Buying two new PC's

Hurlshort

I need to build or buy two new PC's for my mother-in-law's business. She needs them to be able to run quickbooks and typical office software, and they need to be easy to network together so they can share files, printers, and an internet connection. I'm pretty comfortable with the hardware aspects, but I'm not too sure what OS to get.

Should I go Vista or 7? I'm familiar with Vista, I have it on my own PC. But I've heard good things about 7. My biggest concern is the networking of the two, I want an easy to setup network. We also used to have a server running Windows 2000, but I'm under the impression that a server is pointless for such a small network. Is that true? The old PC's ran XP and it was not easy configuring the network.

I'm also questioning whether I should build them or not. I can get a pretty decent desktop with W7 already installed at Fry's for $400, I'm not sure it would be much cheaper to buy the components separately. I guess I can probably knock a hundred bucks off that, but I'm not sure if that is worth my time and potential problems I might create for myself putting it together.

If all that's going to be in the network are those two, Windows 7 is the way to go. Homegroups are ideal for that scenario. Add in non-windows7 computers and it's kinda crap though, but then you still got the same basic networking that is in vista, so there is no reason to go with vista over 7.

If you build them, any time anything goes slightly wrong they'll blame you. It's just human nature. Buy them out of a box and don't lose your weekends.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I need to build or buy two new PC's for my mother-in-law's business. She needs them to be able to run quickbooks and typical office software, and they need to be easy to network together so they can share files, printers, and an internet connection. I'm pretty comfortable with the hardware aspects, but I'm not too sure what OS to get.

Should I go Vista or 7? I'm familiar with Vista, I have it on my own PC. But I've heard good things about 7. My biggest concern is the networking of the two, I want an easy to setup network. We also used to have a server running Windows 2000, but I'm under the impression that a server is pointless for such a small network. Is that true? The old PC's ran XP and it was not easy configuring the network.

I'm also questioning whether I should build them or not. I can get a pretty decent desktop with W7 already installed at Fry's for $400, I'm not sure it would be much cheaper to buy the components separately. I guess I can probably knock a hundred bucks off that, but I'm not sure if that is worth my time and potential problems I might create for myself putting it together.

- Windows 7 without a doubt

- for 2 PCs you dont need a domain server but a file server (to store shared files, backups, etc) would still be helpful to have

- with 2 since you don't need a domain (unless you want to lock them down with group domain policy) use windows 7 home group function. Its basically the old workgroup feature but with more bells.

- buy the $400. ones. You wont same much (perhaps 10% to at best 20%) building but you will save a lot in support and building time.

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

• 3 weeks later...

For something like that, building isn't really worth the effort, but then again, I'm a lazy bastard, so I'm biased. Windows 7, for sure: Vista has no friends, and is in fact Cthulu's bastard child, except sans Cthulu's inherent win. Buy either a nettop like Mkreku said, or just a plain laptop.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS