Dragon age discussion

Gorth

"how many folks without meta-knowledge knew that you could get 2 cheap(er) backpacks in ostegar?"

The horror of not discovering everything on a first play through. Seriously, you expect to be babysat. Bottom line is that DA gives you TOO much inventory. That is a weakness. But, hey, gamers are notorious for wanting to be able to carry 100+ suits of armour just so they cry about the inventory not being 'realistic'. Then again, you believe rogues are sucky yet that's already been proven as an absolute lie. Rogues are darn good in this game. This is a fact.

Wait - you can get 2 cheap backpacks in Ostagar?! :lol:

--

BTW, has anyone stumbled over any easter eggs? I've found quite a few BG2 references:

-Leliana essentially being Imoen-Chick;

-Edwina the barmaid;

-"Hey sexy, do you want to take a look at my diddies?" sayeth the harlot;

-"Gather your party before venturing forth";

Also:

-The random encounter Superman reference;

-A Mass Effect wink-wink-nudge-nudge codex entry;

manthing2.jpg

Thar be some nice mods there.

In addition to Respec mods and Inventory Space 125, I'm going to try:

-> Throw bombs at longer range, didn't make sense you could only throw them 3 feet.

http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=124

-> Get rid of the circles under the characters, yay!

http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=95

edit: also going to give the Hide Helmet mod a try (god they're hideous), and a very selective installation of the Nightmare Plus mod to try and up the difficulty.

edit2: wooops, Shale has disappeared in the Circle (

his nightmare area in fade is empty, previously had unable to load area bug.

) It seems that even when you don't install the toolset yourself, using other people's mods can potentially screw up the campaign scripts.. or maybe this is just yet another DLC error (though Shale loads fine in the other game). grah grah. I'll have to reinstall the game tomorrow, or something. Or just wait until Bio fixes the toolset, eh?

) It seems that even when you don't install the toolset yourself, using other people's mods can potentially screw up the campaign scripts.. or maybe this is just yet another DLC error (though Shale loads fine in the other game). grah grah. I'll have to reinstall the game tomorrow, or something. Or just wait until Bio fixes the toolset, eh?

At least in a Bethesda game, Shale would have been replaced by a huge yellow exclamation mark.

How awesome would that be?

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

At least in a Bethesda game, Shale would have been replaced by a huge yellow exclamation mark.

How awesome would that be?

From my understanding that only happened with the console versions of the DLC.

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

"am also wondering how many people okie dokie with inventory has soldier's peak."

I don't have Soldier's Peak. I don't spend money on things that take less than hour for that much espicially off the internet.

"we said that rogues is pointless"

Same argument can be made for half the classes in any game. *shrug* However, the rogue does offer a lot of stuff that other classes don't get. In fact, YOU prove this, by the fact you always go back through areas with a rogue even if you didn't originally have one in your party. Seems to me that is showing that whether you admit or not, rogues are worthwhile to have.

"telling us how all spells in da and bg2 is non-sucky"

" now you is misrepresenting Gromnir statements?"

Look in the mirror, bub, as I said no such thing. I've even pointed out spells that *I* find useless. But, hey, make things up.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Volourn makes an interesting point.

People point out the useless spells, but it's very important to remember that whether or not a spell is "useless" often depends on how people play the game. When I've taken feedback for various skills reported as useless, it's not uncommon for the discussion to report on people that have found various spells very useful (and not even just in a niche place either). The same goes for the class discussion.

I should note though, from a talent perspective, there are talents that have generally been regarded as less than useful, so feedback in that regard certainly isn't pointless.

Edited by alanschu

"am also wondering how many people okie dokie with inventory has soldier's peak."

I don't have Soldier's Peak. I don't spend money on things that take less than hour for that much espicially off the internet.

"we said that rogues is pointless"

Same argument can be made for half the classes in any game. *shrug* However, the rogue does offer a lot of stuff that other classes don't get. In fact, YOU prove this, by the fact you always go back through areas with a rogue even if you didn't originally have one in your party. Seems to me that is showing that whether you admit or not, rogues are worthwhile to have.

"telling us how all spells in da and bg2 is non-sucky"

" now you is misrepresenting Gromnir statements?"

Look in the mirror, bub, as I said no such thing. I've even pointed out spells that *I* find useless. But, hey, make things up.

clown.

again, the rogue is effective, but Pointless. biowarians try to create synthetic usefulness by limiting thiefy skills to one class... take away a couple o' combat trees and replace with rogue talents. is dumb. is bad design. is pointless... and for some reason you still ain't getting it.

"You sound like the people who said a bunch of spells in BG2 were useless. They aren't. Just ebcause YOU don't find them useful (cause you didn't figure them out), doesn't mean they were useless."

whatever. you compare bg ogres to da ogres as if the comparison is meaningful. you identify that some people is trying to solo as rogues as if that is significant o' anything. your mage dies in last battle and somehow you use an an indicator that mages ain't as powerful as some suggest. etc.

is like a laundry list o' silliness. really, how does you manage to work/use a computer and play these games? we got more insight from the da dog than from over 12,000 vol posts.

as for inventory...

*shrug*

using vol rationale (HA!) mathew rorie is an idiot and obvious tig is a fool, and even alan finally concedes that he had inventory issues for a considerable portion o' his first play through (bio concedes that most people only play once), and he didn't even use frost bombs 'n such... so we guess he were a dolt too. am recalling hearing that the reason the chest were added to soldier's peak is from all the press feedback regarding lack o' inventory. one o' the first developer mods available were the camp chest. vol is the guy using fact that some people is trying to solo as rogues as indicative of relative mage power, so he obvious ain't averse to using what other people is doing/experiencing in da as probative.

this just gets more and more ridiculous... really.

"The same goes for the class discussion. "

well, that is conclusory, no? alan's previous defense o' rogue bloat were based on the belief that people would be overwhelmed by too many choices if not for creating a third class. *chuckle* and am still gonna call bs on some o' the da spells being anything other than sucky, but that has been discussed to death. in a couple of months you can come back to boards and poll people... ask 'em what spells they would give their da mage. am betting those spell lists gots more in common than they gots varriation, and some spells will be unlikely to show up on any lists at all.

but heck, no doubt there is somebody out there who actually found a way to make each spell useful... 'course if a spell is disproportionately less useful than all similar tiered spells it is still sucky in our book.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"am recalling hearing that the reason the chest were added to soldier's peak is from all the press feedback regarding lack o' inventory. one o' the first developer mods available were the camp chest"

Clown. Everyone knows that BIo has no problem dumbing down their games so stop the unwashed masses from crying. People need their hands held, and if BIO wnats money, they need to keep up the handholding.

Believe me, if I had my way, there would be no mana/health regen, limited inventory to the degree of Diablo 1, rogue class would be cut (as while it is a useful class as you admit tted by you since you use them) as it adds nothing to the lore as the mage does, healing poultices/mana potions would be rare and expensive, and a host of other things that rookies like you would cry about as being 'too hardcore for skewl'.

some guy is trying to solo as a rogue, and that means something to vol. many people complain 'bout inventory space, but that has no impact on vol-logic.

the da dog were also far more consistent than vol.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Why so butthurt over rogues and inventory? Why not whine about issues that actually matter like lame health/mana regen?

more terrible logic? "why is Congress messing with baseball?" fact that Congress has no business involving themselves in baseball means that baseball is okie dokie?

mana and stamina regen is a difficult fix. our 2h fighter were doing near 65 points o' base damage per hit (maybe more) by the end of the game. if there were some way to regen stamina fast and he could use mighty blow or the berserker powers with impunity, the game would become even more broken. am suspecting that one o' the reasons the da mechanics is not transparent is 'cause the biowarians recognize the rules and mechanics as being a mess. fallout 3 had terrible combat mechanics too, which obsidian's josh sawyer has commented on numerous times, but the first time we played through fallout 3 we had no idea that the mechanics were busted, so we were content. with da we can see just enough mechanics to know that stuff is wrong... is not a very coherent system. even so, expecting bio to genuine fix at this point may be unreasonable. is a bit late to go back to the drawing board.

on the other hand, fix inventory and rogues is easy. solutions: 1) expand inventory, 2) get rid of rogue and open up rogue abilities to mages and warriors. Gromnir is far more likely to complain 'bout easy fixes that gets ignored than we is to rail 'gainst the biowarians avoiding wholesale redesign of combat mechanics. fix combat tactics? there is an easy fix: remove combat tactics as a skill. see?

HA! Good Fun!

ps on our second run through the game we just finished up the dalish portion. before we entered the ruins we had over 60 inventory slots open. immediately after entering the final/doggie part o' the ruin we had to back-track all the way to a merchant 'cause our inventory were full. even after having played once we were sure that +60 slots would be enough. it weren't.

Edited by Gromnir

I'm still waiting for a Summonable Genie Merchant. Like the one in Hordes of the Underdark.

That way I wouldn't have to leave all those valuable Frostrock, Lifestone, Leather helmets & Grey iron daggers behind.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Yeha, should have been able to heal/steal that dalish 'horse' (whatever it is called) or one of the dwarven beasts of burden to ride. That be fun. Maybe griffons will make a comeback in DA2.

i think gromnir is right about the reasons behind the obfuscation of the system in da. i was wondering too if they left everything behind tinted windows so that when they balance patched people wouldnt notice and whine about nerfs/buffs etc.

my guess is that DA 2 will be more balanced though, as I'm starting to hear more and more that mass effect 2 is.

i pray to the fallout gods (which are awful and really should not be prayed to) that josh and co manage to fix the mess that is fallout 3's rpg mechanics

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

From a story/lore standpoint, Mages should be pretty powerful. If they balance the game, I hope it's more because there is a multiplayer component. I definitely agree that non magic users should be balanced, but I'm a bit torn about the mages. Ultimately I guess if they feel the gameplay concession is better, then that is the way to go.

Why so butthurt over rogues and inventory? Why not whine about issues that actually matter like lame health/mana regen?

For the love of the gods... you whine about this as if its the end of the world. Yet the alternatives would disrupt the flow of the setting. They did it that way to make it a low magic world. So you DON'T have to pop pots like water every 3 mins nor include a 'rest' feature as you (and others) would be complaining about that too. Its pretty clear they were trying to keep it as low magic as possible and thus way IMO they did some of the things they did. Otherwise it would be a 'dark, low magic world' in name only if the only way to heal was popping pots after every encounter. Really what choice did they have if they wanted to make it as low magic as possible? Its all fluff and symantics anyways if you think about it. heal pots, heal kits, rest/camp feature or auto heal. ALL do the same thing in the end. So whats the big deal?

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

I have already solved the DA mage balancing issue earlier in this thread. 'X' is Mage POWAZ and 'Y' is ridiculousness of Mage Apparel.

X and Y rise in tandem until the game actually melts and distorts the space / time continuum. Honestly, mages should literally look like Mr Krusty off The Simpsons to balance their awesomeness. This would be an especially potent way of balancing the class in a MMO context.

sonsofgygax.JPG