Diablo III or The elder scrolls 5

urielrose

Adding my 2 cents that I'm semi-patiently waiting for Diablo3 and at this moment couldn't care less about TES5.

Which isn't to say that I don't think Diablo3 could end up disappointing me...especially w/my track record w/games lately...but I must buy it to find out, and I won't be waiting for the bargain bin. -_-

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Hack 'n slash, hack 'n slash. I wonder if D3 will actually have a story and interesting people to converse with or will it be like the previous two of mindless killing and hacking.

It might be both. The last time I heard they're implementing WoW-style quests (don't know how in depth they are but I guess they're better than D2's) and making their placement somewhat random so you probably won't have exactly the same quests on different playthroughs. They're also revamping the whole character system (no more skill trees is the latest rumour, which would indeed be a huge difference) so they're not afraid to break Diablo conventions.

TES V should have Vats.

That would be like putting poop on a poop sandwich.

double negative turns into a positive

i will pretty much guarantee that putting poop on a sandwich made of poop will not turn that into a positive experience for you.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I have strong doubts whether Diablo 3's story will be anything fantastic or with a strong impact on the world. Rather I think they will strengthen what they did with Diablo 2: the setting, story and characters are nothing mindshattering, complicated or original but they will be delivered with a level of professionalism, visuals and conviction that they will be awesome.

Whereas with TESV, if it's anything like TESIV, it will be unoriginal, break the lore, not make any sense, not have positive gameplay consequences and be delivered in the spirit of a giant teenage pimple.

Diablo 2's world is amazing in terms of atmosphere. There is absolutely no hope, ever, that things will get better, not to mention the insanity-inducing horrors in the later levels. I love it.

Hopefully Diablo 3 delivers on this point as well.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Whereas with TESV, if it's anything like TESIV, it will be unoriginal, break the lore, not make any sense, not have positive gameplay consequences and be delivered in the spirit of a giant teenage pimple.

Took the words right out of my mouth :lol:

TES IV didn't break any lore, aside from not making Cyrodiil a jungle but generic fantasy land and messing up the names of Daedric realms (which was a case of writers passing the wrong notes to programmers, apparently).

In fact TES IV introduced some interesting new ideas regarding the Towers & their focusing stones (White Gold Tower + Amulet of Kings, Red mountain + Heart of Lorkhan, etc). Kirkbride wrote Nu-mantia Intercept after Oblivion.

If TES V deals with finding a new Emperor before the EMpire crumbles, for instance by tracing old Septim bloodlines (surely there were tons of bastard children created throughout the years) all over the Empire it could be pretty interesting.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I'm sure D3's story will be mostly in the manual and lots of yakkity yak from NPC's, like always. I'd be content with WoW-type quests, for the kind of game D3 will be. I'm mostly worried about items and skills and how they'll be handled...some of the fun of D3 was in trying crazy chr. skill choices to see how far you could go (melee sorceress etc) & I hope that remains in some form or another. Classes that are too formed and specialized become kind of a drag/limit replay.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

As always, people are so full of their own useless opinion, they can't fit in any knowledge of whatever is the latest fad to bash. This is what I hate about people: after a while, a good game with a fatal flaw turns into this horrible beast in the weaker minds and the "discussion" becomes a pissing contest of hyperboles.

Yes, I'm sure playing The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion was like having a giant pimple, Tigranes. I'll just assume you're the expert on giant pimples.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Hack 'n slash, hack 'n slash. I wonder if D3 will actually have a story and interesting people to converse with or will it be like the previous two of mindless killing and hacking.

I just want to adventure to new exciting lands, meet new people and kill them. The good old power gamer games, Diablo and Icewind Dale series. But I do like a game with some good story telling and role playing. Diablo 3 can have both hopefully and if not, it'll be another good dungeon crawling power gamers dream.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Don't be silly. I have consistently stated a number of times on this forum that (a) Oblivion is in general a well made and enjoyable game, which I myself put over 60+ hours into, and that (b) this in no way excuses its absolutely horrible level scaling or idiotic story. Considering the fact that I was exclusively discussing the story aspect of D3 and TESV, I consider your corrections in no way relevant. Fad? I can't help it if enough people found the story as moronic as I did. I'm certainly not about to refrain from criticising crap because I'm afraid of 'fads'.

Considering the fact that I was exclusively discussing the story aspect of D3 and TESV, I consider your corrections in no way relevant.

Oh yeah, you sure were "exclusively discussing the story aspect".

With posts like these, that mod sign sure looks unfitting.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Hey, if they don't quarter me for calling bits of NWN2 trash while modding here...

I have strong doubts whether Diablo 3's story will be anything fantastic or with a strong impact on the world. Rather I think they will strengthen what they did with Diablo 2: the setting, story and characters are nothing mindshattering, complicated or original but they will be delivered with a level of professionalism, visuals and conviction that they will be awesome.

In the context of the first paragraph, I think it's evident that it's about the story. If it seemed otherwise, fair enough, but surely it's clear enough by now.

Hell, since DA just crashed on me (again), here you go, some of my old posts:

I envisage that it will be like Oblivion for me - a decent game that looks pretty good, fun with maybe some special moments - but probably only good for one or two playthroughs.

With Oblivion, I spent 60 hours in the first playthrough and pretty muchv isited every single dungeon, cave, and whatever in the game. I'm also pretty sure I did over 80% of the quests, except for very rare ones and the ones that were mutually exclusive. Afterwards i could never start a new game; the novelty of the world and visceral combat was gone, and that was really the only things I thought were great about the game. The sense of exploration and discovery, and of the unknown. Unlike the games I listed above, I didn't find much appeal in any other part of the game (and I hated the end), so that game for me had no replayability.

Volo, arent you the one that claimed traps do laughable damage? I certainly think so, after a while I stopped bothering to wait 5 seconds to disarm traps even though I like Neeshka and keep her around. In this aspect Oblivion was excellent, you'd get hit by something out of nowhere and it could kill you in early levels. A "Deadly" trap should do at least 60 damage.

edit: they had Oblivion's Martin Septim as a candidate for best character.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Hooo, boy. *wipes tear from eye*

Pretty clear what I think is good and what I think is crap in oblivion, I think. Arguments are arguments: you can disagree with me or tell me why I'm wrong, and that's fine, and if you honestly thought I was passing judgement on the whole game, well I've just assured you that's not the case, but if you're just wanting to rant about fads and whatnot, heh.

As always, people are so full of their own useless opinion, they can't fit in any knowledge of whatever is the latest fad to bash..

All opinions on internet message boards are useless, both good and bad, whether about games or the latest political crisis. It's all just a bunch of people talking out their ass: me, you, everyone else.

But that's the whole point. If you are going to take that away, you might as well shut down the internet.

Pretty clear what I think is good and what I think is crap in oblivion, I think. Arguments are arguments: you can disagree with me or tell me why I'm wrong, and that's fine, and if you honestly thought I was passing judgement on the whole game, well I've just assured you that's not the case, but if you're just wanting to rant about fads and whatnot, heh.

There's nothing good about Oblivion. Except the graphics, I guess. if one os into that. And yes, I'm passing judgement on the whole game. Every last second of it.

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Oblivion is in general a well made and enjoyable game, which I myself put over 60+ hours into, and that this in no way excuses its absolutely horrible level scaling or idiotic story.

I dunno, surely the fact that you got 60+ hours out a an enjoyable game does excuse [insert stuff you don't like about game here]?

Mind you, I not one of those crazy people like slowtrain who spends countless hours playing a game while claiming there's nothing good about it. I'm one of those crazy people who likes his hobbies to be enjoyable.

Mind you, I not one of those crazy people like slowtrain who spends countless hours playing a game while claiming there's nothing good about it. I'm one of those crazy people who likes his hobbies to be enjoyable.

I wanted to like Oblivion. I tried to like Oblivion. Oblivion is the type of game I SHOULD like. Big, open, non-linear, stats and quests, flaming swords and monsters. That's my stuff.

But in the end, I couldn't do it. >_<

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I wanted to like Oblivion. I tried to like Oblivion. Oblivion is the type of game I SHOULD like. Big, open, non-linear, stats and quests, flaming swords and monsters. That's my stuff.

But in the end, I couldn't do it. >_<

^ +1

sonsofgygax.JPG

otoh, though I have some problems with FO3, overall I think it succeeded to do what Oblivion failed to do, so I give Beth a lot of credit for fixing the major design flaws in Oblivion.

And I'm curious to see if those fixes apply to upcoming ES5, or if ES5 is going to simply stick exactly with the Oblivion formula.