Digital Releases - Cut of the Profits

Digital distribution of games presumably has lower costs than distribution through retail stores. The servers and the bandwidth, of course, are not free, but nonetheless, I would think the costs are substantially lower than having to make the DVDs/boxes, ship boxed copies of games to retail stores and paying for all that retail space.

The costs of digital copies of games, however, do not differ much if at all from the costs of games bought at retail stores, allegedly not to undercut the still important retail sales channels. I am wondering, however, if developers/publishers get a larger share of the profits from digitally-distributed games than they get from games sold in retail? It would be nice if more money made its way back to the developers and publishers to recoup development costs of games, but I have not heard any indication as to how much of the cut is taken by the digital-retailers like Impulse, Steam or D2D. Anybody has thoughts or better-yet information (even if approximate) on the matter?

Digital distribution services for PC games generally don't offer the same deal to all content providers like App Store or Android Market do. Different developers get different deals although I won't be surprise if bigger ones tend to cut more favorably.

The Gearbox CEO did come out and accused Valve of exploiting small developers shortly before Borderlands got released. Don't know if there's any truth to that but during the same period he also said Fallout 3 sucked because it had dialog trees.

Digital distribution services for PC games generally don't offer the same deal to all content providers like App Store or Android Market do. Different developers get different deals although I won't be surprise if bigger ones tend to cut more favorably.

The Gearbox CEO did come out and accused Valve of exploiting small developers shortly before Borderlands got released. Don't know if there's any truth to that but during the same period he also said Fallout 3 sucked because it had dialog trees.

I bet the developers get same money as from retail boxes, and publishers gets all the extra money...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Has Valve actually released any raw numbers on x amount of sales they have on Steam? Have they released any info regarding the ROI (Return of Investment) for each product that available through Steam?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Steam is certainly worth it. I've bought so many games on Steam that I would not buy normally (including big-name titles), and it's a pretty effective form of DRM that most people seem to be actually neutral or positive about, unlike that SecuROM bull****.

That said, GOG.com is vastly superior.

Has Valve actually released any raw numbers on x amount of sales they have on Steam? Have they released any info regarding the ROI (Return of Investment) for each product that available through Steam?

No I don't think so, and they have indicated they are unlikely to do so any time soon for business reasons.

Individual developers/publishers do get data about their own games, however.