Fallout

TwinkieGorilla

i bet we get the teaser in march. then in august the game gets pushed back to summer 2011

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Nah, the game is actually ready but Josh or Todd Howard stole the gold disk and is hiding in an unspecified moldy cave groaning "Preeecciioouuusssss!"

Edited by Oner

OMGOMGOMG!

I *just* heard 'bout FO:NV, I feel like crying in joy! After the *insert long ranty tirade full of insults and depressing bouts of frustration at FO3*... mess... that was FO3, I am genuinely overjoyed to see FO:NV in Obsidian's hands. *gets on hands and knees and begs intently* please-please-please tell me that the overall IQ level of this will be along the lines of greatness that were FO1 and 2 (pft, even that of KOTOR2 or Dragon Age), instead of the glossy-eyed "point-blank-nukes, eye-shots-are-unrealistic, and bobble-headed" mentality of FO3?

I don't mean to sound either trollish or fangirlish or anything like that, but I kind of feel like Obsidian holds the "last Great American Novel" (to quote Wasteland) within their hands, at least as far as Fallout is concerned... 9 years of waiting for another *good* FO RPG is too long.

...any chance of seeing a reference or nod or two to Wasteland in FO:NV, just to keep the FO tradition alive?

<>< <>< Fishy Fishy ><> ><>

I *just* heard 'bout FO:NV

:huh:

I feel like crying in joy! After the *insert long ranty tirade full of insults and depressing bouts of frustration at FO3*... mess... that was FO3, I am genuinely overjoyed to see FO:NV in Obsidian's hands. *gets on hands and knees and begs intently* please-please-please tell me that the overall IQ level of this will be along the lines of greatness that were FO1 and 2 (pft, even that of KOTOR2 or Dragon Age), instead of the glossy-eyed "point-blank-nukes, eye-shots-are-unrealistic, and bobble-headed" mentality of FO3?

heh, yep. that seems to be the general hope an' feeling around here, NMA and wherever else people congregate for games which are actually more than crappy larp simulations.

I don't mean to sound either trollish or fangirlish or anything like that, but I kind of feel like Obsidian holds the "last Great American Novel" (to quote Wasteland) within their hands, at least as far as Fallout is concerned... 9 years of waiting for another *good* FO RPG is too long.

i won't polish Obsidian's knob until i play the game and decide it's good because i certainly don't feel they've proved themselves with anything else to date but yes, i think this is not only the best hope for a real Fallout game we have...but it's most likely our only hope, ever. ironically though, judging by the sales of FO1, FO2 and FO3, if FO:NV is actually any good it won't sell at all. **** it though. i'd give my left nut for just ONE more "great" game in the series instead of a billion more poor to mediocre games like Bethesda is more than likely to dish out until the real apocalypse comes.

...any chance of seeing a reference or nod or two to Wasteland in FO:NV, just to keep the FO tradition alive?

seems that Bethesda's got our heroes on lock-down, sister. they can't say shizzy and they won't.

How many crpgs have been better than Fallout? Not many. I think expecting NV to rise to that level is somewhat harsh. Frankly I think a lot of how Fallout turned out was mostly luck. One of those games where everything just "clicked"

And let's be honest:

1) Fallout 3 was tons better than Oblivion.

2) Fallout 3 was better than most games around today.

There's lots of room for improvement sure, but there's still a lot of area between Fallout 3 and Fallout 1 that can make for an expectional, or at least very good game.

Also, I don't get the love for Fallout 2. Its a goofy, low-rent version of Fallout 1. I'm not even sure I could say it is better than Fallout 3.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

How many crpgs have been better than Fallout? Not many. I think expecting NV to rise to that level is somewhat harsh. Frankly I think a lot of how Fallout turned out was mostly luck. One of those games where everything just "clicked"
If what I read is true (FO 2 areas developed by small teams with minimal communication between each other) then yes, there was a lot of luck involved. While I agree with your point mostly, there really is not much stopping them from making a similar quality game.

Also, I don't get the love for Fallout 2. Its a goofy, low-rent version of Fallout 1. I'm not even sure I could say it is better than Fallout 3.
Humor is not bad. I liked FO 2 the way it was. Besides, the '50 SCIENCE! theme is silly from the get-go. Apart from that, it was bigger than FO 1 (2-2 quest giver NPCs in the first two towns? Seriously?), had more of the same good stuff.

snip

I agree with your view on FO 3, but not on the FO2.

Sure the overall goofiness could've been toned down a bit, but I liked how it gave me a good chuckle every once and a while. I thought it was a good contrast to the grittiness and desperate tone which was, imo, somewhat bigger than that of FO 1. Now, FO 1 did have better writing, but I still wouldn't call FO2 a low-rent version - and definitely wouldn't lower it at FO 3's level.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

snip

I agree with your view on FO 3, but not on the FO2.

Sure the overall goofiness could've been toned down a bit, but I liked how it gave me a good chuckle ever once and a while. I thought it was a good contrast to the grittiness and desperate tone which was, imo, somewhat bigger than that of FO 1. Now, FO 1 did have better writing, but I still wouldn't call FO2 a low-rent version - and definitely wouldn't lower it at FO 3's level.

I agree with this. Also, you can't discount the improvements to companions, more aware npcs' (recognition of player's special stats and equiped items), greater variety of dialogue choices, somewhat greater flexibility in the triggers that allow certain dialogue choices, the combination of global and town reputation, the improved animations for talking heads, and of course the addition of the car (when it's trunk wasn't busy dissapearing).

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

I've always liked Fallout 2 as a roleplaying game (though I do think it really screwed up the setting in many ways) but I find it harder and harder to replay it. Humor doesn't bother me at all but you can barely speak to a NPC without getting some *wink wink* comment, it makes it rather tedious since most of it is not really that funny.

I adore Monty Python for example but finding the bridgekeeper is not funny in itself, it's just a cheap shot laugh where you can say "hey, I recognize this, it's from a funny movie!"

There were many good parts about the game though, but yeah... The game is slipping on my "good games list".

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

*wink wink* comment,

Its the wink wink comments more than the humor per se that I have issue with in Fallout 2. And some of the locations are really bad. Broken Hills, for instance.

I'm not saying that Fallout 2 is terrible, just that it doesn't work as well as FO1. Which is pretty much the same thing I would say about FO 3.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

(when it's trunk wasn't busy dissapearing).
Am I the only person on Earth who had the trunk appearing in every single town?

I guess not. In some runthroughs it followed me everywhere without the rest of the car.

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I guess not. In some runthroughs it followed me everywhere without the rest of the car.

Good, I was starting to get worried.

:huh: Actually, I had that one too. Also the dissapearing inventory bug. I've actually never been able to finnish the game. I always winde up getting critted by the inv. bug when it evaporates something neccessary for game completion, like the fob.

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

:huh: Actually, I had that one too. Also the dissapearing inventory bug. I've actually never been able to finnish the game. I always winde up getting critted by the inv. bug when it evaporates something neccessary for game completion, like the fob.

Oh yes, that was a nice one. I never lost anything really important but it was annoying when it happened.

Hey JE. Seeing as you're there. What's your appeal on the subject at hand? Fallout 1 or 2?

Maybe I always read the wrong interviews, but the unwritten law among game devs seems to be: Every iteration is good, I'm just humbly doing my part.

Aww, there goes my theory.

Edited by Oner