems like it won't work. How did they censor it anyway?

It's just funny that they would waste time/resources on that.

It's not like anyone is going to be being employed specifically to look for video games, so there isn't any extra resources devoted to Risen and AvP. They look through your stuff, if you've got anything that can't be brought in it gets taken away.

At least over here in mudland they check for specific things like drugs, explosives, etc. in individual packages. Having to compare every item against a list of "banned games/books/movies/whatever" sounds like a ton of extra work.

It'll give more people jobs, though :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

It's all perfectly sane.

Xenophobia is bad.

Xenophobia means fear of aliens.

This game certainly makes me scared of aliens.

ERGO

AvP is bad and should be banned because it makes you want to track jews with a motion tracker then nuke them from orbit.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.