Batman: Arkham Asylum

Okay, I'm officially impressed.

The story, while not particularly remarkable, has some cool sequences. Graphics are good and the environment is suitably moody. Platforming is okay, investigation stuff is cool but brief, stealth is good.

The combat gets its own paragraph, because it's simple yet amazingly fun. I was a little skeptical at first, but once you get a bunch of enemies attacking and you literally turn into a whirlwind of fists and feet it's pretty damn satisfying. There is a little bit of enemies waiting their turn, but not as much as in the AC games. The tail ends of moves can be truncated, leading to a more frantic pace and creating a visually impressive "how the hell did Batman get there?" effect.

Definitely a great game. I also really enjoyed the combat to the point where I did the challenge maps, something I don't normally do on other games. The combat only gets better as you go along because Batman get access to some nifty gadgets that can be seamlessly integrated into your combo.

I love using the upgraded batclaw and the multi-batarang in the middle of my combos. Its not all about pushing timed button presses either. To be really effective you have to be careful where Batman flows to next because he might end up in the middle of 3-4 baddies that attack at once. I usually used a circular pattern going from one baddie to another, trying to keep the main group of baddies in the center of the circle.

It gets interesting when you're in a group on regular enemies, ones with knives and ones to stun batons. You have to think fast and either evade or use an attack that they are vulnerable against.

I'm really looking forward to the sequel, hopefully in Gotham City. I hope there are segments where you can play as Bruce Wayne, trying to keep a low profile while completing objectives.

• 2 weeks later...

I played through the game once and enjoyed it, but never bothered with the challanges. Rather annoyed that I did all the Riddle puzzles but still don't have 100% of the game.

The trailer for the next game is in, by the way: Click Me.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I heard the game was pretty damn polished so I picked it up during the Steam holiday sale recently. Have downloaded it and now all I have to do is play it. Freedom Force and STALKER are first on the list though.

Kind of cut that it has ****ing Securom protection. I wouldn't have bought it if I had known. Isn't ****ing Steam enough?

Edited by Krezack

Isn't it just a regular disc copy protection?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I played through the game once and enjoyed it, but never bothered with the challanges. Rather annoyed that I did all the Riddle puzzles but still don't have 100% of the game.

Did you

figure out who the spirit of Amadeus Arkham is?

You've got to

go back to the room you left the Warden in.

That's the only thing I can think of.

Did you

You've got to

Yes, I did. In order to get 100% on the PC, you have to do 'Challenges' that are seperate from the main game/story line. For example, there's one where a waves of goons attack you and you try to get a high score.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Did you

You've got to

Yes, I did. In order to get 100% on the PC, you have to do 'Challenges' that are seperate from the main game/story line. For example, there's one where a waves of goons attack you and you try to get a high score.

Oh sorry, I getcha now. Yeah, the console version is exactly the same. Checking just now, apparently I've completed 84% but have a mere 5% for challenges. I don't know why that would be annoying unless you have a compulsive need to get 100%.

Huh, I was hoping they would move away from Arkham. I get that they are moving it or whatever, but it still would be nice to have a different theme, like maybe the Mansion or the Wayne Skyscraper.

I was hoping for Batman: Somewhere Else, but I suppose there isn't really anywhere else that's as iconic as Arkham while offering such a variation in the environment. Basically I was hoping to be able to run around a large chuck of Gotham City. From the looks of the teaser is seems the sequel won't just take place in the new asylum, but also in the surrounding areas of the city, so maybe I'll get my wish after all.

Edited by Hell Kitty

arkham 2:

i got the impression that the sequel would not take place on arkham island at all...

the name "arkham has moved" and the implications from the video that the whole city is being ravaged by loons and goons say to me that the game will take place in the streets of gotham and not on the island of the first game

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Isn't it just a regular disc copy protection?

No. You have to bloody activate it online.

And THEN you have to create a damn Windows Live account or it won't let you save your game. **** this.

arkham 2:

i got the impression that the sequel would not take place on arkham island at all...

the name "arkham has moved" and the implications from the video that the whole city is being ravaged by loons and goons say to me that the game will take place in the streets of gotham and not on the island of the first game

From what I've read, it takes place in both the asylum and Gotham itself.

I don't know why that would be annoying unless you have a compulsive need to get 100%.

Well they shove that big, fat GAME COMPLETED percentage in your face whenever you start up the game.

...okay, yeah, it's a bit compulsive.

And THEN you have to create a damn Windows Live account or it won't let you save your game. **** this.

This is correct.

Edited by Maria Caliban

While it did require Windows Live, I don't recall having to activate it online.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: