More confirmation of WoD MMORPG

TheHarlequin

Here are the most relevant quotes from the White Wolf YouTube videos we posted about earlier on our site. These were videos of a White Wolf GenCon type conference they had less then a month ago. Thanks to Cahalith for transcribing the videos.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I am the senior producer for the World of Darkness MMO that we are working on. Thanks. Glad you guys are excited about it. But I'm not going to talk about that today, unfortunately. I know it's a horrible tease, right? But the fact is, before we talk about the World of Darkness MMO, we want it to be right, and we're spending millions of dollars getting it right and we want to make sure that when we are ready to show it, we are ready to show it. And the one thing I can tell you is that we absolutely will be taking the attitude of a company like Blizzard

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

I'll be saving my money until they make another single-player game. :(

My guess is you will have a while to wait then.

World of Darkness News

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

Didn't you already have a thread for this?

A while back yes. However didn't feel like digging for it. Does it matter? Not really considering how may DA threads are going on or other such topics.

You have anything constructive to add or just nit picking and derailing the thread?

Edited by TheHarlequin

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

Funny or childish depending on your point of view I suppose.

The kids in this thread aside, considering the amount of traffic my site gets and almost 0 info has been released about except that it is indeed in production there is a lot of interest. Here are my site stats for the past 10 months:

Hits

Total Hits 5,873,264

Normal Hits 5,654,762

Spider Hits 180,221

Average Hits per Day 18,071

Average Hits per Visit 45.17

Page Views

Total Page Views 1,062,442

Average Page Views per Day 3,269

Average Page Views per Visit 8.17

Unique Page Views 396,885

Visits

Total Visits 130,040

Normal Visits 75,699

Spider Visits 27,207

Average Visits per Day 400

Total Unique Visitors 57,537

Total Visitor Stay Length 18602:47:55

Average Visitor Stay Length 8:34

Full stats here:

http://www.wodonlinenews.net/Forums/tabid/...84/Default.aspx

To put it in perspective nwn2news.net when I ran that was getting 8 million page views & 18,000 unique visitors a month in its last year of operation but it went online the week of the official announcement for that game. With that in mind clearly theres a fair amount of interest considering the numbers already and it's just going to grow.

Edited by TheHarlequin

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

I think it's a bit dismissive to simply write off the people that are stating "Zzzzzz" as kids, so I have to agree in large part with my kitty loving friend.

However, my interest in this is low at the moment, because most of my interest is focused on SWTOR for MMORPG style games. Hopefully it pans out.

I'm interested in a potential World of Darkness MMO*, but there is nothing in the first post that means anything to me. It's like Thief 4, it's in development, and that's nice and all, but with no other information there is nothing to get excited about.

* And I'm not even an MMO player, it's more that I'm interested in the game world. Same reason I'm interested in The Secret World. I've played trials of a few MMOs before and they've never really thrilled me too much. WoW, Eve, City of Villians, some DnD thing, and a free one where you played three characters at once that I downloaded solely because I liked the look of the funky character outfits. CoV was best, because I just loved making lost of awesome characters. The portrait generator in Eve was also fab. Man, I sure do love creating characters. Like that old game Twilight 2000. Never played the damn thing, but it sure did have a great character generator. And I want an RPG with the strengths and weaknesses system like in Daggerfall. I'm hungry, I want a sandwich.

I think it's a bit dismissive to simply write off the people that are stating "Zzzzzz" as kids, so I have to agree in large part with my kitty loving friend.

I think he specifically looks for reasons to flame people.

Indeed, he's a ****.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

However, my interest in this is low at the moment, because most of my interest is focused on SWTOR for MMORPG style games. Hopefully it pans out.

I agree with this. It does seem to be at least a couple years down the road, maybe even longer. I'll pay attention when they start releasing screens, for now it's just all speculation.

Well anyone with a ounce of maturity would have simply skipped it and moved on. You don't see me posting in every thread I have 0 interest in the fact I have 0 interest in it over and over (as some of these anti-mmo folks do in every mmo thread). What does it accomplish aside from the kid like antics of 'look at me, look at me!!!!!'? *shrugs*. So no I don't think its condecending at all. I thinks it a simple accurate observation on my part and nothing more. If they feel its inaccurate and my opinions matters so much to them perhaps they should learn tact/etiquette and stop giving me reason to envision them as 16 yr old kids on daddys PC who never were taught proper social skills? Those that are lashing out simply, IMO, are those that my comment hit a nerve with and just reaffirm my point. Thankfully my ego/pride/self worth is not based on what some unknown strangers, kids, whatever think of me on the internet even though they comment as if I do. *chuckle*

Moving on to a topic of move substance...

I could never get into star wars. While I am happy for the sw fans they now have a couple mmos and I think sw (just like fallout and shadowrun) lend itself as a great setting for a mmorpg. Again I never liked sw and never got into the mmos or crpgs. If EA plays its cards right, it will have a great mmo with biowares sw game. OTOH it could be all bells and whistles and fluff and little substance. With bioware and now EA in the mix you just never know which you are going to get.

As for WoD, those comments are promising, especially the 'its not going to be wow with fangs' as thats been the fear by many WoD fans. And it's nice to see reafirmation that games is still in development. Since there is little other news now coming out about it since the info lock down this past summer. Since the WW folks are directly involved in the development there is no third party to put any blame if it tanks. Point being if the developers of the original game its based on can't pull it off then perhaps it was never meant to be.

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

I'm interested in a potential World of Darkness MMO*, but there is nothing in the first post that means anything to me. It's like Thief 4, it's in development, and that's nice and all, but with no other information there is nothing to get excited about.

* And I'm not even an MMO player, it's more that I'm interested in the game world. Same reason I'm interested in The Secret World. I've played trials of a few MMOs before and they've never really thrilled me too much. WoW, Eve, City of Villians, some DnD thing, and a free one where you played three characters at once that I downloaded solely because I liked the look of the funky character outfits. CoV was best, because I just loved making lost of awesome characters. The portrait generator in Eve was also fab. Man, I sure do love creating characters. Like that old game Twilight 2000. Never played the damn thing, but it sure did have a great character generator. And I want an RPG with the strengths and weaknesses system like in Daggerfall. I'm hungry, I want a sandwich.

If you want all the confirmed info about the game that we know as of now its here:

http://www.wodonlinenews.net/Wiki/tabid/64...Darkness+MMORPG

Its not a lot by far but its something.

I have my eye on secret world as well. Not sure how I feel about it. I hopped on board AoC 3 months after launch and it was still a mess and continued to be. I hear it is JUST now shaping up and all the rough edges are smooth. So while I am hoping for the best with secret world I am expecting a poor launch with funcoms track record of AA and AoC. I will wait a month or two after launch see what kind of feedback there is and decide then if I will use it to tie me over until WoD comes out or not. I will say SW LOOKS interesting and the concept is unique for a MMORPG.

Twilight 2000 the PnP RPG you are refering too or did they make a CRPG of it?

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

- It is believed the setting will be placed in the Vampire: The Requiem setting/rules as WW has stated many times Vampire: The Masquerade, or Old World of Darkness (OWoD) is dead in their eyes.
*sighs yet again*

I know there's no public information yet, but here are my three questions if I get to ask the devs

Which WoD the game is going to use, old or new?

(Preferably the old one, since it's deeper and more...massive)

Will it be a directed experience or a sandbox?

(CCP, of course, is THE master of sandbox MMORPGs, and the WoD setting lends itself very well to a sandbox style game like EVE Online. But storytelling is the cornerstone of WoD, so I'm a bit torn here)

Will it include Changelings?

(Must be yes or else I won't play it!)

I know there's no public information yet, but here are my three questions if I get to ask the devs

Which WoD the game is going to use, old or new?

(Preferably the old one, since it's deeper and more...massive)

Will it be a directed experience or a sandbox?

(CCP, of course, is THE master of sandbox MMORPGs, and the WoD setting lends itself very well to a sandbox style game like EVE Online. But storytelling is the cornerstone of WoD, so I'm a bit torn here)

Will it include Changelings?

(Must be yes or else I won't play it!)

As the wiki states while there is no confirmed info its pretty much a given the setting will be NWoD not OWoD (new/old). Since WW has publicly stated the OWoD is now defunct in their eyes theres little reason to assume they are going to ressurect it. But stranger things have happened certainly. And there is the possibility we could get a hybrid MMORPG version. Its one of those situation of hope for the best (if you are a OWoD fan) but expect the worst (per se).

As for changling I wouldn't hold my breath either (at least on initial release) the press who went to the studio and saw concept art for the MMO reported he only saw art of vamps and what looked like werewolves. Of course that does not mean their won't be but IMO changling seems to be too much of a sliver fan base to cater to vs the amount of work it would require to add to the game. But who knows. If I was a betting man I'd say, at best, on initial release we are getting vamps, werewolves and mages. We'll see how close I am next year. :lol:

Edited by TheHarlequin

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

(CCP, of course, is THE master of sandbox MMORPGs

The master? They only have EVE, the next game doesn't even have a release date.

@TheHarlequin: It's an MMO, until it is actually released and proves otherwise you ALWAYS expect the worst(or get severely disappointed).

(CCP, of course, is THE master of sandbox MMORPGs

The master? They only have EVE, the next game doesn't even have a release date.

@TheHarlequin: It's an MMO, until it is actually released and proves otherwise you ALWAYS expect the worst(or get severely disappointed).

Actually you could say that about PC games in general, not just MMOs, and still be accurate :lol:

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente