Diablo III or The elder scrolls 5

urielrose

Oh yeah, you sure were "exclusively discussing the story aspect".

With posts like these, that mod sign sure looks unfitting.

Yeah, they are clearly overpaying you Tigranes. You don't deserve that corporate car and helicopter. Don't ever express your opinions or suffer from bad acne again!

otoh, though I have some problems with FO3, overall I think it succeeded to do what Oblivion failed to do, so I give Beth a lot of credit for fixing the major design flaws in Oblivion.

And I'm curious to see if those fixes apply to upcoming ES5, or if ES5 is going to simply stick exactly with the Oblivion formula.

Apart from people complaining on their forums, Beth might not even realize something was wrong with Oblivion. The game certainly sold enough and is highly ranked on Metacritic.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

otoh, though I have some problems with FO3, overall I think it succeeded to do what Oblivion failed to do, so I give Beth a lot of credit for fixing the major design flaws in Oblivion.

And I'm curious to see if those fixes apply to upcoming ES5, or if ES5 is going to simply stick exactly with the Oblivion formula.

Apart from people complaining on their forums, Beth might not even realize something was wrong with Oblivion. The game certainly sold enough and is highly ranked on Metacritic.

True. But they seem to be pretty senstive to fan criticism. A lot of the changes that were made between MW and Ob were the result of fan criticisms, especially things like players outstripping the difficulty curve and the difficulty of locating obectives. I think Beth took some of it a little too far and maybe they think they did too.

In some ways Fallout 3 is more like MW than Ob. But the question to me is: are the changes Fallout specific or a result of progress in overall game design for the dev team.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I think Beth generally knows the shortcomings in their games. Remember Emil Pagliarulo's acceptance speech for the GDC Best Writing award? "This is ridiculous" ;)

The question is, do they think those problems are major enough to warrant putting resources into fixing them?

I think Beth generally knows the shortcomings in their games. Remember Emil Pagliarulo's acceptance speech for the GDC Best Writing award? "This is ridiculous" ;)

The question is, do they think those problems are major enough to warrant putting resources into fixing them?

Well, they are never going to please everybody. They will try to make as many happen within reason, I suppose. They really did an amazing job improving aspects of their games from Oblivion to the expansion to Fallout 3. But at the end of the day, these are sandbox games that follow a certain formula. They can tinker with their writing and characters, leveling and mechanics, but they aren't going to ditch the formula that has brought them success. I wouldn't want them to.

Yeah, they are clearly overpaying you Tigranes. You don't deserve that corporate car and helicopter. Don't ever express your opinions or suffer from bad acne again!

The helicopter is a health necessity, I have this condition where excessive foot activity makes me pant and wheeze.

Anyway, I do think that after Oblivion Beth did listen, to a degree, which is why we got a lot more effort at creating real characters in FO3 (and some of them were cool), level scaling was toned down, etc. Even if its not part of the series, I expect them to take the feedback that FO3 was better in such aspects, and try and bring that back to TES5. I just really wish they'd go for a wacky setting now that they're done with the Imperial region (which was supposed to be a jungle anyway, no?) - go nuts with Skyrim or whatever.

yes, morrowind was a much more unique and interesting setting than oblivion. oblivions locales were too vanilla fantasy. though the shivering isles were a bit better

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Mind you, I not one of those crazy people like slowtrain who spends countless hours playing a game while claiming there's nothing good about it. I'm one of those crazy people who likes his hobbies to be enjoyable.

I wanted to like Oblivion. I tried to like Oblivion. Oblivion is the type of game I SHOULD like. Big, open, non-linear, stats and quests, flaming swords and monsters. That's my stuff.

But in the end, I couldn't do it. ;)

Same. Oblivion was half as good as Morrowind, which itself was already skimming the bottom of the barrel.

Same. Oblivion was half as good as Morrowind, which itself was already skimming the bottom of the barrel.

I remember playing Morrowind and more or less enjoying it but thinking how many problems it had. Now I look back and it seems epic brilliance in comparison.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Hack 'n slash, hack 'n slash. I wonder if D3 will actually have a story and interesting people to converse with or will it be like the previous two of mindless killing and hacking.

Move, wait, move, wait. I wonder if the next Chess will actually have a story and interesting people to converse with or will it be like the previous two of monotonous movement and capture of pawns.

Bioware Chess... now with both the white and the black queen "romancable" :aiee:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

If you could pick one what will it be?.

in my opinion-TES 5 except the chance that it will be in Cyrodil again.

That's like asking "Would you prefer AIDS or a pony?"

Not very good comparison, imo, because there are many people who would rather pick AIDS, just because, the thingies you usualy do while getting it (breeding yourself), are much more fun, than the things you do while getting the pony (breeding ponnies)... :aiee:

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Bioware Chess... now with both the white and the black queen "romancable" :aiee:

Guys. The next chess will feature first person real time combat and level scaling.

Why sit down and wait your turn when you can send your knight to kill that enemy king right now? Or even better, immerse yourself with the next-gen graphics and be the knight.

Brought to you by Bethesda Softworks.

Edited by jero cvmi

So because someone is unpaid, they can't be incompetent? Flawless logic. Tigranes wrote a troll post, using the "it's just an opinion" defence doesn't float. This is clearly a thread started by someone asking which you'd prefer, Diablo 3 or Elder Scrolls 5. Using such a thread to bash Oblivion for the billionth time.. can that be anything but trolling? Who here doesn't know times a thousand what everyone on this board thinks of Oblivion? Do you guys have to puke your bitterness over EVERY ****ING THREAD, despite this thread not even being about that game?

And what's even more sad is someone brown nosing said unpaid 'authority'. Now that's almost as annoying as a "giant teenage pimple".

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

mkreku, it says "moderator" not "Jesus Christ"

And if someone doesn't like something you do, there's no need to go ballistic over it. Do you like things less if someone has a lower opinion on it than you do? Point being, why the hell do you care if someone in internet criticizes something you like?

[This is clearly a thread started by someone asking which you'd prefer, Diablo 3 or Elder Scrolls 5. Using such a thread to bash Oblivion for the billionth time.. can that be anything but trolling?

Right. It's completely inconceivable that in a thread asking if people would prefer ES5 or D3 that the subject of the previous entries in both series would come up and be discussed and be derided if neccessary.

hmmm. That's true, isn't it. "Teenager's pimple" isn't much if an insult.

So because someone is unpaid, they can't be incompetent? Flawless logic.

I can absolutely be incompetent no matter how well paid or unpaid I am. :)

Tigranes wrote a troll post, using the "it's just an opinion" defence doesn't float. This is clearly a thread started by someone asking which you'd prefer, Diablo 3 or Elder Scrolls 5. Using such a thread to bash Oblivion for the billionth time..(etc)

Someone asked me, would you buy D3 or TES5. We hardly have any info on the latter. Thus, my opinion is primarily based on how much I enjoyed the previous installments, and what I perceive to be the strengths of each franchise. Oblivion, as the last TES game, is the most relevant thing we have in judging TES5. In a response to a post that was just talking about the story of the two franchises, I remarked that Oblivion's story was utter piss, and this would influence my decision on the original question.

It is relevant, and it is not a blanket criticism of TES, or a premature burial of any of TES5's potential. I think I mentioned that I'd end up buying and playing both, in the end. On the contrary, I think it is your knee-jerk reaction towards any criticism of Oblivion that is less relevant to the discussion. I stand by everything I said and say because I am offering an informed opinion and defending it without personal attacks and can recognise Oblivion's strengths. *shrug*

Anyway, no point dragging it out. I apologise if I caused any misunderstanding, but by now it should be clear that I am not 'bashing' Oblivion unconditionally.

mkreku, it says "moderator" not "Jesus Christ"

Actually, given our religion threads, I don't think I'd want the latter :aiee: