HDTV displays?

My XBox 360 has 1080p and 1080i available as optionsbut my HDTV is supposedly limited to 720p. If I set the display at either at these two options would that harm my HDTV?

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

I think you need an HDMI connector for 1080P, and if your TV has that it should be able to accept that signal. But you're better off setting the 360 to the native resolution of the TV, and 360 games are all rendered in 720P anyway.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

How many video connectors are on that cable? You need the component cable (3 video connectors) to even get 720P. Like I said, if your TV has an HDMI connector, it should be able to accept a 1080P signal. I think the xbox360 hdmi cable will give you an optical 5.1 output also, but I'm not sure.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I got the one with six AV connectors, with two being audio and hooked directly to my speakers via adapter. The speakers are designed for PC use but the adapter I am using has the two AV connectors on one side and the 3 PC audio connectors on the other. I have the video connectors (red, blue, and green) hooked in the HDTV, the yellow has no place to go.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

OK, so you have the component cable. I think you can try 1080P without any problems, though I don't see the point. You could try 1080i first, any HD TV should be able to accept that signal.

Oh, it shows the signal. I am just worried if I was to use it at the higher resolutions that I might damage my HDTV. That is what I want to know. If it doesn't I would like to make use of 1080p, but if doing so kills the screen I like to know ahead of time.

If it's a 720P TV, all it's doing is down converting it back to 720P before it displays it. If it can show the signal, it means it's designed to handle it, so it shouldn't damage anything.