Fallout

TwinkieGorilla

I don't think anyone is actually lamenting Van Buren as such - its more of a question where things are going (eg Fallout 3), because everyone who gives a damn about "old school" RPG games knows that their time is up.

And if the new kids on the block were convincingly better then I would be the first to join the parade. However its obvious to anyone who hasn't started gaming yesterday that the new stuff is sh!t.

There's no way around it.

Games have become too much of an investment to screw around with, so recycling proven stuff is the order of the day.

Thus the only wildly different things come from small studios, with an occasional indulgence from a big studio (eg Mirrors Edge).

To cut the long story short, Fallout, BG, Torment etc are dead and its a testament to such games that we're even talking about them today, because apparently they could inspire something in the people who played them.

Sorry, I just dont see anyone lamenting Fallout 3, Crysis, Oblivion etc. in a few years time, let alone a decade. Which is why I'll keep insisting they're sh!t, as long the batteries in my wireless keyboard last.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Who? The NMA peeps. The RPGCodex freaks. Those types of people who haven't joined the 21st century of gaming yet.

I'm trying to join the 21st century of gaming 10 years now and all i get is DOOMs, Diablos, Warcrafts, Need For Speeds, FIFAs, Civs, and an occasional GTA.

Seriously, i'm curious. Can you suggest a game of the current century that's actually innovative and original? My to-play-list is running out.

Sorry, I just dont see anyone lamenting Fallout 3, Crysis, Oblivion etc. in a few years time, let alone a decade. Which is why I'll keep insisting they're sh!t, as long the batteries in my wireless keyboard last.
I'll be curious how they will fare in a decade or two actually.

Seriously, i'm curious. Can you suggest a game of the current century that's actually innovative and original? My to-play-list is running out.
Epic Mickey, Alpha Protocol to an extent, Scribblenauts, crapload of flash, indie and RPGMaker games, off the top of my head. YMMV of course. Edited by Oner

Who? The NMA peeps. The RPGCodex freaks. Those types of people who haven't joined the 21st century of gaming yet.

I'm trying to join the 21st century of gaming 10 years now and all i get is DOOMs, Diablos, Warcrafts, Need For Speeds, FIFAs, Civs, and an occasional GTA.

Innovative and original? Sorry, but nothing is innovative and original any more. Not even the older games. If you want innovative and original you were born a few centuries too late.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Exaggeration / Generalisation. Don't troll.

Anyway, what's the point here exactly? Van Buren was looking good. That's got nothing to do with nostalgia. Would it have been better than Beth FO3? What kind of question is that? Depends. >_<

Epic Mickey, Alpha Protocol to an extent, Scribblenauts, crapload of flash, indie and RPGMaker games, off the top of my head. YMMV of course.

Thats kinda sad really. Not because theyre bad or whatever but because theyre so obviously fringe stuff.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Innovative and original? Sorry, but nothing is innovative and original any more. Not even the older games. If you want innovative and original you were born a few centuries too late.

I'm not talking about "the earth is round" original, i'd be fine with "Tetris" original.

Alpha Protocol to an extent
Not out yet
Scribblenauts
Don't have a DS
flash
Some are pretty good, sure, but the novelty wears off as they get old pretty quickly don't they?
indie and RPGMaker games
hmm maybe that's where it's at. any specific suggestions?
Epic Mickey

Don't have a Wii, hate everything Disney, it's not out yet, and detournament of classic cartoons is... so 20th century.

You ignored the content of my post and gave a blind answer addressing nothing. I now find it hard to take seriously anything you post. Good job.

Whining about VanBuren. Nobody does. Nobody whines about VanBuren. People Call FO3 sh!t because it is. People wish VanBuren didn't die with Interplay because it looked much more hopeful than anything Bethesda has or most likely ever will attempt to execute. Not much more complicated than that.

Edited by TwinkieGorilla

You ignored the content of my post and gave a blind answer addressing nothing. I now find it hard to take seriously anything you post. Good job.

HELLO! MCFLY! This is an Internet forum. If you are taking anything seriously on an Internet forum then you are doing it wrong!

Whining about VanBuren. Nobody does. Nobody whines about VanBuren. People Call FO3 sh!t because it is. People wish VanBuren didn't die with Interplay because it looked much more hopeful than anything Bethesda has or most likely ever will attempt to execute. Not much more complicated than that.

I call that whining. Wish for things in one hand, crap in the other, and see which one gets full first. FO3 is a fun game, millions upon millions have enjoyed it, and it is a critically acclaimed game winning many awards. I think the people who are whining because FO3 isn't what they wanted are in the far far far minority.

Bethesda succeeded. Interplay failed.

Fallout 3 wins. Van Buren loses.

PS At least the Packers got to the playoffs. My team, the Bears, hasn't been that good in years! *sniff*

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

I hate FO3 but sadly Killian is correct. Bis was ultimiately a failure of a division. Seriously, how many games did they have canceled in the last few years? At least Bethesda releases games their audience wants to play. That's the veryd efinition of successful. Canceling games left and right, being overshadowed by our supposed lackey, and ultimiately crashing and burning ism proof of this.

This is why it annoys me when people try to link Obsidian to BIS. Bis was a failure. Obsidian isn't... yet....

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Seriously, i'm curious. Can you suggest a game of the current century that's actually innovative and original?"

NWN with the relatiovel;y easy to use toolset. And, its effect is still being felt 7 years later. The BG series is basically irrelevant outside of a handful of fanboys.

DA with the origins. ME with its dialogue system. These two have influenced other game cimpanies espicially Obsidian as evidenced by how many times AP is compared to ME, and how they have even gone with the sasme sort of dialogue system. They're even going for soemthing similar to BIO's origin system.

Even though, people don't care much, NHL 08 was definitely innovative and has basically brought the NHL series new life after some soft years.

There are tons of 21st century games that have added to the game world and will be remembered decades later. The 90s as a decade are vastly overrated. Face it, the mainstream didn't give a poo about FO until Bethesda's FO3. And, I say that while eprsonally hating FO3. The same goes for plenty of other games.

People need to get past their personal likes and dislikes and see the big picture.

*shrug*

What was so great about ME's dialogue system ? And DA's Origin thing, yeah, amazing really. Not really sure why it matters if the mainstream gets something in terms of a game being good, though. But I guess everything's been done to death over the years, so can't really be disappointed.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"What was so great about ME's dialogue system ? "

I didn't know the discussion was about being great or not. That's a whole nother debate. But, there is no doubt that ME's dialogue system has influenced other games and will continue to do so.

"And DA's Origin thing, yeah, amazing really. Not really sure why it matters if the mainstream gets something in terms of a game being good, though. But I guess everything's been done to death over the years, so can't really be disappointed. "

Wut? We're talking about influence, and if only a handful of net nerds are the only ones who have ehard ofs oemthing its influence is gonna be severely lacking. Sorry.

P.S. Boo doesn't understand things, apparantly.

Edited by Volourn

How many other games are copying ME's system though ? I know AP seems to be, but not much else. Who knows more might do it (especially the chimps with typewriters at Beth). In any case, odd to say the 90's are overrated for gaming, mostly people mention that with regards to the quality rather than the popularity. They've certainly influenced developers making the "classics" of this decade. You're right about people remembering these in times to come though, mostly due to the IP living past its prime :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

How many other games are copying ME's system though ? I know AP seems to be, but not much else. Who knows more might do it (especially the chimps with typewriters at Beth). In any case, odd to say the 90's are overrated for gaming, mostly people mention that with regards to the quality rather than the popularity. They've certainly influenced developers making the "classics" of this decade. You're right about people remembering these in times to come though, mostly due to the IP living past its prime :lol:

How many other games have a dialogue system anyway?

Having a wheel instead of a list is hardly the innovation of the century. That's like praising whoever invented the "grenade button" so that you don't have to specifically select grenades to throw them. Useful, but not really worth arguing about.

Edited by Purkake