Dragon age discussion

Gorth

The author of that article is ignorant. Typical Morrigan hater. If the mages were so 'powerful' as he claims then why do they bow to the Chantry.

I don't blame her either for wnating to see the mages get what's coming because they'd do the same to her. Wynn the so called goody two shoes flatly attacks Morrigan simply because she is an 'apostate'. The only weakness in that scenario is that Morri should have wnated to take the tempalrs out too. That's BIO's fault for not giving that option not the character's.

Morrigan approves of plenty of 'good' actions nor does she suggest murdeirng little kiddies. *shrug*

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Doesn't matter. 100% resistance is broken. Plain,a nd simple.

typical vol nonsense. is not simple. so what if you becomes invulnerable to mages if doing so makes you more vulnerable to, and less effective against, physical-focused adversaries. is a trade-off, and the trade-off is not worth it save in one battle. the number 100% not mean anything in and of itself.

btw, thanks to Di's prompting we went ahead and played the mage origin. in fact, to be fair, we has now played all the origins. am not sure if we would claim that the mage origin presented us with moral ambiguity. sure, having already played through the game once we had meta-knowledge regarding some important mage origin characters. nevertheless, depending on your pov, you could make a mage origin choice secure in knowledge that you were doing the right thing... were no true no-win. nevertheless, we did like that the choice were hard, if not gray... not that it genuine mattered in the end. actually, of all the origins we would say we enjoyed the mage one the most. is sad that the resources allocated to the dahlish portion were so obvious inferior to those of the other origins. as the dahlish art not gets recycled in game it were understandably poor compared to other origins. nevertheless, we actually thinks it were pretty solid.

'course, having now played through human noble entire and dwarf noble +80% (including orzamar) am gonna reiterate that we is moderate disappointed that bio's puffery regarding the impact o' the origins weren't more accurate. not surprised is Gromnir, but am a little disappointed.

HA! Good Fun!

ps w/o considering pickpocket skills, am thinking you gets the most ph47 1007 doing mage origin... probable followed by (edit) the city elf. two very nice items is included in city elf haul.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Will be going to bed shortly, after having gotten through the

gate area

of the endgame. Big ol' spoilers ahead.

Both Alistair and Morrigan are petulant, selfish little children.

I twist some arms into a marriage of convenience to get the best shot at a stable government. The Landsmeet votes in my favor. But for some silly reason, Loghain gets a right of appeal by combat. Genre convention, I guess. Six spells later, he's begging for mercy. Murdering him does us no good (particularly after he yielded in a supposedly honorable duel, in front of a crowd of supposedly honorable noblemen), but Al throws a hissy fit at not murdering a man who's begging for his life, tossing the whole "stable government" compromise out the window along with it. The game seems to really want Loghain dead, giving me about a half dozen chances to change my mind as Al's temper tantrum continues. I say no, and Al storms out (taking my best armor, longsword, and enchantment runes with him) like a spoiled toddler. I ask Anora to spare his life, but I'm not entirely certain why.

Then the game pulls the same "are you really really sure you're sure" stuff again, when Morrigan is pitching her ridiculous "bang me so I can make a god-baby for reasons I won't tell you" offer. For once, the game gives me an appropriate "Are you insane?" dialogue choice, and I stick to it, despite the many times the dialogue circles around to try to get me to go the other way.

These are the characters that Bioware expects us to like?

Edited by Enoch

"Both Alistair and Morrigan are petulant, selfish little children."

am in full agreement. we liked that bio confronted us with hard choices, but the scenarios they presented in da to achieve the Hard Choice were a bit... dubious. mass effect did better with the simple choose A or B. though am gonna note that based on the way we built our party for +60 hours o' gaming, it were far more difficult for Gromnir to maintain our resolve and kick some folks to the curb... even though we saw it coming in one case.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Morrigan has her goal. If you say not to her, it's not a temper tantrum to leave; but logical. If you aren';t willing to help her 9when she's actually helping you too)... why should she help you? LMAO And, oh, she SPOILER tells you why.

And, I see your point with Alistair; but I see his point too. It seems to me youa re the one acting like a juvenile since you won't see the other characters' viewpoints. Why are you being so selfishly concerend with only your wants and needs?

I think Enoch and his PC are the petulant, and selfish little children.

Grom: Being compltely immune to magic is broken cheese plain and simple. No way around it. No logic can defend something so immoral, broken, and cheesy.

Edited by Volourn

"No logic can defend something so immoral, broken, and cheesy."

funny. maybe you should actually try using logic or reason for a change... might then make apparent that your conclusions is fallacious. Gromnir is using reason, but all you gots is conclusions and claims o' cheese... which is to be expected from R00FLES.

HA! Good Fun!

Stable government=selfish

Not giving Morrigan, the self-styled manipulator a godkid to mess with and sacrificing his own life

=selfish

magic immunity=immoral

lol?

Edited by Oner

"Stable government=selfish"

If it is hat your character wants, and it's your way or the highway and you won't accept the fact that Alistarir makes some good points. btw, You cna have a stable gov't even doing what Alistair asks you to do. *shrug*

"Not giving Morrigan, the self-styled manipulator a godkid to mess with and sacrificing his own life=selfish

magic immunity=immoral"

OO Spoilers. Anyways, she has her goals, you have yours. Why should she blindly follow you if you won't do her a favor espicially she gives solid reasons for why she wants to do this and why it is also helpful in YOUR mission? You spit in her face and then expect her to kiss your butt and get back in line? Give me a break. Thankfully, she's not a zombie, and doesn't follow blindly behind a poor leader who cna't see the big picture.

"funny. maybe you should actually try using logic or reason for a change... might then make apparent that your conclusions is fallacious. Gromnir is using reason, but all you gots is conclusions and claims o' cheese... which is to be expected from R00FLES"

You arne't using reason. You've mad eno piint to show that have 100%MR is somehow NOT broken. Being completly immune to all magic - when everyone agrees that magic is THA awesome - is complete and utterly cheesy bullocks.

And, youa re wrong. It doesn't just ruin ONE battle. It ruins a huge amount of battles. Emmisaries will all of assuden become a joke, many demons would be a joke, the Mage Tower would be even EASIER, many bandit battles would be a joke, and on, and on. It completely breaks the game. Might as well just allow people to have 100% resiatnce to phsyical damage and call it a day. LMAO

That reminds me...

Say "Knight-Commander' every time the NPCs say "Grey Warden" in Landsmeet, endgame and postgame slides.

Makes ya tingle.

the mage tower? HA! mage tower is purposeful set up so that it not matter how your character is built. you could have worst equipment and most lame build ever, and mage tower is beatable and fun precisely 'cause none o' that matters... and most o' the demons is doing elemental or physical damage. and again, to be 100% magic resistance you reduce your efficacy considerable against physical foes. 3 mr runes and otherwise average armour... and an extreme expensive amulet... all to get mr? why? is stoopid. use same cash to buy lifegiver ring and paralyzing runes that make you tough v. Everything rather than just mages... buy better armour too. cost v. benefit? is a concept you never heard of?

'course, if enemies used magic as smart as does players, then yeah, 100% magic resistance would be great, but as has been noted Many times, enemies is dumb. they not make use of their magics effective. as it now stands in da, is only one battle with a solo super powerful mage/revenant, and that is a side-quest. every other battle it makes far more sense to turn up the hurt and kill'em faster.

"Might as well just allow people to have 100% resiatnce to phsyical damage and call it a day. LMAO"

actually, such a thing Would break the game... is one reason why peoples claim that arcane warrior is broken. you ain't been following? is far more physical attacks coming your way than magical... and to get 100% magical resistance you sacrifice your ability to dish out and soak up physical damage.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

I've avoided the spoilers so far, but what I'm getting from you is that I'll eventually have to choose between Morrigan and Alistair? If so, Morrigan better move fast or the door is going to smack her on her ass on the way to the sidewalk.

nope.

HA! Good Fun!

Most battles have one mage, I shattered them from range with Wynne and there, magic immunity not needed (if there are more magi, they get a dog treatment). Gearing for spell resistance is a waste of item slots, not

Why do you targets mages first? Oh yeah, because they are the most dangerous. With 100SR%, you can completely ignore them and target the tanks first always no matter what. How is having 100% SR% NOT broken? It's illogical. How cna people defend such broken cheesiness?

There's a reason why most battles only have 1-2 mages involved and a billion meleers - any more magic power and you'd be overpwoered.

In conclusion, 100%SR is cheese.

Edited by Volourn

Most of the better DA battles involved mages, imo.

Blood Mage Hideout, guy who is a rip off of a BG2 baddie, the avrious Emessaries.

In fact, I rememeber early in the game in the wild when you meet your first Emessary. That was a fun battle with some great scripting. Fantastic.

Tons tons more.

More memorable mage fights in DA than BG2.

Why do you targets mages first? Oh yeah, because they are the most dangerous. With 100SR%, you can completely ignore them and target the tanks first always no matter what. How is having 100% SR% NOT broken? It's illogical. How cna people defend such broken cheesiness?

with 100% sr 1 character can ignore mages... not your party... and your 100% sr character is also necessarily more vulnerable to physical attacks than he/she would be if she were more intelligently arming and armouring self. enemy mages is dangerous and dumb. if enemies target your mages the same way you try to eradicate their mages, da would be a very different game.

am not sure why this isn't getting through? and for you to invoke logic is just crazy-wacky.

and bg2 mage battles were much more complex than da mage battles... but that is to be expected given the vast catalog of spells available in bg2 as opposed to da. if da were to suffer from the same unrestrained spell list bloat as does d&d, then am suspecting that da battles would be tougher... particularly if da enemy ai were improved.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

The Twisted Rune alone has more fiersome and varied mage opponents than all of DA.

Oh that wacky Gromnir.

Defdning cheese such as this while claiming that rogues are useless even though he uses them. LMAO

Then again, you find simple bandits the toughest fights in the game so such a lost cause when it comes to logic.

"The Twisted Rune alone has more fiersome and varied mage opponents than all of DA. "

Nah. They were wussies. ASll i ddi was send my warriors to fight, and never had to click on them and never saw the Rune again.

Edited by Volourn

I've currently done Redcliffe, the Mage Tower, and the Brecialian forest. I guess I finally have to hit the

urn

. I'll do that after I have a little chat with some dark and uglies in the Brecilian forest area. Sadly didn't have much of a chance to finish that earlier, but I think I can take the time now.

I didn't even know you could get up to 100% spell resistance. That would mostly bother me if we actually fought each other one on one. We don't combat other players and we're in a party also. As it is, I do think you better take care of enemy mages ASAP because they will ruin your day. Luckily, most of them go down pretty fast with fireball and inferno or blizzard. I'm telling you though, there was one battle against a bunch of raggedy assed bandits that I couldn't figure out how they were knocking me off. After two wipes, I realized that they were up on the hill. Rookie mistake. Next battle was cheese easy. Advanced intel always helps.

The Twisted Rune alone has more fiersome and varied mage opponents than all of DA.

agreed.

and vol, just as you keep fraudulently claiming that we concluded that rogues is useless and weak, we also never said that the denerim thugs were the toughest battles in the game. we did note that the denerim thugs is disproportionate tough for a bunch o' back alley reprobates, but those battles were not anywhere near the toughest in the game. in any event, we stand by our assertion that 500 of the denerim thugs we encountered as a level 18 or level 20 character would make short work of the blight. Gromnir's gimped 4-man party and a handful of henchmen cut through the heart of the horde without much resistance. if less than dozen thugs could make Gromnir sweat, 500 would makes kibble out of a mere blight.... just as Gromnir eviscerates vol.

"I didn't even know you could get up to 100% spell resistance."

requires very specific and costly equipment. multiple +10 gold grandmaster dewomer runes. a pendant that cost +85 gold. armour that will run you in the neighborhood o' +25 gold. etc. only a templar can wear the special armour, so that further limits the potential usefulness o' the 100% sr build.

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

Nah. They were wussies. ASll i ddi was send my warriors to fight, and never had to click on them and never saw the Rune again.

Okay. Anyone who has fought that battle can make up their own minds on that comment.

I didn't even know you could get up to 100% spell resistance. That would mostly bother me if we actually fought each other one on one. We don't combat other players and we're in a party also. As it is, I do think you better take care of enemy mages ASAP because they will ruin your day. Luckily, most of them go down pretty fast with fireball and inferno or blizzard. I'm telling you though, there was one battle against a bunch of raggedy assed bandits that I couldn't figure out how they were knocking me off. After two wipes, I realized that they were up on the hill. Rookie mistake. Next battle was cheese easy. Advanced intel always helps.

I don't know if you can get 100% physical resistance, I have 70% with Alistair right now without trying and around 50% mental thanks to templar status. I wager that as a Warrior you could get +75% on both, and +50% on most elemental resistances, if you had the DLC items as well. I'll probably see how high I can get that up in my solo rogue playthrough, it'll be crucial to survival.

"I didn't even know you could get up to 100% spell resistance."

neitehr did I til recently, and it is obvious that it is cheese.

"we stand by our assertion that 500 of the denerim thugs we encountered as a level 18 or level 20 character would make short work of the blight."

Nope. You cna have a billion level 50s and it wouldn't make a dent unless SPOILER. So... the question remains, why make stuff up, Grom? You remind of Italian Warlord but at least he was doing it for fun and not actually serious.

"Okay. Anyone who has fought that battle can make up their own minds on that comment."

Yup. Like me. They were a solid, challenging battle; but their 'hardness' is overrated even in terms of BG2 battles. Took me twice to beat them my first time largely because I was lazy. Second time, they stood no chance.