Swiss ban minarets

theslug

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091129/ap_on_...and_minaret_ban

Since there are a number of people on the boards who hail in regions nearby I thought this would be relevant. Personally I fully support the Swiss in their decision, they should run their country the way they see fit and its not like they are outlawing Islam. I like how all these people shout about equality and freedom of religion. Try constructing a giant star of david in a Muslim country and see what happens. You'd probably be beaten or executed, not by some extremist but by the masses.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I can't agree, sluggo. I think it sends a revolting message of anti-Islam. If they don't want sharia law and parties which are anti-democratic that's fine. But refusing to permit minarets is outlawing a perfectly inoffensive part of a perfectly inoffensive religion. It's like trying to outlaw nazism by banning marching.

On the other hand I take a certain grim pleasure in the fact that the vaicillating bastards of Switzerland have come off their neutrality high horse in such a ridiculous way. They've had a free ride defence wise on the sacrifices of other nations, and perhaps now they will have to do their bit with the rest of us now they are likely to become targets.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Talk about idiotic.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

This is pretty ugly. Why couldn't they be smarter about it, like limiting the height of buildings that fall under certain zonings? In my city you basically can't build anything over two stories without super special permits, and even in larger cities there are a fair amount of restrictions on tall structures.

This is the kind of stuff that is going to lead to an all out religious war. I really see no positives here. It's not like the Muslims are going to stop practicing their religion, there is just going to be more pissed off Muslims around than before.

You would think we would at least be able to maintain the illusion of religious freedom in Europe, but no, not in Switzerland.

At least we are not the worst in Denmark which is comforting of sorts. Just recently a ban on Burkas was shot down in flames as the transparent cheap-shot it was.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

"The minaret is a sign of political power and demand, comparable with whole-body covering by the burqa, tolerance of forced marriage and genital mutilation of girls," the sponsors said. They said Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan compared mosques to Islam's military barracks and called "the minarets our bayonets." Erdogan made the comment in citing an Islamic poem many years before he became prime minister.

Heh, if the referendum went according to those tendencies, then it is no wonder they voted no. (It is just a building, folk! In the end, no one has any authority of the others mind) Those in favor of banning it seemed to have been working hard to point out that they are not banning "another religion", rather they were banning the Sith or something.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

And that was today's reminder that you Europeans are exactly as horrifically racist as (if not more than) the United States, except all your borders are drawn on ethnic lines so nobody notices. Please enjoy tomorrow's reminder; I suspect that some eastern Europeans will beat someone to death for being too Russian! Or perhaps your RIRA will be forced to resort to violence to free their Irish brethren from the English yoke? Anything could happen with your inbred nobles in charge!

Thank God the wall fell, otherwise I couldn't say out of hand that all European governments are racist.

How clumsy. Nice job at giving them fundies some ammo.

Edit:

Thank God the wall fell, otherwise I couldn't say out of hand that all European governments are racist.
Gold. Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

The Swiss have always had a reputation for being xenophobes. Their neutrality comes from it.

Heja Sverige!!

I'm not sure if I would call it ethnically mixed. They have loads of foreigners, but the majority of those are western Europeans, mostly Italians, Germans and Portuguese. Not exactly a melting pot of different ethnicities.

Heja Sverige!!

Show me a system of government that's right and I'll show you a person who's wrong.

Heja Sverige!!

Show me a system of government that's right and I'll show you a person who's wrong.

Well there are certainly systems of government that are more wronger than others.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Not in any objective sense.

Heja Sverige!!

A government where everybody knows your name?

Heja Sverige!!

Is there any sort of real reason for the ban? Its not like there are safety or asthetics issues, as minarets are visually pleasing. It seems rather arbitrary.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

And that was today's reminder that you Europeans are exactly as horrifically racist as (if not more than) the United States, except all your borders are drawn on ethnic lines so nobody notices. Please enjoy tomorrow's reminder; I suspect that some eastern Europeans will beat someone to death for being too Russian! Or perhaps your RIRA will be forced to resort to violence to free their Irish brethren from the English yoke? Anything could happen with your inbred nobles in charge!

For a chap who proposes genocide on economic grounds as the route to human happiness I'm not sure of your foundations...

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

A right-wing campaign to outlaw minarets on mosques in a referendum being held in Switzerland today has received an unlikely boost from radical feminists arguing that the tower-like structures are
Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy